What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lower oil pressure with camguard

Bavafa

Well Known Member
I was wondering if any one has experienced a lower oil pressure when adding camguard additive? I did an oil change and have added camguard, about 9oz in 7Q oil and my oil pressure was at the lowest that I have ever seen in my engine. It has been always stayed between 78-85 PSI depending on temp, but the other day by the end of a 30 minute flight it was at 56 psi with the oil temp in its normal range of 181F

I've not noticed any significant change in my oil pressure with CamGuard added to the oil. I'm running Phillips 20W50 multi-weight oil and put in about 3/4 of the 1 pint bottle to 7 quarts oil. On my long trip to Idaho last month, there were periods of long climbs at slower airspeeds where my oil temps hit 200 and oil pressure stayed right around 80 psi.

I use 8 OZ of Camguard to 7 Qts Aeroshell W100 Plus, no change in oil pressure or engine temp noted in 300 hrs.

I was wondering if any one has experienced a lower oil pressure when adding camguard additive? I did an oil change and have added camguard, about 9oz in 7Q oil and my oil pressure was at the lowest that I have ever seen in my engine. It has been always stayed between 78-85 PSI depending on temp, but the other day by the end of a 30 minute flight it was at 56 psi with the oil temp in its normal range of 181F

What rpm was the engine running with 56 psi? As low as 25 psi is "in the green" at idle rpm.

Another datapoint for you - I've used Camguard for 2-3 years (wow, did you see what spell correct did before I changed it?) and have never noticed a reduction in oil pressure.

Last edited:
Thanks folks for sharing your experince, it seems it was a mistake on my part that I looked at my oil pressure at very low RPM (800+) . I went for a short flight again today and all is normal.

Camguard and Aeroshell W100 Plus. I think that is redundant. Maybe I am wrong, but the Plus has almost the same stuff as the Camguard in it. I have been using Aeroshell W100 and adding Camguard at the oil change and then use Aeroshell W100 Plus when adding oil between changes in my Columbia 400.

Camguard and Aeroshell W100 Plus. I think that is redundant. Maybe I am wrong, but the Plus has almost the same stuff as the Camguard in it. I have been using Aeroshell W100 and adding Camguard at the oil change and then use Aeroshell W100 Plus when adding oil between changes in my Columbia 400.

Lycoming seems to agree. I just watched (last night) the DVD that came with my new engine and they say this exactly, "Plus" does not need Camguard. Has this changed?

The Aeroshell Plus has 0.9% Butylated/isopropylated triphenylphosphate anti-wear, 0.05% rust inhibitor and 0.5% copper corrosion inhibitor.

Camguard is 100% active and when used at 5% provides vastly improved performance over the Plus. It provides 25 times the rust inhibitor, much better anti-wear performance, true anti-scuff (does not need activation), deposit control (the only aircraft oil product that offers this) and seal conditioning (the Aeroshell anti-scuff attacks seals but Camguard protects them). Here is a 24 hour test conducted on a new push-rod tube seal after heating the Aeroshell Plus (or 15W-50) with a little water and a piece of copper. http://aslcamguard.com/aircraft/test-data/seal-conditioning/

There are no chemical similarities between Camguard and the $0.15 worth of additives found in a quart of Aeroshell Plus.

Ed

. . . .
There are no chemical similarities between Camguard and the $0.15 worth of additives found in a quart of Aeroshell Plus.

Ed

Ah - marketing. With no data, thought it was might just be some additional ZDP, did not know it was to address the corrosion failure mode. This would then apply to roller followers too - - - I will trust the chemist - Thanks

CamGuard

Im just thinking about additives and the effect on oil weight I bought a 182 from a guy that lived up north and when he changed his oil he added two bottles of AvBlend that replaced a gt of oil and he used 15-50 so when cold it was less than 15-50 and cyl lasted 400 hrs before replacement .
If you add a bottle of Cam Guard to your oil and it has a lite weight carrier I wonder what it doesn to weight of oil overall.
Bob

The question of oil (brands and viscosity) and additives (included in the oil or manually added with an oil change) is in my experience (which goes a relatively long way back) a topic that brings out deeply rooted personal opinion and preferences.

I remember conversations between my father and his best friend about the advantages of single-weight versus multi-viscosity oils. They were at opposite ends of the debate, so the sessions were lively ones indeed.

For the first time in my piston-engine aircraft experience, I've got a factory new IO-360 with mineral oil for the break-in period. I didn't have any at the hangar, so I began looking for some and a fellow aviator happened to mention "The Mineral Oil Myth." I researched it and came away with the conclusion as stated by more than one engine manufacturer rep, that engines have been and will be successfully broken in with straight mineral oil or ashless dispersant types.

More to the point in this discussion are articles by Mike Busch, who supposedly is operating a single and a twin with engines that are about 900 hours past TBO. I've been told he's doing this with strict adherence to the principle of LOP operation, Phillips X/C 20W50, and Camguard. One of his key points is that with Camguard, there's no reason to pay the extra for higher priced oil.

I don't have the expertise to comment on the validity of that opinion, except to say that I've used Phillips exclusively since 1996 or thereabouts and have no reason at this point to suspect that it has negatively affected the condition of the engines on any of the three airplanes I've owned. I began using Camguard about two years ago because it seems like a really good idea.

And there you have it, a feel-good reason that hopefully is based on scientific fact and not old wives' tales.

Im just thinking about additives and the effect on oil weight I bought a 182 from a guy that lived up north and when he changed his oil he added two bottles of AvBlend that replaced a gt of oil and he used 15-50 so when cold it was less than 15-50 and cyl lasted 400 hrs before replacement .
If you add a bottle of Cam Guard to your oil and it has a lite weight carrier I wonder what it does to weight of oil overall.
Bob

Avblend is very light mineral (carrier) oil (0W-5) with 1% ether. Camguard is comprised of 11 additives and is 100% active. It does not contain carrier (diluent) oil.

Ed

low oil pressure

I have noticed my oil pressure lower with Camguard also. At least it is lower now, and since I stared using it. Not sure if its a coincidence or what, but it is lower.
Jim
RV-6 O-320-D1A

Just as a follow up, since the oil change and this post, I have put a few more hours on the plane and the oil pressure has been pretty normal, about 77-79 PSI when the oil temp is in the 180-182F range.

Back