What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Software used for Electrical Plans

129TG

What software did you use when you were trying to design/draw your Electrical plan for your project? Were the needed symbol libraries within the software ? I have been laboring over my schematics by hand drawing and now would like to have it on the computer.

A search for software electrical design will yield you many threads on the discussion.
Best,

I used ExpressSCH for my wiring diagrams and it is a very good program, especially considering the cost (free). If you get people to send you their schematics you can pull off a lot of useful symbols or even have a good starting point. I'm on the road right now and do not have access to my schematics but if you get the package and want mine email me. I'll send them this weekend.

I used Microsft Visio, pretty much had all the symbols and very easy to make (or fake) the ones it didn't have

I use DesignWorks Lite4 for my EE coursework. I haven't found anything that is exactly what I'd like, but the libraries are easy to edit and you can make a custom library very quickly - once you learn how to use it. Like anything else, it does have a learning curve. I did not do the schematics for my RV.

AutoCAD 2000

Thom,
A friend gave me a copy of AutoCAD 2000. I had no experience with CAD software. It was slow and painful at first, as I taught myself. A bit of help from someone who knows the software is a great help. Bob Nuckolls has a very large symbol library and all of his various electrical architectures are available for free, online below.
See the 7th through 23rd links at the page below

http://www.aviator.cc/bonanza/mx/avionics/www.aeroelectric.com/articles.html

ALL of the links on the page above will be useful to the amateur aircraft builder. Purchase Bob's book THE AEROELECTRIC CONNECTION. It's a great place to start your electrical education.

You can find an explanation of his thoughts on these various architectures below

http://www.aviator.cc/bonanza/mx/avionics/www.aeroelectric.com/articles/Rev10/z10.pdf

Having Bob's work as a starting point is a HUGE help. His drawings can be used by other CAD programs, like the previously mentioned TurboCAD. I have used many of his CAD drawings and modified or expanded them as needed for my project.

You can also explain what components you plan to use. Often, other listers will give you their work, to use as a starting point. I've borrowed, loaned and swapped CAD drawings with several other listers.

The are a number of sites where you can download older versions of popular CAD software cheaply or for free. EBay is also a good place to look.

Charlie Kuss

There is a company that has free software called PCB123. Their software is simple and easy to use for the novice. As a bonus, you can transfer a schematic into their board layout software, create a nice circuit board and it will instantly quote you a price. You can order fabbed boards right from the software. I have used their service and have been very happy with the product and very fast turnaround times.

Here is a link:

http://www.sunstone.com/

Back