What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Pitot AOA Installation

f14av8r

Well Known Member
There are a lot of discussions on the website relating to the Dynon AOA/Pitot probe. I decided to post my installation experience here, since I installed mine in a RV-4.

During my condition inspection last week, I installed a heated Dynon AOA / Pitot probe, replacing the standard Vans unit. I estimate I spent about 10 hours on the task spread across about five days as I accomplished the rest of the inspection. The hardest part of this project, on a completed airplane, is routing the additional air line for the AOA system and the wiring for the heated probe if you choose to add that capability. I explored a lot of options but, in the end, decided to bite the bullet and remove the left tank to allow access for routing the necessary lines between the tank and the spar. I was terrified of removing the tank but, while it requires some careful work, it is not overly complex. The best tip I got (from a post here) and employed, was to slip thin sheets of plastic (I used for sale signs from the aviation aisle at Home Depot) between the rivet rows on the top and bottom of the rear of the tank after removing the screws. The plastic serves to break the very effective dimple-to-dimple locking that is in place and will allow the tank to come free much more cleanly, and without scratching the underlying surface.

It's always painful disturbing a nice paint job for a project like this. I struggled mightily with the decision to pull the tank. Fortunately, none of the screws were painted over but I was still concerned about pulling up the paint around the heads. I used one of the screw head cutters from ACS to cut around every screw head before I removed them. That approach was hugely successful. My paint job survived the experience quite well. I highly recommend the screw cutter kit. I've used in on a lot of other frequent removal screws on my plane and the technique works well. Here's the ACS link - https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/screwpaintcutterkit.php?clickkey=36690

Routing the new lines was straightforward but not easy. Working in the enclosed wing and finished fuselage makes for some added difficulty but it's perfectly doable. I elected to mount the tube directly outboard of the aileron bell crank access panel. I didn't add any additional support structure and find the installed probe to be very secure.

I mounted the controller for the heated probe on the access panel - that almost seemed a little too obvious and I'm half expecting somebody to tell me why that was a bad idea! It was a very simple solution though and seems to work well. If you choose my approach for controller mounting, just make sure you leave enough of a service loop in the wiring to remove and hang the panel when you need to open it for access. I used the "approved" Vans technique of drilling a small hole in the rib lightning hole to zip tie the wire loop and keep it clear of the bell crank.

I used the Safe Air install kit and the Gretz Mast (both acquired from ACS). That added $200 to the cost of the project but sure made things easier. You could easily assemble the Safe Air parts from standard heavy truck air brake line hardware and lines but, for a little over a hundred dollars, it simply wouldn't be worth the trouble. I only used a small percentage of the provided connectors though so they could reduce the price and parts count if they eliminated the parts they include for splicing off a second set of instruments / ADHRS. The Gretz Mast is a slam-dunk in my mind. The hardware is first rate and the joggled lip worked perfectly on my spar.

Setting up and calibrating the probe was quite simple. Somehow, the Dynon system just knows that you have installed the probe and, once you run the airborne calibration routine and set the audio levels, it works wonderfully.

As a former Navy pilot, I appreciate, perhaps more than most, the added value of an AOA display. It provides an added measure of safety in the landing pattern and, I like it during aerobatics as an "eyes off" indicator of speed at the low speed extremes. I also like the Dynon implementation - no vanes, extra hardware, etc. Really just one extra air line an you're done. For me, it was well worth the money and the effort.

Randy
IMG_0545_zpswvoodedp.jpg

IMG_0549_zpsg29vsgbe.jpg

IMG_0511_zpsxrr5c4y4.jpg

IMG_0503_zpspysiyzkk.jpg
IMG_0519_zpsngkqbysb.jpg

Randy, great write up. Thank you for posting this. I'm getting ready to install this on my -4.

Whit,
Think about the ropes for tie down when you install yours. I just went on my first xcountry and parked outside. It was a PITA trying to figure out how to tie down/park the plane. The old vans tube gives you a lot of more room for the rope to move since it is only a very narrow fuel line. The new one is significantly wider.

Whit,
Think about the ropes for tie down when you install yours. I just went on my first xcountry and parked outside. It was a PITA trying to figure out how to tie down/park the plane. The old vans tube gives you a lot of more room for the rope to move since it is only a very narrow fuel line. The new one is significantly wider.

Thanks Ax. What do you recommend? Would shorter tie down rings solve that problem?

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Stainless-Tie-Down-Ring/productinfo/RVTR4/#.VzEyQijyd6k

Dynon Probe vs Tie Down

Hi Whit,
I think the problem Axel is describing is that the tie-down line between the tie-down point on the ramp and the tie-down point on the wing can, at some angles, come in contact with the probe. Moving the probe further out on the wing allows the tie-down rope to swing through a wider range of angles without risking probe contact. For me though, avoiding that issue wasn't worth the much greater complexity associated with moving the probe past the rib beside the access plate.
Hope that helps,
Randy

What he said. You can also solve the issue by moving the pitot tube inboard of the tie down or more aft on the same location.

I'm at the point of planning this install myself as I'm skinning the bottom of the left wing now. I picked up the SafeAir1 pitot mast and just trying to decide the best way to mount it. I've been reading a lot of discussion about reinforcing the mounting location to not simply rely on the skin, ease of future access and most importantly to me, not interfering with the tie down rope (I'll have to tie it down at Oshkosh at least ;-)

Moving the mast inboard of the inspection panel (approx 8-10" inboard of the standard location) certainly would be easy at this point. It also lines up nicely with an lightening hole in the spar web to easily route the lines. I can position it to catch the rivet line for the inboard/outboard skin joint which is more rigid than the .025" skin alone.

Potential issues I foresee: Depending how much the lines extend from the inside of the mast they could interfere with the aileron bellcrank pushtube. Could the more inboard position possibly affect the accuracy since it's closer to the prop wash? Am I missing anything here? Seems straight forward but has anyone actually installed one here on a -4?

Pitot mast installation by James Soutar, on Flickr

I have relocated the pitot to the inspection panel on both the -8 and my Rocket. In both cases i added a doubler to the panel and it has resulted in a much stiffer mounting location for the mast.

I have relocated the pitot to the inspection panel on both the -8 and my Rocket. In both cases i added a doubler to the panel and it has resulted in a much stiffer mounting location for the mast.

So mounted right on the panel itself? I'm curious on your rocket how close the tubing comes to the aileron bellcrank. I'm definitely leaning towards inboard, there is 3.5" from the inside face of the mast to the bellcrank centerline. I'm guessing the tubes/fittings wouldn't extend that far.

Further Outboard

At your stage of construction, I think you should mount the mast further outboard. This will ensure the probe is in the free air stream and will probably provide more accurate readings than a more inboard location. Read the various postings (with photos) on the site to see easy ways to keep the lines clear of the bell crank. It isn't hard with an open wing like yours.

Assuming you run the tubing and wiring ahead of the spar like this
open
there won't be any interference issues. This is a Gretz mount retrofitted in the same location as your SafeAir. I'd consider tying the mount to the adjacent rib for reinforcement at your stage of construction. If you mount it further outboard, access for future maintenance may be difficult.

Cheers,

Vac

So mounted right on the panel itself? I'm curious on your rocket how close the tubing comes to the aileron bellcrank. I'm definitely leaning towards inboard, there is 3.5" from the inside face of the mast to the bellcrank centerline. I'm guessing the tubes/fittings wouldn't extend that far.

No issues with clearance.

25kh0n4.jpg

Controller inboard, pitot and OAT outboard. All on the panel itself.

Oh, and I shortened the mast. Pitot inlet is 4.25 below the wing. Works great.

Back