What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS Mount to Engine Mount Ring

Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
I will be mounting my GPS antennas under the cowling and like the idea of attaching the mounting plate to the engine mount ring, but I haven't been able to find any photos of this kind of mount. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

No photo, but i did it. One or two adel clamps and a piece of Al sheet sized and shaped to fit the antenna. Pretty straight forward and no problems over the last 4 years.

No photo, but i did it. One or two adel clamps and a piece of Al sheet sized and shaped to fit the antenna. Pretty straight forward and no problems over the last 4 years.

No other supports than the two Adel clamps? So a flat sheet of aluminum cantilevered back from the mount ring?

Here's what I did on the engine mount...

I added an 063 angle underneath to stiffen the mount. Notice how the adels clamp through the angle and plate. If you plan your puck mounts correctly, you can use the angle with nut plates to attach some of the GPS puck screws into. Then add more nut plates for the remaining screws.

IMG_0008_zpsa92f344f.jpg

IMG_0008_1_zps7c72b95c.jpg

IMG_0004_zps4a7bf91d.jpg

I added an 063 angle underneath to stiffen the mount. Notice how the adels clamp through the angle and plate. If you plan your puck mounts correctly, you can use the angle with nut plates to attach some of the GPS puck screws into. Then add more nut plates for the remaining screws.

Thank you! Very helpful. I just couldn't see supporting it on just one side, but I guess it works!

The antennas are light..

Thank you! Very helpful. I just couldn't see supporting it on just one side, but I guess it works!

It is a very secure mount for such light equipment.

The Adel clamps and 063 angle are mounted first. Flush screws into the angle, and metal locknuts. Then the plate with the antennas attaches to the angle using the GPS mounting screws and nut plates in the angle. That way you can remove the plate by removing the (4 in my case) GPS antenna screws that screw into the nut plates under the angle and still leave the angle in place. Additional nut plates are attached to the plate itself to capture those other antenna puck screws.

GPS Mount

I riveted a short piece of hinge to the firewall and riveted a piece on aluminum to it that spanned over to the engine mount. I then glued a piece of insulation to the bottom of the aluminum and drilled two holes so I could zip tie the aluminum plate to the engine mount loose enough to allow vibration allowance. This way I could cut the zip tie and pull the hinge pin and completely move the GPS mount completely out of the way. I also mounted duel GPS antennas and a WX weather antenna to the mount plate.

Russ

Back