What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 autopilot

johns4689

Well Known Member
I need some help. First, I built my RV-12 with the Dynon D100 EFIS and a Dynon D10 EMS. I just installed the Dynon autopilot and AP74. When I do the DSAB configuration everything is identified and active. The Servo calibration says it was successful. Now the problem. When I do the Servo Test it does not go all the way to pitch up and roll right. It moves in that direction but not all the way. I then pressed NO and start over with the Servo Calibration. The Servo Test still does not maker a full travel to pitch up and right roll. For the heck of it I pressed YES on that test and the Servo's should go to pitch down and roll left. It does not. It goes to pitch down and roll right. But not all the way in that direction. What am I doing wrong? Is it a linkage length adjustment? When I'm out of the test mode the AP:OFF-OFF appears in the lower right of the D100 and I can turn on the HDG and ALT and the servos move when I move the heading bug. I hope I gave someone enought information as to what I'm seeing. Thanks!

John, If my memory serves my a/p behaved in a similar manner yet worked fine once it was flown. Have you tried to use the a/p in flight? I seem to remember that I was a bit surprised that the servo's did not behave quite the way I expected, but all was actually well.

John,
I agree with Dave. The servos do not move the controls full travel during the test but they should move in the correct directions. I remember a small movement, less than expected.

Tony

No, I haven't flown the plane yet with the autopilot. I'm waiting for the canopy to get back from the paint shop. The only thing I found since posting was that when the controls are centered the servo and push-rods are not exactly perpendicular with each other. I intend to make the minor adjustment and then give it a try. I was also wondering what torque and sensitivity settings you had to use for your servos.

Last edited:
I just realized your are right up the road, I am just outside Oxford, Pa. on the Md. side. Drop me a PM if I can be of help. I used the book settings.

Hey folks,

Having flown the RV-12's autopilot with the D180/AP74 and the Skyview, I noted that the settings had to be changed to get it to work properly. I fiddled with it quite a bit on the way to Sebring this year and have it pretty well nailed down. The roll servo worked very well and took only minor tweaking. The pitch servo really took some experimenting to get it right.

What are the settings I use? I have to write them down and post them. Been meaning to do that for a while. I'll be down at the airport on Wednesday because I'm flying to Suffolk, Va. to receive the RV-1. I'll get the settings and post them Wednesday night.

As promised folks, these are the settings for the Skyview system autopilot as installed in New Blue. These work for me, hope they do for you.

Roll Axis:

Torque 100%
Sensetivity 5
Mode turn rate
Max bank angle 35 degrees
Turn rate target 1.5 deg/sec

Pitch Axis:

Torque 100%
Sensetivity 20
Defualt Climb VS 500 ft/min
Defualt desent VS 500 ft/min
Max AS 129 kts