What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moeller Fuel Gauge

sportkid

Ordered the gauge. Have to pull the fuel tank to repair a tiny fuel leak at one of the screws on the sight window.
Did not build the tank. My question is - what is the position to mount the Moeller gauge so it doesn't interfere with the inner workings of the tank.
Any help here appreciated!

Dick

I mounted mine a bit aft of the internal baffle that runs left to right on the bottom of the tank. Has to be near enough to the left/right centerline because the float arm will swing left/right as opposed to fore/aft. I have about 1/2" to 1" of clearance to the side of the tank when the float arm is horizontal.

With the float arm swinging left/right, the gauge face is positioned so it can be read from the pilots position. I can also see it during fueling. When it reads FULL, there is ~17 gallons in the tank.

Another fellow builder placed his just to the side of the filler neck on the flat. I don't know if you can see his as easily during fueling.

BTW, did your tank leak with the new sightglass material? Sightglass problem or screw problem?

Last edited:
Thanks Marty
Have not replaced the sight window. Will do it now of course.
I waited ... I think like others that the old one was working
fine. You know - "If It Broke .. Don't Fix It."
Well - now I gotta fix it!

Dick

Hey John! Time to rise & shine man!

John Bender has the measurements. I e-mailed him so when he wakes up he'll let you know.

YYYAAAAAWWWWWNNNNN

OK OK I'm awake !
RV-12FuelTank-MoellerMarineGauge001.jpg

RV-12MarineGaugeinstalled100_1215.jpg

John Bender
Iowa

Newbie question

This looks like a great solution but I am assuming that if you are building ELSA that this would only be acceptable after inspection....

Yes ... true.
Mel certified my twelve in June and has been a huge help since then.
I'll put up a thread of our latest adventure. Has to do with making
the appointment and subsequent conversation concerning finalizing the
paperwork for Repairman LSA with the Dallas FISDO.

Dick
RV12 N912RJ

Adventures with the FAA

Dick, I went yesterday to the FSDO at Alliance Airport and got my repairman license. I can give you the card of the guy I used if you haven't got your problem solved.

John
RV12 N1212K

Repairman and the FSDO

OK..I'll put it here.
Called the Dallas FSDO to make appointment for Repairman Card. After making the appointment I asked to talk to an agent to get info on what specifically to bring besides my Repairman Certificate.
Was told to bring all logbooks, (including builders log), pictures of the build, certificate, drivers license, etc.
I had a sinking feeling that all was not kosher. But who argues with these guys.
So I called Mel. He laughed and then told me, using the specific FAR, what I would need for the appointment. Then he noted he would fire off an email and instructions to the FSDO of the requirements.
When I arrived for the appointment and sat down at the agents desk we proceeded to fill out an application. As this proceeded I could see the agent refer to a lengthy page of information heavily yellow highlighted. I know this must have been Mel's email.
All I had to show was my certificate and drivers license. Got my card.
Thanks Mel, and a big thanks to John W. the FAA agent who helped me get my card.
Whew..

Well, completed the #5 flight and the next day noticed a gasoline smell in the cockpit. Found fuel on the hangar floor and the bottom of the plane. Where can I get a Moeller gauge. Hope Van's is reading these threads, this is absurd! They need to reduce the fuel capacity by 1 gallon and provide a welded tank.

Pulled the Tank

Sorry for the delay guys spent the afternoon pulling the tank. There are two leaks. The main leak is on the right aft corner and the small one is a stain on a rivet on the middle of the aft seam. What really concerns me is that the auto pilot servo is located in a close proximity of the tank. Is it explosion/vapor proof.:eek: Also noticed that several truss screws from the tunnel cover have rubbed a small divot in the bottom panel.
Anyway scratching my head as to what to do next.:confused:

I did a hydro static test of 12"- H20 for 24 hours before installing the tank and all held. Leaks occurred over night.

Back