What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

washer tool?

s10sakota

Well Known Member
I'm getting an order ready for AircraftSpruce for some little things I need. Well, not so little-I have to reorder a 5 foot length of flap hinge that I screwed up. I wonder what the shipping will cost on that??

I'm trying to find a washer tool. You know, the flat piece of metal used to hold and insert washers in hard to reach places (like the aileron bolts).

I've searched the aircraft spruce website and can't find one! It's got be there. Nothing comes up in the search function.

Anyone have a part number for the dang thing?

Thanks!!

I may have to do that. I'd like to just add it to this order to save additional shipping from ordering it someplace else.

Avery Tools

I think Avery has those made and is the only seller.
You'll get a set and those are excellent tools for inserting washers.

I just use some tape. Take a piece about and inch or two long. Place the washer just barely on one end, double the tape back on itself (adhesive to adhesive) and the other end of the tape is also just barely on the washer. You now have a handle to slide your washer into place. Once secured, pull on the tape and it will release.

A tiny drop of CA glue (super glue type) used to secure a washer to a scribe or the tip of a finger works well. Often the washer needs to go in a tight spot or around a corner where these washer wrench type of tools will not fit.

I simply took a wooden tounge depressor (these wide popcycle-stick like things) and made one out of them. Might wear out quicker, is easy to replace though.

Despite having the Avery washer tools I usually grab some tape especially if there is more than one washer in the stack.

I made my own that look just like the Avery ones. just take some scrap aluminum stock drill a hole a tiny bit smaller than the washer, slit the center with a bandsaw, deburr and adjust the final touches to fit the washer. In adjustment ensure a three point contact so the washer does not rotate when touched off center (happens a lot)

About 20 min each.

Dental floss

I use dental floss, you thread all the hardware through the holes, nuts washers, rod ends, then just start pulling the floss tight, the hardware aligns up.
You can the start working the bolt in, since the dental floss is so thin. Mint kinds works the best for some reason.

This is what I use - in fact it took about 30 seconds to make from a scrap of .032 Al strip and served the entire build.

14810749849_9a31a9eaab_m.jpg
14810917997_7327a295e2_m.jpg

Last edited:
Back