What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9A QB Instrument panel with DYNON 10"

ron sterba

Well Known Member
I just started my panel with the Ribs F7108 A. I was just told that I may have to cut the ribs to the firewll for the Dynon Skyview 10" and redesign that portion. Has anybody done that or willl the Dynon fit with the VANS factory drawing board design. If you have pictures that would be GREAT!
Thanks RON.

Hmm - interested to see the replies here, since I'll probably be cutting those same ribs TOMORROW.

I am just doing some trial fitting of my panel with a dual Dynon 10" display and the ribs are not in the way. I will have to trim one rib in the radio stack area, as well as make a cutout for the radios in the subpanel, but the Dynon's are fine. Unless you mounted the Dynon's high up on the panel, I don't see how you would have a problem.

9A Panel

Thanks Pete, I can't wait! I thought I could delete the post before anybody saw my bif-up but it didn't work. I mis-read the part number and my reply wasn't for this thread.

Following on from this, what are the chances of fitting two 10" screens outboard of a 7" screen in the centre of the panel with a '430 below?

Panel Pics

Sure Ron, but they're for a tip-up. That's why I deleted the post. I couldn't figure out a way to mount the 10" displays without removing and relocating the ribs. The canopy jetison stuff had to go too! ;)

145%20-%203-8-2010%205.59.24%20PM.JPG

124%20-%201-20-2010%206.15.34%20PM.JPG
IMG_5116.JPG

Very nice looking panel Russ.

Very clean lines and symmetry. The VP-50 relieves the need for switches which can be a challenge in designing a layout. What are the switches you've used under the left hand EFIS?

Great looking panel! I agree - balanced, clean, and functional.

Although there is not much there in terms of number of things, I know that from my many hours of using panel planner software that there was probably a whole bunch of thought that went into it.

Looking forward to your impressions of flying behind it.

This is an example of a slider, but we've done some tippers as well...I just don't have a picture handy. Anyway, it's an example of what can be done within the bounds of an RV-7/9 panel with Skyview's.

FgQhpJNAHjSJCfKDsjZj_dnR9f3NpUV07LJwlSR0SLQ

Cheers,
Stein

Switches

Very clean lines and symmetry. The VP-50 relieves the need for switches which can be a challenge in designing a layout. What are the switches you've used under the left hand EFIS?

From right to left: Flaps (larger, nearest the throttle), Boost Pump (w/LED so I don't forget it), and (2) for canopy latch. The red button is an interlock to activate the canopy latch switch. There's one other switch over by the key for G3 ignition.

I think I remember reading Stein's recommendation to place the EFIS(s) as high as possible.. did that. As I get older, screen size does matter :eek: so I had to have the 10". I wanted redundancy.. symmetry reinforces that. I wanted fewer things on the panel and the VP really helped. I can't wait to see if I can actually fly behind it!

Hi Russ, I don't know if it's my computer but....

Sure Ron, but they're for a tip-up. That's why I deleted the post. I couldn't figure out a way to mount the 10" displays without removing and relocating the ribs. The canopy jetison stuff had to go too! ;)

IMG_5116.JPG

All I see is Xs in place of your pic. I would really like to see your panel. I too have thought about placing two 10" Dynons. Can I get some pics sent to me.

Best.

E.

Nothing wrong with your computer...

it looks like something happened with my pics. Here are the missing ones.

003.JPG

Awsome Russ...

IMG_5116.JPG

Mine is a TI too. Can you tell a little more specifically what you had to move and omit for this to fit. Further, would you have had to eliminate the jetison stuff if you didn't need as much hardware between the Dynons?

Best,

E.

Thanks..

Thanks Brian, I've been watching you guys blaze the way.

Evans, I'm sure you could make room for the canopy jetison handle and mechanism. Especially, if you went with the Dynon transponder and a different radio/electrical system. I wanted the Vertical Power now and room to swap out the SL-60 for a GNS-430W some day.

Removing the canopy without the standard jetison stuff will be kind of a pain, but no more so than doing anything else up there. I kept the area forward of the sub-panel clean enough I can get to the hinge bolts. I hope not to have the canopy off enough to regret the decision though.

I drew a straight line across the ribs and cut them off even with the sub-panel. If you look closely, you'll see a red shim at the bottom of the stubby rib. I confess I didn't take into account that the sub-panel "bends" at the bottom when I did that :eek: . I moved each rib inboard and to the opposite side of the radio stack to allow room for the nuts attaching the radio frames. That way I could minimize the space between the radios and the Skyviews.

Scrap angle was riveted to the cut end of the rib for attaching to the sub-panel. Plate nuts in the sub-panel and in the riblets makes them removable. The flange of the radio stack is sandwiched between the panel and riblets. I can remove the panel by taking out 10 screws; the radio stack stays in place. Another six screws and the radio stack can be removed as a unit.

Not sure if any of that makes sense. If not, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can 'splain it better.

Thanks Russ...

I will study your response against your pics. I am very happy to be able to see a twin screen system up and functional prior to me giving it a go. Looks like it will definitely a go with some modifications.

Much appreciated and hope to catch up to you soon.

Best,

E.

Another data point....

I will study your response against your pics. I am very happy to be able to see a twin screen system up and functional prior to me giving it a go. Looks like it will definitely a go with some modifications.

Much appreciated and hope to catch up to you soon.

Best,

E.

Russ and I work together on ideas all the time, but I went a different route than he did (after hearing him compain about the ribs being in the way sometimes). Since 3 of my radio trays penetrate the subpanel, I just used the trays for support by screwing angle to the rear sides of the stack and screwed them to the sub panel. The cut off ribs are now in my scrap
pile. I might have even saved an ounce or two.:) I can post pictures if your interested.

Back