What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Fuel Sender

newtech

Well Known Member
Patron
My G3X was a retrofit into my, 3 year flying, RV-7A. I have been flying with the G3X and put off converting my engine monitoring from the GRT EIS-4000 until now. My CHT, EGT, Fuel Flow and Current Sensor are usable with the G3X. I have new Fuel, Oil and Manifold Pressure Transducers along with a new tach Sensor. My big question is can my GRT (Princeton) Capacitive Fuel Level Sensors be used with the GRT?

Fuel probes incompatible with G3X?

We have kind of the same question.......... Years ago we installed Vision Microsystems (now JPI) fuel probes (XDucer Fuel Level 3010012). Our problem is the G3X isn?t compatible with the old probes. The frequencies from the probes are much higher than the P-300C probes required by the G3X. Has anyone found a way to adapt high frequency probes to the 600 Hz to 3.8 KHZ requirements of the G3X? Or, where can we get P-300C probes that are the same size as the old Vision Microsystems probes?

My G3X was a retrofit into my, 3 year flying, RV-7A. I have been flying with the G3X and put off converting my engine monitoring from the GRT EIS-4000 until now. My CHT, EGT, Fuel Flow and Current Sensor are usable with the G3X. I have new Fuel, Oil and Manifold Pressure Transducers along with a new tach Sensor. My big question is can my GRT (Princeton) Capacitive Fuel Level Sensors be used with the GRT?

Steve,

I am making the same transition of migrating my engine instrumentation from the EIS-4000 to the G3X. Could you share your experience of using your CHT & EGT probes with the G3X? I haven't been able to get definitive information on whether they will work or not with the G3X.

I'm still hesitating with the transition as the EIS-4000 has worked without fail for 6-1/2 yrs. and 750 hrs., while the G3X with 6 months and 50 hrs. has had a few hiccups.

Thanks,

Mike

Steve,

I am making the same transition of migrating my engine instrumentation from the EIS-4000 to the G3X. Could you share your experience of using your CHT & EGT probes with the G3X? I haven't been able to get definitive information on whether they will work or not with the G3X.

I'm still hesitating with the transition as the EIS-4000 has worked without fail for 6-1/2 yrs. and 750 hrs., while the G3X with 6 months and 50 hrs. has had a few hiccups.

Thanks,

Mike
Same boat, my EIS-4000 has been trouble free and my six months with the G3X has been a real love affair. Really only had one reboot in the air in the very beginning and has been extremely solid ever since. Would like to hear about the hickups.

I bought the Garmin Fuel, Oil and Manifold Pressure Transducers and Tach sensor. I am using the GRT Type J Thermocouple CHT probes, Type K EGT Probes, Hall Effect Current Sensor, Oil Temperature Sensor and Floscan Fuel Flow Transducer.

According to table 8-1 in the G3X Installation Manual the CHT and EGT thermocouples are compatible. I am pretty sure I answered my own question about the capacitance fuel senders as the Grand Rapids (Princeton) Senders are 0-5v output just like the Westach Senders Garmin supports so they should work.

I should be firing her up Friday of Saturday. Will let you know if it all plays out like I think it will:D

Hi folks,

There are several overlapping questions and statements in this thread, but I'll try to get it all sorted out! It's true that things start to get confusing when you start talking about capacitive fuel senders, due in part to the variety of ways the various sensor manufacturers have designed their fuel probes over the years. Here's a basic guide that should clear things up:

• The easiest thing to do is look at Appendix G of the G3X Install Manual. If the fuel senders you have are are shown in one of the wiring diagrams, all you have to do is follow the wiring guidance!
  • If your particular brand of fuel sender is not shown, the next thing to do is figure out if your fuel sender's signal conditioning box outputs a frequency signal or a voltage signal. Speaking loosely, some fuel sender "black boxes" take the frequency signal from the capacitor plates in the fuel tank and amplify it into a stronger frequency output, while others take the frequency input and turn it into a voltage output. Which type you have will determine how you connect it to your G3X system.
  • Next, take a look at Figure G-1.2 in the install manual. This figure shows how to hook up both types of capacitive fuel senders - the frequency kind, and the voltage kind.
  • If your fuel sender box outputs a frequency signal, use the frequency inputs on the GSU 73 (pins 36 and 38) and follow the wiring guidance for the P-300C senders, as shown at the top of Figure G-1.2. The maximum frequency the GSU 73 can handle on these inputs is 100 kHz, which is much higher than any frequency-ouput fuel sender box I've ever seen. Which is to say, pretty much any frequency-ouput fuel sender should work if you follow this wiring diagram.
  • If your fuel sender box outputs a voltage signal, use the analog voltage inputs on the GSU 73 (pins 25/5 and 64/44) and follow the wiring guidance for the Skysports/Westach senders, as shown at the bottom of Figure G-1.2. Make sure you're using the correct Transducer Power pin for your variety of sender box, and be sure to take a look at Note 8 for Appendix G.

Hope that helps. As always, if you have questions or difficulties, please don't hesitate to check with your dealer, who probably has this all figured out already from doing previous installations... or if you like, send us an email or pick up the phone. We're here to help!

- Matt

Last edited:
Back