What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Keyed holes.

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
OK, question for the brain trust-----------and later on, my own particular solution.

How do you deal with mounting holes that need an internal tab in the hole to keep a part from rotating??

Here is an example of what I am dealing with----------this bezel for an ignition switch had a tab,

11-03667m.jpg

but when I cut the hole in the panel I just bored through with the unibit, and said the heck with the tab.

I now see the error of my ways, and wish to rectify the error-----------thoughts are to either make an overlay like the switch bezel, but of material strong enough to do the job and rivet it in place, or to make a notch/keyway in the existing hole and make a really small "key" to insert into the notch----the bezel should keep things in place.

What have you done in this situation??

And, no, I am not interested in tossing the key switch and installing toggle switches.

Thanks in advance..............

Last edited:
ndmp9v.jpg
[/IMG]I have done this several times and it works AND works good. Clock the bezel where you want it and drill a 40 hole in the O in off. install a standard 3/32 round headed rivet and you are good to go. Bingo. :)

Larry

Last edited:
buy another one from ACS for $1.75 and flush rivet it to the panel in the proper position over the hole. Then install the ignition switch as normal, with the other switch cover installed in the normal sequence for looks (and to cover the riveted one).

Last edited:
Thanks guys------------good that the supplied bezel is strong enough to do the job. I was concerned that the tab in the thin bezel material would sheer right off.

OK, question for the brain trust.

How do you deal with mounting holes that need an internal tab in the hole to keep a part from rotating??

There was a guy in the FlyMart a few years ago at OSH that was selling drill bits just for that purpose. Looked like a unibit but had a slot cut down the side. I was skeptical so did not buy one. ;)

Simple, don't use a key switch.

No one in their right mind is going to steal an experimental and besides, all the keys are pretty much the same anyway.

Also, you won't have the keys hanging on your instrument panel scratching it up.

I'm with Mike...I kinda like the key. Usually on the left side, like a 911 or Cayman. :):)

Then again, I'm really stoked about the map box on my panel. Maybe a low threshold for excitement runs in the family.

Last edited:
I do not have a key switch but have had good luck with internal tooth lock washers in keeping switches from turning. Finding one that is 1" or more to fit your switch may be an issue.

Made one.

Yep, I made one. It is internally keyed to the switch, then I filed a notch in the hole in the instrument panel. I made it the right depth so it replaced the back nut and washer, then anodized it black. You should've able to see it here.

IMG_0336.JPG

Last edited:
Well, from all the responses it is pretty obvious that this feline can have its fur removed in many ways.

Here is what I ended up doing.

or to make a notch/keyway in the existing hole and make a really small "key" to insert into the notch----the bezel should keep things in place.

Cut a small piece from a piece of .060" thick extruded angle.

P8080014.JPG

This was filed as needed to slide into the key way slot in the ignition switch,

P8080031.JPG

and then a notch was filed in the hole in the panel to fit the leg of the angle sticking out, and here is the result. From the first photo above, the long leg is in the key slot, short leg in keyed into the panel.

P8080039.JPG

Solid as a rock:D

Last edited:
Back