What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall penetration locations Q.

az_gila

Well Known Member
This is for a -6A, but since I am following DWG 19 of the 7/9 plans I thought I would ask here.

Are the locations of the throttle and carb heat control cable critical in the vertical direction.

The -6A is getting to be a hybrid with the newer battery location and heat box, but some of the older -6 stuff is still behind the firewall.

I would like to move the throttle location 0.5 to 0.75 inch lower and move the carb heat penetration 0.25 inch lower.

The engine will be a standard O-360 with a carb.

Since no engine is attached I can't tell if these location changes are critical to cable routing ahead of the firewall - any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Gil,

Sounds pretty much like mine: -6A with 0-360 (carb), using the -7A firewall penetration layout, firewall front side battery location, and firewall back side fuel pump location. Also used Van's supplied engine control cables. I did toss the Van's vertical console engine control cable mount, opting for a horizontal control arrangement across the bottom edge of the panel.

With regard to your questions on throttle and carb heat vertical locations through the firewall: Wouldn't you know it, I don't have any good photos of that area....but I could be convinced to take a few if you wanted to see what it looks like. Off the top of my head, I do know things are tight in that area because of the nose gear bracing on the engine mount. Also, moving the throttle cable hole down may mean the firewall - throttle cable bracket - throttle arm run may not line up as well. Not sure if this would cause any issues.

Bottom line is Van's -7 firewall penetration locations did work for me. I am glad I did not have to figure them out myself. Same goes for the control cable lengths.

I also have a 6A and have been wondering how I would determine the penetration locations, so watching closely here.

Would either of you mind sending me a copy of the -7 firewall plan if you have it in digital format? I will PM my email address.

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks guys... I drilled the firewall holes, with a minor change downwards for the throttle and carb heat locations to clear a brake line behind the firewall.

The mixture cable location seems more critical on the -A models due to the nose gear weldment parts.

If -6 guys need a reference to Vans DWG 19 dimensions, use 10.32 inches at the vertical dimension from the lower rivet line to the (0,0) X-Y point on the RV-7 drawing.

The appropriate snippet of the DWG 19 is here -

Last edited:
Gil,
Glad it worked out. Yea, forgot about the brake line crossing through on the inside. Either I got lucky and missed the brake line......or I did the brake line after I knew where the holes would be......don't remember anymore. :)

Larry,
I have a pdf version of dwg 19 that Gil posted. If you still want a copy, PM me your e-mail address. Just an FYI: I did receive a full sized copy of dwg 19 (and a few others related to the FWF hardware) included in the FWF kit from Van's. If you don't buy the FWF kit from Van's, you can still order the print separately.

Back