What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 49-14 paint inside cooling duct

redmark

Do I need to paint the inside of the cooling duct before I attach it to the cowl? Or can it be painted when the planes at the paint shop?

Thanks,
-Ron

My opinion

Nearly impossible to paint all of the inside of the air duct. You can get only so far from the opening.

John Bender

Do I need to paint the inside of the cooling duct before I attach it to the cowl? Or can it be painted when the planes at the paint shop?

Thanks,
-Ron

I didn't try to paint mine before installing because I know nothing about making paint stick to fiberglass or even what color I would finally decide on. I am hoping my painter will be able to get in there with a detail gun and get it painted. He's a pro, so I expect no less.

Tony

Well I decided to give painting it a try? I sanded it lightly then painted it with a black low gloss high temp enamel from the auto part store. Today I'll sand it again then apply a coat of west systems epoxy resin thinned with denatured alcohol... maybe that will keep it paint protected, if the alcohol does not remove it first.

I also have some black pigment left over from the canopy work so I may add a little of it to the resin.

-Ron

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/7QtnOLyVfHEW_b4c_o0Ymg?feat=directlink

Last edited:
Back