VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   Places To Fly...Things to See...Things to Eat (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Do You Collect Grass Strips? (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=92506)

Vlad 10-27-2012 04:57 PM

Do You Collect Grass Strips?

I do. Would be nice to know who lands own RV on grass strips. I hope we don't head to "geared" arguments there are wise and respectable members here who are not comfy with grass fields for various reasons.

Do you remember your first grass landing? How it was? How many strips you have landed your RV on? Which one is your favorite? List them rate them :)

I gathered a good collection. Grass is something I missed in my previous life. I am ready to open my logbooks on green bookmarks and count them. Can you? :D

humptybump 10-27-2012 05:27 PM

I don't collect grass runways, I build them :-)

Honestly, it would be a task to go back and count them. I'd guess more than half of all my destinations have been grass. If you eliminate my primary training, then probably more than half my landings are grass.

My next "adventure vacation" will be to seek out back country strips !

(This winter's project is to switch the tyres up to 380's)

roadrunner20 10-27-2012 06:02 PM

I don't collect grass strips either, but the best I've ever landed on was at the TripleTreeFlyin. It was like landing on a carpet.

GLPalinkas 10-27-2012 06:40 PM

Go Grass

Yep, I land at a lot of grass runways. That's why I built a taildragger. I don't usually taxi down the sand roads :) but I have no problems with most grass/dirt/gravel strips.

Of course, my Taylorcraft was raised on grass strips and it really is easier to land in the sod than a hard surface in a taildragger.

By the way, Nice calendar :D

plehrke 10-27-2012 06:53 PM

100s of grass landings as my home airport has 3 grass and 1 paved runways. Love tickling the wheels in the grass on a perfect wheel landing. Of coarse every one of them is in my C140. Zero grass landings in my RV.

N941WR 10-27-2012 07:15 PM

Grass strips are the reason I built mine with the little wheel in back. Too many grass stips to count for N941WR.

humptybump 10-27-2012 07:28 PM

For me, a long grass runway is something to savor. Most of my grass landings are in the sub-2k club (with obstacles).

Any nice long good grass runways people would recommend ?

roadrunner20 10-27-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanLandry (Post 711499)
I don't collect grass strips either, but the best I've ever landed on was at the TripleTreeFlyin. It was like landing on a carpet.

As others have said, This is why I converted to a TW.

pauldan181 10-27-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad (Post 711488)
Do you remember your first grass landing?

My first flight out of phase one and first grass landing was to Sleepy Eye Minnesota. It was perfectly smooth and I did 3 or 4 full stops. Big Fun.

Favorite so far is at my friend Jack's back yard strip in Mocksville NC.

rv8or 10-28-2012 11:12 AM

Grass strip

My favorite is my own, not the best but still my favorite.

The smoothest Ive landed on recently is LKLT Letnany 5L/23R Praha Like a billard table.

Rob