What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Training

Paul Anderson

I'm New Here
Hi, New to this forum and my first post.

I am buying an RV8 in October 2016 and I was looking to do some type training.

I am based in the UK but I love the USA and did my PPL at Long Beach so really happy to come over to the USA and do some type training.

Does anyone know of anyone in the USA that does tailwheel RV8 training?

Would love to know and get some contact details if so??

Many thanks.

Paul.

RV8 Training

Paul,

There is a gentleman I spoke with in Angleton, TX. that does Transition Training in his RV8. (180 Hp. CS Prop) I had called him for a friend of mine looking for training. I have not flown with him, but he a super nice on the phone.

Give him a call. (281)889-8078

You can't go wrong with Mike Seager in OR. It's not in an RV-8 but you'll do more than fine with his transition training. The issue you will have is that most RV-8's do not have brakes in the rear seat. Don't know any CFI that would flight instruct without full controls.

Straight off the Vans website training link:

Mike has built an RV-4 and an RV-6. He is the acknowledged dean of RV instructors and probably has more RV hours than anyone. Those hours include thousands of dual instruction given in the RV-6/6A, RV-7/7A and RV-9/9A. He is based in Vernonia, Oregon, a 10-minute flight or 40 minute drive from Van's. Mike flies the aircraft to major fly-ins two or three times a year, making stops at designated places along the route for a day or more to provide training.

Instruction from Mike is available in the RV-6A, RV-7, RV-9/9A, RV-10 and RV-12. (RV-4, RV-8/8A and RV-9/9A pilots train in the RV-6A or RV-7). Contact Mike between 6:30 am and 7:30 am Pacific Time.

Phone: 503-429-5103
e-mail: [email protected]

Paul,

There is a gentleman I spoke with in Angleton, TX. that does Transition Training in his RV8. (180 Hp. CS Prop) I had called him for a friend of mine looking for training. I have not flown with him, but he a super nice on the phone.

Give him a call. (281)889-8078

This would be Bruce Bohannon, and he's a top-notch tailwheel instructor and stick-'n-rudder guy. He might smile at being called a gentleman, but there is no doubt he can teach folks to hand fly their airplanes better.

He went to some effort to equip the RV-8 with dual controls (including, I believe, rear brakes) just so that he could better help folks who wanted to do their checkout in a tandem.

Mike Seager is a good friend and great choice, and has checked out thousands of people in RV's, so he knows how to do it for sure! Either is a great choice.

me too!

so, somehow Bruce put dual controls in the TIGER????

I'm IN!

TigerCollection1_zpsxdurwmvc.jpg

I flew with Bruce last year, was his first student. His course is excellent, well planned and covers what you need to know as well as how to do it. Preflight and postflight briefings were thorough and covered all aspects of each flight. Flyin' Tiger Field is great fun to fly in and out of and Bruce is certainly knowledgeable and a lot of fun to fly with. I highly recommend him.
John Rossi
RV-8

Thanks for all the advice an help with this.

I am now in conversation with Bruce Bohannon and he has said no problem to my requests.

So it looks like I am in for a trip to Texas:)

Best wishes

Paul.

Transition with Bruce

I did my transition training with Bruce in February, what a great guy! I flew into Houston (IAH) rented a car and drove down to Angleton and stayed at the Best Western. He has a great little field with a couple of grass strips. You will do your landings at a regional airport a few miles away with a long paved strip. Bruce is very knowledgable and patient and will sit in the back of that thing as long as you want, you can tell he loves doing what he does. Great altitude record stories too!! Have fun....

I just finished a couple of days with Bruce, but I wanted to post here for others who are facing needing RV-8 training in the future. Let's just say flying with Bruce was worth every penny.

I flew into Hobby, took an uber to an offsite rental car place and got a much cheaper car for the 40 minute drive down to Angleton. Spent a few nights at the Best Western and when I wasn't at the BW I was with Bruce either RV-8 flying or hangar flying.

Bruce has an RV-8 w/ IO-360 and constant speed prop that he's modified to have real rear pedals and brakes. This gives him full control of what he needs from the back. His bread and butter is someone who has a little bit of TW time (and an endorsement) but may be a virgin RV-8 (or -4 or -3) pilot and wants to learn to fly the plane with a knowledgeable body on board before going solo.

He also had a cub for basic tailwheel training and a Pitts for acro training if either of those also fits into your plans. I really wanted a bit of time in the Pitts but the field was too wet to fly it unfortunately.

Bruce lives on his dual grass strips and according to him he's "always there". He would love nothing more than to just fly a few folks a month who want to do transition training, and he will work to your schedule and move around any local students if you come in from out of town. He lives right between two small regional airports that provide a great mix of training opportunity with varying wind components. He's trying hard to stay away from turning into a full time transition trainer who is booked many months out. He wants to be flexible and available.

Bruce knows how to train. He's got more hours, stories, experiences, failures, botched operations than anyone I've been around in the aviation world. He's a tell it like it is guy. He's opinionated, but very good at what he does. If you go to soak up knowledge and are ready to be humble when you screw up, Bruce will keep you safe and make you ever so much better. After a few hours he's simply this voice in the back of your head (literally). If you're hardheaded and just want to log some time for insurance purposes, Bruce is probably not a good fit. He's much more concerned with you getting value out of being with him than he is with the money.

The only caveat I'll share is Bruce is a chain smoker and makes no apologies about it. It didn't bug me at all, but if you're sensitive to it he's probably not your guy.

If you're building or buying an -8 and need transition training I can't recommend Bruce enough. His program was vetted and approved by the FAA.
For my training I was faced with the need to travel to one of the various trainers who do the work, but nobody besides Bruce (that i know of) trains in an -8. While insurance accepts a -7, why not get time in the real thing you're going to be flying? The training was eye opening, humbling, but also got me very comfortable with what the plane is capable of and how I can go about exploring my own airplane as soon as it's flying.

Give Bruce a call or email and he'll go out of his way to fit you in around your schedule.

Back