What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 front seat -back and base

Hi all,

After purchasing an RV8 with a custom race car type carbon fibre seat I am finding I am sitting quite high and forward.

The seat attaches to the rear frame support for the stock metal seat back. It's then mounted on a custom seat bracket at the front holding it up about 3".

I am considering removing this race seat and placing the back seat panel back in and cushion.

I will need to make/ fabricate a new seat back panel. I have found photos of this panel.

:confused:

I've searched the Forum for photos of the standard seat back and seat base.

Is there a seat base or do the base cushions just sit on the floor? How is the seat back attached to the support frame and floor area. Riveted, screws etc ?

:confused:

Sorry about all the questions, but I don't want to re invent the wheel.

Any photos of this particular seat back attachment, cushions etc would be appreciated.

:cool:

If its easier to just email photos..:confused:

[email protected]

Thanks. :)

Last edited:
the seat back attaches via a piano hinge riveted to the floor panel. The cushions sit on the floor - a wedge shaped one at the bottom and the flat one for your butt on top of that. The back cushion fits against the seat back with velcro.

I have some pics around here somewhere that I'll post up if someone else doesn't beat me to it...

Last edited:
DSCN3551-X3.jpg

Fron seat bottom cushion

the seat back attaches via a piano hinge riveted to the floor panel. The cushions sit on the floor - a wedge shaped one at the bottom and the flat one for your butt on top of that. The back cushion fits against the seat back with velcro.

I have some pics around here somewhere that I'll post up if someone else doesn't beat me to it...

In the stock configuration, the base cushions only partially sit on the floor. There is also a metal "ramp" that extends from the floor to over the top of the spar center section. You will need to purchase and install these parts as well.

Skylor

In the stock configuration, the base cushions only partially sit on the floor. There is also a metal "ramp" that extends from the floor to over the top of the spar center section. You will need to purchase and install these parts as well.

Skylor

exactly correct - I don't have pics of it at hand unfortunatly

Tim, Skylor

Thanks for the replies and Tim for the photo. I'm sure my metal fabricator can make the back panel etc.

The base ramp makes sense also - hence the wedge cushion to level and the top cushion.

Once I get the race seat completely out, I'm sure it will be clear as I'm currently upside down looking under :D

I like the race seat idea, but I'm just slightly too big from the seat sides.

Thanks again guys.

Bernie. :cool:

SHF

Thanks for Posting the photos...:)

The race seat is mounted on front brackets 2" approximately up.

The rear on a timber cross member that is secured with right angle brackets.

I'm leaning to removing and replacing with a fabricated back panel for the seat back.:cool:

Back