What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on fuselage belly skin

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
I have found an RV7A here where the builder did not install the two rows of plate nuts and screws where the inboard bottom wing skin, overlaps with the fuselage belly skin.
My question is if this is a safety issue or is it something one can live with.
Your answer will be greatly appreciated because if it has to be fixed, I have to pull the wings.

Skin

I don't think it's a safety issue, but there probably will be minor paint chaffing due to vibration.

Tinnerman nuts.

Jan, if you'll take off the wing root upper fairing strip, you can use those slip-on female screw plates that use coarse-threaded screws...similar to wood screws, to hold the lower belly skin snug. Later on, you can slip the wings out a couple of inches to install permanent nut plates on the same holes.

Best,

Hi Pierre,
Very good plan :D.
Now to find those here in dark Africa.
My biggest concern is if it is a sefety issue.

I was told by one of vans enginers that these screws where structural I would call vans to confirm, better be safe than sorry.

Those are part of the structure. How much they play into the overall strength of the design is a question for Van's, but I would not fly that airplane.
At each CI, I insure that I take a screw driver to those screws and I can take up a little bit of play in some of them every time. Same with wing tips for whatever reason.

I have now received the reply from the mothership (Ken)
Guys please take note

Ken advised as follows:
That belly skin-to-wing joint is structural and should be intact. We would not recommend flying without it.

I have now received the reply from the mothership (Ken)
Guys please take note

Ken advised as follows:
That belly skin-to-wing joint is structural and should be intact. We would not recommend flying without it.

I was wrong!:eek: Never stop learning, do we?:D

Back