What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Free Prop Balance with VAF dues payment

brianwallis

VAF moderator
No strings attached. None whatsoever... (Other than the completely obvious-VAF dues have to be paid in full) You don't even have to make a donation. Life is good(made it back from Afg in one piece), decided to share. Got the new super awesome prop balance machine from Dynavibe. You gotta pay for the balancing hardware. Lyc only. Gotta schedule around family time but very happy to help the RV community. 62GA Seven Lakes by Lake Jackson in Georgia. PM me. 3k grass - land to the north - takeoff to the south 122.9. Still need to have a hangar party.... I should be ready in a week or so. Still busy with a 3 month honey-doo list. COMSINK comes first ya know... 250.00 value. We can also inspect your tail for cracks at the same time if you want - No charge.
Best,
Brian Wallis

Last edited:
Brian,
First and foremost I'm glad your back and in one piece also,Thank you for your service! Outstanding offer,please consider a donation requirement to VAF for your services as...Well there needed! All this said, I have to ask, What does COMSINK stand for?
RHill

COMSINK...

Brian,
First and foremost I'm glad your back and in one piece also,Thank you for your service! Outstanding offer,please consider a donation requirement to VAF for your services as...Well there needed! All this said, I have to ask, What does COMSINK stand for?
RHill
Great to be back, thank you!
Commander of Sink, 1 each (mama)
Example- Better ask COMSINK before you go flying...

Last edited:
Prop Balance

This is an offer I will gladly take you up on. And Thank you for your service to our country. I'm in Enterprise near Mother Rucker. Would love to set up a Saturday in next 3-4 wks. Let me know. Tim

Free is for me

Brian;

If you get down this way, I would like to have one done, I'll even buy ya lunch!:D

Free Lunch...

Hello Mike!!! That buffet down by your place was mighty good!!! Probably why I'm trying to slim down from being in my "fifth trimester" :) It was only 117 in the shade over there....

Last edited:
Really odd timing

Brian, i just searched the forums for "balance" to try to find someone around here that does prop balancing. I was also going to PM you to see if you were still doing it since you did such a good job on the RV-4 a couple of years ago. So like I said, really weird timing to see this thread as the first one listed in the search results. Anyhow, a buddy and I recently went in together on an RV-8, and the Sensenich up front could use a weight or two here or there. I think I've still got your number and will give you a call to set something up sometime soon.

My Pleasure!!

Congrats on the purchase of the -8!!!! I've been playing with my new prop balance machine (who wouldn't) and it's beyond cool. They are pretty expensive but this one will show you if you have a weak cylinder, an out of balance alternator and tons of other stuff. It's one of the expensive ones but well worth it! I'll post some pics soon. Would love to see your -8 and thank you for the compliment on the last prop balance. I'll check the schedule and get back to you. I've had a ton of work to catch up on since I got back but I'll have a spot open soon! (For those of you who don't know Ryan, he is good people. His hospitality is second to none!)
Best,
Brian

Last edited:
First volunteer

0.00 IPS at 004 degrees, got the picture to prove it. Mike, it was a pleasure to meet you and your family.

I know it's not an RV but good things happen when you pay your VAF dues!

Last edited:
A couple of months ago when Jay posted about the stellar results with his prop balancing, I wondered if our Arrow had a problem. Sure, the plane was vibrating a bit, but was it the prop? When Brian so graciously offered up his services, I found it dovetailed nicely with a planned trip to Florida, so I gave him a shout. He was nice enough to take my non-RV Lycoming as a subject. On the way down, I asked my wife to make a mental note of how the plane felt, for comparisons sake, since she has not spent as much time 'getting used to' things I might take for granted.

My newly installed 430W had no clue where 62GA was, but WingX knew, so I got some practice putting a user waypoint into the Garmin. Dropped into the grass and started searching. My teen non-pilot steered me to the wrong set of folks waving at us on rollout, but eventually I found Brian all the way at the North end. His friend Herb allowed us the concrete ramp just off the runway to do our work, making for an easy parking job. Brian and his neighbor Hank warmly greeted us, and as Brian and I set about working on the prop, Hank turned the keys to his car over to my family to head out for some southern hospitality and some food.

Brian pulled out his shiny Dynavibe GX2 and let me tell you that is a slick little machine. It can find flaws you don?t even know to look for. Yes, there were jokes about personal hygiene! With the utmost of professionalism, Brian went through the process with me, to include a quick look over the engine to point out a couple of minor items I might want to look into.

First run found a discrepancy of 0.26 Inches Per Second (slightly rough, according to the references). We found an appropriate place for two washers thanks to the easy-to-use interface of the GX2, and gave it another go. Got it down to 0.09 IPS, just under ?spec?, and Brian asked if I wanted to go for more? Oh, yeah, we did not come all this way for ?spec?. One more washer, and what a joy: 0.00 Mr. Blutarsky!

As we buttoned things up, I was most appreciative of the sales job everyone gave my wife as to why an RV is needed in the family. I actually heard her say, somewhat forlornly, ?It has been YEARS since I?ve done a barrel roll.? And after max performing the Arrow to get out of Seven Lakes, I did mention the performance of an RV would have made that much more comfortable. So we shall see . . .

They say you don?t know what you don?t know, and when it comes to vibrations in an airframe, how true. Night and day difference in smoothness on our hop down to Jacksonville. Really, if you get the chance, go see Brian. He?s got the best gear in the Dynavibe GX2, he knows his stuff, and you won?t meet a finer person in the State of Georgia. Check that, COMSINK is a better person, for letting him take the time to do good work like this!

Thank you

Thank you for the kind words Mike. I really enjoyed meeting your family and did my best to convince your wife that you needed an RV. I let her sit in my glass cockpit RV-3 and I think we have her convinced!
Best,
Brian

Brian, i just searched the forums for "balance" to try to find someone around here that does prop balancing. I was also going to PM you to see if you were still doing it since you did such a good job on the RV-4 a couple of years ago. So like I said, really weird timing to see this thread as the first one listed in the search results. Anyhow, a buddy and I recently went in together on an RV-8, and the Sensenich up front could use a weight or two here or there. I think I've still got your number and will give you a call to set something up sometime soon.

Hey Ryan,
Let me know when you're going. Maybe a two ship? Wait, you're faster. I'll leave first.

Top of machine

It has a card and multiple ports. It will do a screen shot and save it to the card for your computer to print it out. I can take pics of the photo sensor and accelerometer if you want.

When I get back from where you just got back from, I'll try to head out your way and stop in, maybe we can inspect my tail or something. I need to get back to GA to get my paint fixed in Griffin anyway. Walt balanced my prop about a year ago. Hope you are enjoying the new toy!

Offer has expired!

If you PM'd me or posted here, yours is still free. Otherwise you gotta put some money in the diaper fund. Size 6, 3 boxes ought to do it for either a prop balance or W&B if you are feeling generous.
Best,
Brian

Last edited:
That's a sh*ty deal. What a party pooper!

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :p

Jump on it, folks. The kid is only going to grow and the price will go up! Supply and demand! Worth every Huggie!

Back