What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine supplier choices

MarkW

Well Known Member
Friend
OK, I am now shopping for an engine. I want a IO-320.
I would prefer a PMag on one side.
My choices seem to be Van's, ECI assembled Titan and Superior XP-320.

Van's - I don't get to pick any options like the PMag but Lycoming seems solid. But where do you get customer support if you have a engine question?

ECI - I can get any option I want including the Precision Silverhawk instead of the ECI fuel injection. Customer service with the cylinders seems a little shady.

Superior - I can get my options and it seems there would be customer service if needed.

The prices are very similar.
I am limiting my choices to 0 zero time engines.
Thoughts or other choices?

When buying through Van's, Lycoming provides support. I've only called them once, but they were helpful.

Aerosport Power would also be another source for the IO-320.

I don't know if Barrett Precision Engines are selling new IO-320 or not these days. I would give Allen or Rhonda a call.

Both of these companies provide outstanding support.

bob

... ECI ... Customer service with the cylinders seems a little shady....

I had 4 of the group B cylinders that were still under warranty when the AD came out. ECi stood behind them and, as an anecdotal sample of 1, ECi treated me very well. I have no complaints about their customer service.

Dan

Aerosport Power ...

One of the Vans guys told me Aerosport furnished some of the engines for the Vans demos. That's a pretty good testimonial ... and the main reason I bought my IO-320 from Aerosport. :D

I had 4 of the group B cylinders that were still under warranty when the AD came out. ECi stood behind them and, as an anecdotal sample of 1, ECi treated me very well. I have no complaints about their customer service.

Dan

x2 on this issue.

Mark

I have purchased six engines from Bart Lalonde at Aerosport Power in Kamloops. Couldn't be happier

Aerosport power engines come with a THREE year warranty that starts when you do your first flight. Not one year from the date of purchase like some other suppliers.

carr

Mark

I have purchased six engines from Bart Lalonde at Aerosport Power in Kamloops. Couldn't be happier

Aerosport power engines come with a THREE year warranty that starts when you do your first flight. Not one year from the date of purchase like some other suppliers.

carr

I have posted this a dozen times or so, so here is #13. I had a cylinder issue at 400 hours (partial stuck valve) and out of warranty. Bart said "that shouldn't happen at 400 hours" pull it and send it to me. I got the cylinder back with a complete gasket kit, every part and piece, and the total charge to me was freight. That is above and beyond good service. So, I plug Aerosport Power any chance I can.

I have had others comment on Aerosport Power but when I saw that they were in BC, Canada I assumed it would not be worth the hassle.
???

I have had others comment on Aerosport Power but when I saw that they were in BC, Canada I assumed it would not be worth the hassle.
???
I suspect the bulk of their products are shipped to the US. It was not a hassle for me. I just bought a fuel pump from them too. Best price I could
find. (thanks for the suggestion Russ)
The fuel pump arrived in two days standard freight, but I am in the NW, not in FL.

I have had others comment on Aerosport Power but when I saw that they were in BC, Canada I assumed it would not be worth the hassle.???

I thought the same but was convinced by my RV mentor who has three from Aerosport Power. He was right that there was no hassle. I think the extra cost for crossing the border was about $100.

The prices are very similar.

Really? Oranges to oranges?
If so, your experience is different than mine.

3-4 yrs ago, I found no less expensive "new engine" option than Lyc through Van.

No disrespect to the other vendors. As it is reported here, I'm sure the workmanship and service is good.

Last edited:
I found no less expensive "new engine" option than Lyc through Van.

That's what I found when shopping two years ago. I was willing to pay the suprisingly small difference to get a three year warranty from first flight over one year from purchase, especially since I knew my first flight might not be within the year from purchase.

I was willing to pay the suprisingly small difference to get a three year warranty from first flight over one year from purchase, especially since I knew my first flight might not be within the year from purchase.

That would be a good poll. How many flew within the first year of buying their engine. I think very few. I know I didn't.

I really wanted to use Barrett and had made up my mind to do so until I tried to get a Quote, It was like pulling my own teeth! Yes they are busy, yes they are popular but, when I have to make 4 phone calls so I can give you 32K? Sorry, ya lost me.

I really appreciate all the replys and help.
I am leaning toward the Van's but there is not much info on the engine.
I don't know the FI brand and I sure would like to have a PMag.
I guess for the price I can sell one of the Slick mags and buy a Pmag.
Paint options would be nice as well but maybe not a deal breaker.
It helps to have the $1000 package discount if you buy a prop but I would like to have a Catto. However the new Sensenich looks nice if we could get some feedback on that.
Decisions, decisions decisions.

I just installed (well, Lars did the install, I watched) a new Aerosport Power XIO-320 on my RV-9A build. Can't speak to its running performance, but the guarantee, the reputation, the knowledge of the person I spoke with a few times to finalize my choices, all combine to where I wouldn't consider anyone else. Especially after 2 other builders in town used other sellers in the USA and had some issues that caused them heartaches for a while (all resolved well fortunately). The only issue as to AP being in Canada is, they needed my SSN for US customs. It arrived on the day they said in perfect shape, well-packed in a strong wooden pallet+crate.

I suspect the bulk of their products are shipped to the US. It was not a hassle for me. I just bought a fuel pump from them too. Best price I could
find. (thanks for the suggestion Russ)
The fuel pump arrived in two days standard freight, but I am in the NW, not in FL.
Great John, I had wondered what you ended up doing.

In 2006 I spent $13,000 on parts from Aerosport Power for a very major O/H, they are great, I did not buy a hole engine, just parts, made several calls and everything I asked for the answer was yes we have that, that?s the answer I like! No hassle shipping, no taxes either, I?m sold on Aerosport Power.

Morning All, the base price for an assembled 0320 engine from ECI is right at $24,700 depending on accessories, mag set up etc. This includes 2hrs test cell time.

Joe T

Figured I might as well add this in here as a datapoint for those interested, having just ordered a new donk from ECI.

An OX-340S with:
  • 7.2:1 Pistons
  • Dynafocal 1 mount
  • 14mm plug bosses & automotive plugs all round
  • Dual P-Mags
  • Low-pressure, engine-driven fuel pump
  • 2 hours break-in on their test cell
  • But without a carb

is going to cost me $25,604, including crating but excluding shipping - which given I live in Australia is likely to cost more than the engine anyway. :D A new carb would add ~$1,500 to the price, but I'm going to install the locally-made Rotec TBI in its place.

The -340S with the low compression pistons will allow regular running of Mogas with an increased detonation margin while still delivering ~160HP, and also fitting in the footprint of an O-320. Cheaper flying is always a good thing.

Last edited:
Back