What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smartphone to Aera 796

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Question for the Garmin Experts, just updated my 796 to 5.0 and messed with the bluetooth which I do not normally use (796 is hardwired to the 39 etc).

The 796 picked up my iPhone 6 but would not pair and said device connection not supported, it made me wonder if pairing with the iphone/ipad is on the list to eventually be able to upload a flight plan from Garmin Pilot to the 796.

Just thinking out load :)

Question for the Garmin Experts, just updated my 796 to 5.0 and messed with the bluetooth which I do not normally use (796 is hardwired to the 39 etc).

The 796 picked up my iPhone 6 but would not pair and said device connection not supported, it made me wonder if pairing with the iphone/ipad is on the list to eventually be able to upload a flight plan from Garmin Pilot to the 796.

Just thinking out load :)

Hello Dave,

Yes, you probably noticed that V5.00 adds the ability to flight plan on the aera 795/796 and send/receive flight plans to/from a Garmin GNS/GTN navigator through a Flight Stream 210 interface. This is a free new feature that we hope some will find useful.

As you may know, those devices you mention with the fruit on the back will not Bluetooth link to anything that does not incorporate special circuitry and software, and undergo expensive fruit certification which requires testing with a very large group of old and new products. We don't currently have any plans to re-design the aera 795/796 to include this hardware and software and complete this certification.

Seriously, we hope that VFR flight planning on the aera 79X is so efficient that there is never a need to link it to a tablet/phone.

Thanks,
Steve

Back