What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EFII fuel pumps

gafitts

anybody know about EFII fuel pumps? They combine the electric fuel pump and filter in one unit with an internal return that does not need a return line to the fuel selector valve

Last edited by a moderator:
The filter is actually a separate unit - the pump and recirc valves are all one unit - but regardless, we have their pump in our RV-3, and love it. Easy installation, robust design - very high quality.

Paul

Question, Do you have the entire EFII set up? I was looking into this for my future engine. Thanks, Bret

Brent,
I have the entire EFII setup...it's VERY nice and ideally suited for mogas! I hope to be flying by December.

Brent,
I have the entire EFII setup...it's VERY nice and ideally suited for mogas! I hope to be flying by December.

Mark, did you have to do the fuel map, or is there one pre installed? and is this sequential port fuel injection? I just can't see spraying fuel in on a closed intake valve like all the other FI lycomings.

EFII

Hi Bret,
The system comes with a fuel map.
A few minutes of fine tuning on any given installation will dial it in for your specific combination.
Our system is a multi port batch fire system. Sequential injector firing adds complication and cost that yield little to no benefit in this application.

Robert Paisley

(slight thread drift...)

Bret, a friend at my field (Yolo County Airport) has the EFII setup on the parallel valve Lycoming in his RV-7. I think he goes by jetmech on this board, maybe he will see this thread. I'm sure he'd be happy to show it to you if you can make it over the hill. It looks nice. Being a long-time automotive EFI (small block Fords) guy, I'm intrigued.

We now return you to the original thread...

I just cant see spending 30-40K on a powerplant with the basic FI systems out there, I do like the EFII set up. But....

Robert, can you tell me if you have plans for a dual system for redundency? dual injectors, crank trigers, and computers, I'm sure you have a reliable setup, but what happens if (the) crank triger dies, Thanks, Bret

Redundancy

Hi Bret,
We have started building dual ECU systems on a limited basis.
These include dual ECUs, dual crank triggers, dual MAP sensors, and dual intake air temp sensors.

One ECU runs the top plugs, one ECU runs the bottom plugs, each ECU has it's own sensors, and the injectors can be switched from one ECU to the other.

The market has demanded this option, so we will be providing it.
That being said, our single ECU system when used with a redundant bus system such as our Bus Manager
http://protekperformance.com/aircraft_parts/Bus_Manager/Bus_Manager.htm
is a very robust and safe system.

There is always a trade off when adding complexity to any system.
'Simple and robust' when implemented properly is a good formula.

Don't forget cost - doubling the components in a system adds significantly to the price of the system.

Either way, single ECU or dual ECU, we can provide a solution.

Robert

Hi Bret,
We have started building dual ECU systems on a limited basis.
These include dual ECUs, dual crank triggers, dual MAP sensors, and dual intake air temp sensors.

One ECU runs the top plugs, one ECU runs the bottom plugs, each ECU has it's own sensors, and the injectors can be switched from one ECU to the other.

The market has demanded this option, so we will be providing it.
That being said, our single ECU system when used with a redundant bus system such as our Bus Manager
http://protekperformance.com/aircraft_parts/Bus_Manager/Bus_Manager.htm
is a very robust and safe system.

There is always a trade off when adding complexity to any system.
'Simple and robust' when implemented properly is a good formula.

Don't forget cost - doubling the components in a system adds significantly to the price of the system.

Either way, single ECU or dual ECU, we can provide a solution.

Robert

OK then, that sounds great! I will give you a call in a few years! still building....

OK then, that sounds great! I will give you a call in a few years! still building....

Brent,
Robert is a great guy to work with and produces, IMHO, the best and most modern fuel injection and ignition system available today. I think it's only a matter of time before the entire industry goes with this type, or very similar product.*Hopefully I'll have my 7 in the air by December and that I'll have lots of good news to report. Once I have the 40 hours flown off, and I'm free to roam the country, one of my first flights is going to be out to California to let Robert see it and give it it's final blessing. If you would like, we can stay in touch with you and I'll fly her to Nevada so you can study the setup first hand.

Mark

Brent,
Robert is a great guy to work with and produces, IMHO, the best and most modern fuel injection and ignition system available today. I think it's only a matter of time before the entire industry goes with this type, or very similar product.*Hopefully I'll have my 7 in the air by December and that I'll have lots of good news to report. Once I have the 40 hours flown off, and I'm free to roam the country, one of my first flights is going to be out to California to let Robert see it and give it it's final blessing. If you would like, we can stay in touch with you and I'll fly her to Nevada so you can study the setup first hand.

Mark

Sounds great, can't wait to see it!

Back