What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB 07-11-09 and Anti-Splat

I just purchased an RV-7A upon which SB 07-11-09 has been accomplished. I live on and do most of my flying from a 2800 ft. grass strip which is in pretty good shape but is not a fairway. Would it still be wise to add the Anti-Splat nose gear mod or does the SB render that mod moot. Anyone else done both?

Thanks.

Welcome to VAF! I did the wheel bearing and tire true-balance mod and made a big difference in ground rolling resistance, I plan on doing the brace later.

Welcome to VAF!

Mike----welcome aboard the good ship VAF.

Always good to see another Mike here;)

I just installed the Nose Job 2 on my -7A, along with the nose wheel mod and skid plate. I have yet to install the vertical stab stiffener but will do so soon (already purchased).

All great upgrades.

Thanks

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. After further review, as they say, I've decided that the $331.00 Nose Job 2 is pretty cheap insurance, especially since the 2 fits under the Vans nose gear fairing. Anyone had any difficulty with the fit under the fairing?

SB v. Anti-splat

The SB shortens the nose gear leg which gives room to raise it's attach point to the new fork a little further above the axel than wi the original. This theoretically reduces the chance of digging into the dirt - which is the inciting event of a flip over where the gear leg folds under after the fork catches in the dirt. But while the SB reduces the likelihood of the event, it does little to Ren force the gear leg should the slightly-higher-than-before lower edge of the nose gear fork do it's regretably possible thing. I therefore favor the anti-splat gear leg reenforcement in addition to the vans SB. Moreover, anti-splat offers a clever skid plate that fits into the underside of the nose gear fork. I have installed all 3 mentioned with plans for the bearing and tire balance work soon.

Should I "just learn how to land the aircraft properly!" ? Of course I should. I'm in phase one now. Perhaps it's all overkill. But I can live with that - hopefully.

good luck

Jeff Hodgson
N377CP, RV7a, KWVI

The SB shortens the nose gear leg which gives room to raise it's attach point to the new fork a little further above the axel than wi the original. This theoretically reduces the chance of digging into the dirt - which is the inciting event of a flip over where the gear leg folds under after the fork catches in the dirt. But while the SB reduces the likelihood of the event, it does little to Ren force the gear leg should the slightly-higher-than-before lower edge of the nose gear fork do it's regretably possible thing. I therefore favor the anti-splat gear leg reenforcement in addition to the vans SB. Moreover, anti-splat offers a clever skid plate that fits into the underside of the nose gear fork. I have installed all 3 mentioned with plans for the bearing and tire balance work soon.

Should I "just learn how to land the aircraft properly!" ? Of course I should. I'm in phase one now. Perhaps it's all overkill. But I can live with that - hopefully.

good luck

Jeff Hodgson
N377CP, RV7a, KWVI

....Most people fly regularly off improved runways, and it's less likely they will encounter a problem where the "Nose Job" would be called upon to save the day. The added security will be appreciated, the day it gets real quiet or extremely loud up-front, and it becomes painfully evident, an off field landing, under the least ideal conditions with very high stress levels is nearing. At this point these things all wind up in the same category as a seat belt and shoulder harness. You hoped you wouldn't need them, but boy are you glad you have them now!.:eek:
....I have been there, and done that a few times over the years. I know the feeling and don't wish that on anyone. Thanks, Allan.:)

Last edited:
....Most people fly regularly off improved runways, and it's less likely they will encounter a problem where the "Nose Job" would be called upon to save the day. The added security will be appreciated, the day it gets real quiet or extremely loud up-front, and it becomes painfully evident, an off field landing, under the least ideal conditions with very high stress levels is nearing. At this point these things all wind up in the same category as a seat belt and shoulder harness. You hoped you wouldn't need them, but boy are you glad you have them now!.:eek:
....I have been there, and done that a few times over the years. I know the feeling and don't wish that on anyone. Thanks, Allan.:)

Allan is right on the money here. 2 days ago my RV-6A had an off-airport emergency landing. I am very confident that the Nose Job kept the blue side up for the pilot and passenger. Thanks, Allan, for a great product. No pre-10 nose dragged should be without it, IMHO.

Notice where the gear leg is bent? Now watch Allen's video if the structural testing and reasoning. It started bending up high, decreasing the force trying to bend it, instead of starting to roll up below, which would increase the force. I only operate off of improved strips, but the guys would have likely been upside down at the very best without the Nose Job.

Last edited:
That's all the proof anyone should need, Jesse. Both the nose gear and the Nose Job took some serious stress and show it. I'd expect both will require replacement and the engine mount a good inspection for cracks.

That's all the proof anyone should need, Jesse. Both the nose gear and the Nose Job took some serious stress and show it. I'd expect both will require replacement and the engine mount a good inspection for cracks.

That airframe won't fly again. It's totaled. It stayed upright, though, thanks to the Nose Job.

Sorry to hear that it's totaled. Were you in it at the time, and what forced the off-airport landing? No problem if you don't want to discuss it, or can't discuss it because of NTSB considerations.

Allan is right on the money here. 2 days ago my RV-6A had an off-airport emergency landing. I am very confident that the Nose Job kept the blue side up for the pilot and passenger. Thanks, Allan, for a great product. No pre-10 nose dragged should be without it, IMHO.

Sorry to hear of your incident but it, and your photo, have served, very effectively, as a cautionary note that the AS Nose Job is of great value to all who are dragging Van's noses, not just we who fly off of unimproved strips. My NJ2 is to arrive Monday.

Thanks.

I think this photo is excellent advertising for ASA and you should get a free replacement for the post... :D I WAS on the fence on getting one of these...On the list of things to install now.

I think this photo is excellent advertising for ASA and you should get a free replacement for the post... :D I WAS on the fence on getting one of these...On the list of things to install now.

I think that's a great idea. Allan?

Looking at that bent brace, I can only imagine the amount of force that was required to bend that steel! Nice engineering there Allen!

Yeah, the 200' of tire marks left on the asphalt then 80' into fairly rough grass would create a lot of force on a weak nose gear. . I don't think they would have made it to the grass before going upside down. As it was, the fence took its toll on the wings, but they climbed out without a scratch.

Looking at that bent brace, I can only imagine the amount of force that was required to bend that steel! Nice engineering there Allen!

Jesse can confirm, but I don't think the Antisplat brace is bent. It's made that way so that the nose wheel strut flexes before contacting the brace.

Erich

Jesse can confirm, but I don't think the Antisplat brace is bent. It's made that way so that the nose wheel strut flexes before contacting the brace.

Erich

This brace is WAS bent from the accident. Check the shape of a new one on Allan's site.

I had the brace on my 7A when I landed and buckled the nose gear. The ant-splat did not save my aircraft. In my case it might have been better not to have it. Every situation is different. So I guess I would say do not land wrong! Do not rely on it saving your beauty. Fly your best and all will be well.

dave

...I think you are correct! We will be happy to supply a replacement "Nose Job" to Jessy if he wishes to resurrect the airplane, or replace it. After all, quality testing like this is expensive and difficult to do.:rolleyes: Thanks, Allan

Back