What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 5 year Pirep

drill_and_buck

Well Known Member
Patron
EmPcWH.jpg

5 years ago today N468RV had its first flight. When I was building the 8 it would have been impossible for me to predict the experience, fun, challenges and rewards this plane has delivered. The lessons learned, the skills developed, the places visited and the friendships that have been forged were never on the radar screen during the build.

For those who are building I thought I would pass along a few data points on how the plane has performed during the past 5 years along with some of my impressions.
N468RV
First flight: 11/13/2011
Flying for 5 years
Build time: 7.5 years
Kit type: RV-8 quickbuild
Engine: Zero time TMX-0360 (Mattituck Lycoming Clone) with Dual Pmags
Prop: Hartzell HC-C2YR 74 inch blended airfoil propeller

Custom Mods: Several custom mods including Todds tinted canopy, Grove airfoil gear legs, hidden hinges on oil and baggage doors, removable floor panels, DOT 3/4 brake fluid, aux power plug (piper style) on belly of plane, Vetterman exhaust with dual mufflers, dual heater valves, heated seats, O2 D size tank in front baggage compartment, Anti-splat Aero cowl flap, Anti-splat Aero oil/air separator, lightweight replacement tailwheel, delux stainless steel tailwheel springs,??.

How the plane has performed & notable maintenance issues first 5 years.
? Like most folks I chased high CHTs and oil temps during my flight test period. These were all successfully addressed by sealing all air gaps and installing an upgraded oil cooler. Prior to going to KOSH for the first time I installed and anti-splat cowl flap which helps when slow flying the approach to Wittman field.
? Before I even started my engine for the first time an AD was issued (welcome to airplane ownership) calling for cylinder replacement before 350 hours. I had new cylinders and pistons installed at the 115 hour mark
? One EGT probe replaced, year 2
? One fuel pressure sensor replaced, year 3
? Fuel tank leak (on a quickbuild). Removed left tank, cut access hole in rear baffle, fixed fuel tank leak, year 2
? Stator wire on PlanePower alternator broke at 280 hours. PlanePower replaced alternator under warranty, year 3
? Replaced battery contactor main power toggle switch, year 4
? RPMs were wandering, sent governor to MT for overhaul. Since this was one of the early governors with known issues they provided me with a reasonable discount, year 3
? New PC680 battery, year 4
? Two sets of tires
? One set of brake pads
? Replaced all oil return lines, threw away the band clamps and used compression spring clamps, year 3
? Carb heat cable broke, replaced with new, year 4
? Replaced brake puck O-rings, year 4
? Replaced 0-rings in parking brake (that I never use) year 2
? Skin crack on exhaust ramp area and one on the belly skin forward of the spar, year 2
? Oil change and filter every 50 hours
? New spark plugs at every annual (auto plugs)
? New K&N air filter, year 4

Today when I rolled N468RV out of the hangar and glanced at the Hobbs it read 567.8. I couldn?t help but reflect on how lucky I am to be able to strap on an RV-8, point it to destinations unknown and join up with my wingmen. The RV series is a very honest plane. If you listen, it will teach you a lot.
It took me about 200 hours before I felt I owned the plane. By that I mean intuitively knowing the performance of the airframe and engine and all systems (EFIS, EMS, AP, ?.) and being able to fly the plane well across its performance envelop. At the end of the 40 hour test period you can feel more confident on the reliability of the systems, however, at 40 hours, the learning has only just begun.

I am a much better pilot today than I was when started flight testing 5 years ago. I know the plane well and understand it?s performance. With that said, today I fly with a lot more humility than I did 5 years ago. The RV will do that to you.

Fly safe,
Mike

Mikey, let me be the first to say congrats on the five year mark!

You made a fine ship and it always gets the accolades that it (and you) deserve!

I am proud to fly along your side!

:) CJ

I bumped into Massachussetts Gang yesterday on my way to West Virginia. Mike let me tell you keep your bird in great shape. Was nice seeing you! Alton Bay next? :D

Mifflin%20-%201.jpg

Thanks John!

I feel fortunate our paths crossed and that we own that little piece of RV heaven in the NE corner of PYM.

One of the benefits of building and flying RVs is meeting like minded people. As so many have mentioned in the past, the social benefits of flying RVs are tremendous. I think I knew CJ all of a year after moving my plane to PYM. I was renting a hangar with a leaky roof when I learned that a new 3 condo hangar building was in the planning phase. As much as I tried I couldn't get my landlord to fix my leaky roof or sell me the hangar. So I walked over to the hangar where CJ was building his 7 and asked him if he would be interested in going in on buying a new hangar. I think CJ thought about it for all of 2 minutes before he said he thought that would be a good idea.

It has worked out tremendously well.

Ha, thanks Vlad. I love your route to W. Virginia.

Way to warm last year for Alton Bay. Hope to see you there this year or at Rangely with CJ and the gang!

Back