What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12s to OSH!

Jetguy

Well Known Member
Its about that time to start this thread again. We are leaving North Texas Sunday morning the 24th at around 6amct to fly up to OSH. Planned arrival is about 4pmct. If any body would like to meet and fly up in their RV12 or similar speed plane let me know sound off. Or if some one would like to link up about 100 miles or so out from OSH and fly in together sound off.;) Marty are you going to be hosting a little get together at your Camp site for RV12 people this year?

Park in row 12

If all of the RV-12s parked in row 12, they would be easy to find. Although many will want to park closer to the flight line to show off their pride and joy.
Joe Gores

RV-12's at Oshkosh

I have decided to build the -12. I will be at Oshkosh for the first time to meet
other builders and hopefully see how it fits. Having never seen one in person.
How do I find the display area if there is one?
Jerry Martin

According to my smart phone Air Venture app, they are in booths 631, 632, and 633.
Viking is in booth 255 in case you were interested.

I have decided to build the -12. I will be at Oshkosh for the first time to meet
other builders and hopefully see how it fits. Having never seen one in person.
How do I find the display area if there is one?
Jerry Martin

Vans usually has a couple on display at their tent, and I am sure there will be dozens of them in the RV parking area this year. They are a great LSA aircraft, and fun to build.

Picture

Can someone post a groups shot of the 12's this year. Sounds like it is a pretty good size group these days!

Not this year

Sorry, I won't be able to attend the RV-12 group meeting at Oshkosh this year ... maybe next year. I hope all those attending have a safe and memorable trip.

Deferring OSH cost 1

I'm bringing a few things to OSH to sell to defer some travel cost. Check them out you may want to stop by my plane and buy some thing.:p
First these are called Air Chocks, they weigh 1.7oz and are made out of dense Foam. The theme is to keep everything light for our LSA. Show special $15.00
IMAG0189.jpg

IMAG0191.jpg

IMAG0193.jpg

Who needs a parking brake!

No mail orders till after OSH then Ill post on the classified.

Last edited:
Deferring OSH cost 2

Here is another item. We will have two for sale and will take orders at OSH for more to mail after OSH is over.
They are made of Tyvek. 99% UV block and come in a small Tyvek bag. They are proto types so the price is reduced. one for $150 and another for $200.00 weight 1LB 11OZ.:eek:

IMAG0196.jpg

Last edited:
Deferring OSH cost 2, I saved the best for last.

Yahoo! Transition Fairing for the RV12.;) Will have maybe 4 complete sets at OSH. Made of ABS plastic and will be installed on my plane for the trip and display. Price to be announced at OSH.
IMAG0187.jpg

IMAG01851.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

So how do they look? No data on flight performance at this time!:rolleyes:

Yahoo! Transition Fairing for the RV12.;) Will have maybe 4 complete sets at OSH. Made of ABS plastic and will be installed on my plane for the trip and display. Price to be announced at OSH.

Very pretty. I've just joined the customer queue.

Now you are hurting me!

IMAG0187.jpg

IMAG01851.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

Beautiful

A 'must have'. I'll bet that you will sell a set to almost everyone who puts wheel pants on their RV-12. I'll buy a set - thanks.

Last edited:
Were off to Osh

Departed Dto at 6amet, headed to kllu where we think there maybe mogas. Current gs 140kts.:rolleyes:

Trip update

Just landed in lee summit mo. FLT time from kdto to Klxt 3.1hrs, fuel burn 16.2 gal(you do the math). They have mogas 91 octain, sweet:eek:. Next stop c66, where there is more mogas. Back up in a few hours. Oh yeah it's rainning in lee summit:D

Trip update number 2

Just landed in C47, Portage WI, engine start to engine shut down, 3hrs, burned 15.6 gals. 353nm 118 average gs. Of course they have mogas here in Portage, but it's 87 octain, so we mix 2/1 with 100ll to get 91 octain.;) Only 47 mile to OSH. This iPad is really cool. Dodged lost of rain shows on the way
Up. Having weather on the 496 is really cool:eek:. More later from the dorms at OSH and some pics to.

Landed OSH

Landed OSH at 230pmct. Total FLT time from kdto to kosh, 6.5 hrs, total fuel burned, 35gals, average gs 120 kts. Which was the same as last year. There was a lot of clouds shading us from the hot summer sun on the way up.:) Saw one other RV12 so far but have not cover the in tire area yet. The blue demonstrator for Vans is here with Mich Lock, standard radios installed. Will keep an eye out for other rv12s tomorrow.

I am really looking forward to seeing the new 12s in the fleet tomorrow. I also want to check out Katie's Jabaru FWF.

Osh trip up Pics

I'm taking over for Colin, actually I was using Colin's Ipad and his sign in to Blog our progress today.:rolleyes:It was better than flying on a Airline, with the Ipad down low (the highest we flew was 3000'msl all day long)we had a 3g connection about 70% of the time, as well as texting on the HTC EVO:p The Ipad kept me very entertained.
Passing around Rain showers:
imagejpeg_2_14.jpg

2011-07-24114123.jpg

Last stop in Portage:
IMAG0203.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg

On the ground at OSH, row 316 at the very north end next to the taxi way:
IMAG0206.jpg

The first of many RV12 I found today. Hopefully Ill find more tomorrow.
IMAG0207.jpg

Im going to the Rotax form tomorrow with Phil Lockwood at 10am, have lots of questions to ask about the new Fuel pump.
Oh and last but not least everybody knows this guy:
IMAG0208.jpg

Wondering why Van's didn't bring out the new Skyview equipped -12? I am flying into OSH this Thursday and was really hoping to see the new setup. I do really like Mitch's plane but I was hoping he would have the new setup too. Any words from their booth why they didn't have it at the show?

There's a panel in the tent with the Skyview installed. Standard configuration is a single 10" Skyview. Double Skyview offered as an option.

We are having some technical issues getting photos into the iPad. We will try to get some stuff loaded today.

Day 1

The weather here is great, clear skys and light winds and plenty of sun shine. One thing that is great about OSH is the forms. After working with sheet metal on the RV12 we tried our hand at fabric.

IMAG0212.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

All Done, nothing to it.;)

2011-07-25111419.jpg

Heres an alternate engine for the engine wars form. Dont Ask, I dont know. I do know weight 100lbs, 180hp:eek:

IMAG0217.jpg

Here is a pic of the TeenFlight RV12, good shot of the back of Scott's head

IMAG0214.jpg

This shot just shows you how much brighter skyview is compared to D180

IMAG0216.jpg

When at OSH it is important to have shade so you grab and afternoon Nap. Academy Sports $16.00 with some modifications

IMAG0218.jpg

Thats it for now will have more later headed to 10am Rotax form with Phill Lockwood.

Sales update!

Oh I for got, so far we have sold 1 canopy cover, 2 wheel fairings sets, 1 Air Chock. We will be by airplane for about an hour around1130am to day if some one wants to shop. Row 316 in Home built Parking North end of row by taxi way.

Nice picture

John, Doug Reeves has a picture of you landing at Osh, picture is on VAF homepage in picture links Sunday July 24, Don Lewis

I heard earlier today that 331RV is leaving Oregon today and should be seeing you guys in a few days! Fresh from damage repair and with the new 3 blade prop, we did a test-flight yesterday and left today.

Got it!

We will keep an eye out for them. There should be plenty of god parking by then.:D

Osh day 2

The first thing we did was go to the Rotax form with Phil Lockwood. Which I highly recommend for all new RV12 owners with Rotax engines. One thing I learned that I didn't know after 150hrs behind the Rotax is that for the choke to work correctly you have to have the throttle all the way out to Idle. Its not like on the Lycoming and Continental engines where you have to have the throttle cracked for start. If you cracked the throttle the Choke wont work if you have the linkage set correctly.

IMAG0221.jpg

Next we headed back to the plane to try out Rob and Haruko's rudder peddle extensions. We will start another thread on these extensions later. But they worked perfectly. These extensions will make the RV12 work for all size pilots.

IMAG0224.jpg

Next we found the Viking tent and checked out Jan's engine. No pics because it has already been shown on another thread. The North 40 camping area is really getting full. I believe it is 98% full at this time according to EAA tweet. Weather was great again today.

IMAG0220.jpg

When ever at OSH it always good to try different restaurants for Dinner. Its part of the Adventure.;) Fratellos on the river is one of the best.

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0235.jpg

IMAG0237.jpg

Robs wife is from Japan, you will see her later on the all one size pilot fits all RV12 thread still to come. She did a little origami boots for our waitress before we left the restaurant.

IMAG0236.jpg

Osh day 2 to!

You can only load 10 pics so here is the rest for today.

Last year over in Taylor hall we saw this guy flying RC ultra lite in the lobby and yes he was here in again this year and had a freind with him. They were flying formation together in the lobby this year.

IMAG0240.jpg

IMAG0243-1.jpg

IMAG0242.jpg

This last picture is our landing on Sunday afternoon courtesy of the Vans airforce web Master Doug Reeves.:p

IMG_0029.jpg

Last edited:
Clouds & Rain at OSH.

The rain has come to osh in a big way today. Lots of ponchos & umbrellas. Probably will last all day. So it's back to the forms for another Rotax class and indoor stuff.:p

Osh day 3

Not a whole lot of action today. It rained up until about 1pm. Which wasn't a whole lot of fun walking around in light to moderate rain fall. After 1pm it stopped raining and the day went much better. Took in another form on the Rotax engine presented by Brian from LEAF. Pretty much the same stuff as Phill Lockwood said. There was one difference, Lockwood says TCP is ok to use when running 100LL and Brian said Declan is Ok to use with 100LL. :confused: You will have to decide on your own what works best for you in this case. Brian talked about the new fuel pump and I got to see and hold one up close. Linda at LEAF said they have received 25 new pumps and have sold 23 of them so far. The new pumps that LEAF received did not have the Fire Hose on them and one would have to use their old hoses if you had to replace one now. It maybe up to 2 months before new engines arrive in the USA with the new pumps mounted on them.
We met Joe Gores today who is on the form, he is the electricity expert on the RV12. He flew over in his 12 and showed me a few mods he has made.

Joes Plane
IMAG0246.jpg

Joes Mod
IMAG0249.jpg

Joe will have to chime in when he gets back from OSH on the info about the mod, but essentially he changed the Fuel tank to a different configuration but it still carries 20 gals of fuel. Looks pretty cool.

(disclaimer: I am not indorsing this product)
This next pic is of a cool tool that might come in handy. It makes hose clamps out of safety wire for info see www.clamptitetools.com

IMAG0250-1.jpg

Thats it for tonite better weather expected tomorrow.:)

Oh I for got, so far we have sold 1 canopy cover, 2 wheel fairings sets, 1 Air Chock. We will be by airplane for about an hour around1130am to day if some one wants to shop. Row 316 in Home built Parking North end of row by taxi way.

To any of the RV-12 builders out there that have installed wheel pants, you need to buy these fairings. They are really looking good on the plane and in the set I bought. Good quality, paintable, trimable, & flexable. They will be easy to install, paint, and really give that finish look to the -12.

Great job guys! It was a pleasure renewing the friendship again. Sorry I missed you at beer call!:eek:

But real glad I got out of there at 1:00. rain for 200 miles going west.

Last edited:
Canopy cover

To any of the RV-12 builders out there that have installed wheel pants, you need to buy these fairings. They are really looking good on the plane and in the set I bought. Good quality, paintable, trimable, & flexable. They will be easy to install, paint, and really give that finish look to the -12.

Great job guys! It was a pleasure renewing the friendship again. Sorry I missed you at beer call!:eek:

But real glad I got out of there at 1:00. rain for 200 miles going west.

The uniqueness of our cover is it protects against rain and salt spray by holding out water better than cotton, polyester, or cotton/polyester blend covers. But our cover is breathable, so it allows trapped moisture to escape, helping to prevent rot and mildew. Our cover is great to use on your aircraft as it is vapor permeable and highly water resistant.

Our cover is made from abi-laminate nonwoven fabric. The fabric is engineered to provide high strength for the rigors of covering exposed aircraft while providing excellent protection from the elements. Our cover material is highly water resistant and will not absorb and hold water when wet like fabrics made from natural fibers. Water can readily evaporate through our cover to reduce the potential for mold and mildew growth within. This material is washable.

Our canopy cover has an excellent strength-to-weight ratio and is a lighter alternative to most covers, our cover weighs in at about one pound twelve ounces or .8 kilograms with cover case. The barrier properties of our cover material block harmful UV rays and provide protection from a variety of chemicals and environmental contaminates.

Our cover material effectively blocks 99.8% of the sun's damaging UV rays that can fade interior and exterior surfaces of your aircraft.
Keep your aircraft cooler during warm weather by reflection sunlight.
Provide superior water resistance, while allowing moisture to escape.
Resist acid rain, bird droppings, tree sap and other forms of environmental pollution to keep your aircraft clean
Hold out more than 98% of dirt and dust particles that can scratch and damage your aircraft surface.

Osh day 4

Today was a great day at OSH. It was cloudy all day which kept the temp down. Just a few sprinkles of rain, mostly calm winds. One thing we did was look at other Rotax installation in other S-LSAs. We saw some interesting stuff. On a previous thread I talked about the new fuel pump released by Rotax. Here is a cool way to connect the old fire sleeve and fuel hose off your old pump after you cut away the old band clamp and factory clamp on the fuel hose underneath the fire hose. Thats heat shrink tubing over the fire hose then over the fuel hose with a simple hose clamp. What do you guys think?

IMAG0268.jpg

Here is something we learned about a clean way to install SCATT tubing. We are always removing and installing our scat tubing when doing oil changes. It easily becomes frayed or the wire inside pokes a hole in it.These pics are taken of the installation of the PT-6 turbo Prop in the Cessna Caravan. The outer string is pulled back from the part of the hose that goes over the flange and tucked in to the clamp to keep it from unraveling more off of the hose. Next the inner wire is also pulled back from the hose that goes over the flange and is pulled out and bent over in a loop to again keeping it from poking a hole in the tubing. Pretty cool Huh!:D
Remember I'm easily aroused.:eek:

IMAG0252.jpg

IMAG0251.jpg

Here is a cool idea, make the Brake fluid reservoir out of a clear plastic bottle like we use for our engine coolant so it can be visibly checked instead of having to take the cap off and put a dip stick in.;)

IMAG0253.jpg

I'm not sure how well this would work on our oil temps but it looks promising. Its a heat exchanger, which uses water coolant from the engine to cool the oil. The only down side would be if you leaked out your coolant then your oil would get hot also, but I think you would have enough time to make a quick landing .Here is the web link for a pdf file that i found on the wed, http://208.109.215.220/files/laminova.pdf
Here is a pic of on installed on a rotax 912.

IMAG0267.jpg

Continued on next post.

Osh day 4 continued

We headed down to the ultra light area and checked out some copters and gyros. There were 8 in the air at one time, lots of action. :cool:

IMAG0262.jpg

IMAG0261.jpg

Check out his fueling system.
IMAG0263.jpg

More shots.
IMAG0259.jpg

IMAG0258.jpg

This is how you get around at OSH cause its a really big place.
IMAG0266.jpg

IMAG0265.jpg

No just kidding here is the real deal.
IMAG0264.jpg

Thats it for now I tired and want to sleeppppp...........:p

Pink 12

I ran into this -12 on the flight line near the Airventure sign after John Bender told us about it. A VERY nice senior lady flew it up from FL all by herself. She is quite a pilot and has been for decades. "Everything I own is pink." She said. What a delightful aviator to talk to.

Pink_12__Medium_.jpg

It looks really good in person. Not my cup-o-tea, but it is VERY well done.

Last edited:
My Daughter says it's beautiful. It's for her and she wants it. :D I told when she builds her own airplane she can paint it how ever she wants....

My Daughter says it's beautiful. It's for her and she wants it. :D I told when she builds her own airplane she can paint it how ever she wants....

All of the flowers are hand painted, and extend on both wings also. Impressive.

Bet you guys didn't know I was a pink and lavender kinda guy. ;)

Osh day 5

The sun came out in a big way today. It was even a little hot but nothing compared to Texas standards.:rolleyes: The 787 dream liner showed up and it was very impressive.

IMAG0284.jpg

IMAG0281.jpg

Here is a cool tool from Cleveland tools. Runs on two AAA batteries.

IMAG0274.jpg

Off course the Farmer Zeppelin was always around.

IMAG0278.jpg

Here are a few more shots of the new fuel pump.

IMAG0279.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

This was transition day. Alot of RVs took advantage of the good weather to head home and the weekend crowd came in to close out the show. Wimpy Larry G bugged out Wednesday cause of the possible TRWs that were in the forecast but he felt bad and came back today. Tomorrow night is the big night air show, one of the coolest things at OSH so I probably wont post until Sunday. We are leaving Sunday morning and will post en route on the Ipad as we did on the way up.:D

Back