What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

first flight

DBRuth

Well Known Member
First flight for 412DR ,kit #120797 occurred today at 15:00 Zulu from KGVL (Gainesville, GA). Flew for an hour and completed flight test card #1. The right wing is a little heavy and it needs a little right rudder but she's a joy to fly! It's been almost exactly 6 months since I received the A/C, work has been in the way (check my signature). Thanks to John Albury's tutelage and training I was well prepared and the actual flight was simple. Thanks also to my wife, Susan. She was my ground crew today and throughout the build. She didn't pull a single rivet, but she wrote every check when the time came. No pictures,cause I don't know the process but Jetguy has some and will post. The journey now begins............

Congrat's

Congratulations. You did well completing all of Flight test #1 in 1 hour.

I just completed #1 today, but it took me 2 hours! An hour yesterday and another today.

Some Pictures of Doug First Flight

Check out Doug's cool trailer he built himself.:)
4E57A5FB-7B40-4C62-AE45-220F61935CD1_zpsn9pg7ssu.jpg

AA14523E-5AFA-43B4-9933-C6D8A156ECB6_zpsrs9lfd4p.jpg

Outbound!
0BA9B4F8-6C8F-4839-8DDE-EAB806B7EA8A_zpsckjw4nqj.jpg

The RV Smile!:D
BF5BB7AD-8EB9-48B5-85DC-0516340B0D26_zps7phmihtk.jpg

Congratulations!:eek:

Great! report your first flight to Vans and find out what number flying RV12 you are - and let us know!

Why 412 DR? I'm 412BR because I was kit #412 and Billy Ray (I liked The sound of Bravo Romeo better than Bravo Hotel). Then coincidentally the plane was completed in April 2012, and first flight was on 4-12-12.

Bill, I emailed Van's this morning. I don't expect a reply until Monday afternoon. I will post here whenever I get some information. Still find it hard to believe that I have built and flown my own airplane :). Tomorrow I leave the country for your work and won't see my plane (or my family) for a few weeks :-(

flying RV-12 #

Looks like I'm flying RV-12 #407. Guess I beat Rick A to register my flight with Van's. To all the guys building, the flying part is worth the effort:)

Check out Doug's cool trailer he built himself.:)
4E57A5FB-7B40-4C62-AE45-220F61935CD1_zpsn9pg7ssu.jpg

AA14523E-5AFA-43B4-9933-C6D8A156ECB6_zpsrs9lfd4p.jpg

Doug, tell us about your trailer. Frame, axle, suspension, tire size? Why the tail-first configuration? Apparently loads over the tongue, and has drop ramps for the mains?

trailer spec's

The trailer deck is 8'x16' and overall less than 22'. The tongue has 5" Aluminum channel as a guide/ramp. There is a 3" drop where the main gear goes and I use 2' 2x4 as ramps. The plane loads easily with the towbar or the winch, but for me the winch is how I tie down for the road. The main frame is of 2" sqaure .083 tubing, the bridge over the deck is 1" x2" .083. The wing cradles are of 1" square and 1 1/2" angle. The bows holding the wings to the cradles are 3/4" plywood configured as clamshells. I also use the plywood clamshells on the rudder and stabilator for security on the road. The fore and aft hoops for the cradles are of 1 3/4" electrical conduit, with 3 bolts per side to secure the cradles. The axle is a 4" drop 74"spring center from Northern Tool. The wheels and tires are 13" .springs are 1500# slipper style. The deck is .080" aluminum diamond plate and the fenders are same material from Northern. Overall I think this trailer weighs about 850#, my truck pulls it easily. I can provide a sketch of my design and a material list for those interested, BUT, not for a few weeks. I'm working away from home now and will not have all the exact measurements until I get home.I'm happy with my design, my wife and I can load/unload the plane in 30 min. More practice will reduce that time. PM with any questions.
DBR

Roger Russell

I neglected to mention that my trailer is derived from the design by Roger Russell in Australia. I changed Roger's brilliant idea to fit my needs and skill level. I used steel for mine as I find that material easier and faster to assemble. I never would have thought to load the plane tail first and my hat is off to Roger!

DBRuth, congrats on finishing and flying your 12. I get to KGVL on a regular basis in my 12. Will look you up. Fly down to KCVC (covington) sometime. Bunch of RV's down there and we love to see your new bird.
dick seiders 120093

KGVL

Thanks for the invite, Dick. I saw your-12 two years ago at the cracker fly-in but didn't find you. I'll have to make a trip to Covington soon,it might even be inside my phase one box. I'm working now so it'll be a couple weeks before I get to fly again.

Back