View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 03:46 PM

Default Beringer brake system

This one is for anyone installing the Beringer brake system.
The brake lines are braided. Fittings are straight 45 degree flare and banjo style. Banjo fittings have a slight angle which comes in handy.the system comes with Master cylinders, ALIR (anti-lock) valve and parking garage brake. I won't get into how or where things should be mounted. Beringer does not provide a parking brake mount. The reservoirs have a small flange for mounting. This is intended as tips for the install.
The ALIR is quite long and if mounted with the included mount, is very close to the firewall recess. Check before installing it. I chose to leave it out and save two lines, some complexity and extra weight. 12 ounces.
The master cylinders are adjustable. Install the extenders then screw the rod ends all the way in. I used five turns out on either end. There's plenty left to adjust the pedal location. Final hole in the brake pedals was 3/4" from the bottom. I drilled one with a pilot hole then used it to match drill the others, then enlarged to final dimension. The springs get close so use two washers in between pedal and rod bearing. It's shown on the RV10 install.
Here's a tip on making the lines.
Wrap the line with a piece of Gorilla tape. It helps control the fraying. Cut the end clean with a pair of heavy pliers like Kleins. Remove the tape. Carefully slip the threaded ferrule over the line. Use a small screwdriver to spread the braid open in a cone shape about 1/4" back. Don't unbraid it. Just open it enough to get the "olive" on the tube. Place the olive on the inner tube and press against a hard surface till it bottoms. Use a tiny probe to feel the inner tube. It should be up against the top of the olive. Use the cutters to snip the excess braid back maybe 1/32" or so. It helps later. Slide the ferrule up. Lube the threads of the banjo. Insert and screw it in hand tight. Clamp it between wood blocks in a vice and use tubing wrench to tighten couple turns. Finish off with the torque wrench. Note the tubing rotates. This is a big deal.
To complete the line, install the partial line. The angle is important and the tubing rotates so think this through. Place the other banjo in the fitting where the opposite end will be installed and get a good measurement for the line. Wrap a piece of tape, mark the cut line and the direction of the banjo angle . Remove the line. Cut the line.
Repeat the steps to install the second fitting but don't torque it. You only get one shot at it.
Install the line and triple check the fittings are oriented correct. Mark the first end so you can't accidently torque it again and mess up the orientation. Mark the second end carefully. Move to the vice and torque while watching the mark. Stop short and reinstall it. Back to the vice for final torque and a little prayer it ends up perfect. Repeat another six or eight times for the other lines.
I chose to go with one piece lines from the parking brake to the calipers so I snaked the line in and cut it a foot or two long then reinstalled it. The last two fittings at the caliper end will have to be done on the plane. Best of luck.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.