What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Damage Repair Evaluation

rv3flier

Well Known Member
Monday 11-12-18 a tree fell on my hangar breaking several trusses. A piece of one of the trusses along with an 8' fluorescent light fixture fell on my RV-12 damaging both wings and breaking the canopy plexiglass. I did not build it so I need assistance in estimating the degree of repair needed and completing the repairs as well. The loss is fully insured so expenses would be paid by the insurer.

I'm located on a small airfield out of La Center, WA near Vancouver. If anyone knows of someone in the area who's qualified and willing to assist, please contact me by PM.

Thanks,
John Warren

Wow John, that sucks! Have you talked to Burl Rich yet?

Assuming this Is John from La Center View just up the runway from Lee.?.

Monday 11-12-18 a tree fell on my hangar breaking several trusses. A piece of one of the trusses along with an 8' fluorescent light fixture fell on my RV-12 damaging both wings and breaking the canopy plexiglass. I did not build it so I need assistance in estimating the degree of repair needed and completing the repairs as well. The loss is fully insured so expenses would be paid by the insurer.

I'm located on a small airfield out of La Center, WA near Vancouver. If anyone knows of someone in the area who's qualified and willing to assist, please contact me by PM.

Thanks,
John Warren

Will the insurance company get estimates and line up a shop somewhere up there in Vans country?

Looking at the somewhat hidden silver lining here------the 12 is designed to have the wings removed easily, and the plane trailered somewhere.

I have no personal experience with Synergy, but have heard much good about them, might be worth checking with them.

And, they are pretty familiar with the 12 IIRC.

Thanks for the quick response and suggestions. Russ, yes I'm at WA29 -- you did some welding on the motor mount of my RV-3 some years ago. Thanks for reminding me of Burl. And, Russ, I haven't seen you flying around recently. Are you still active?

Synergy is quite a way from me but Aurora would be more doable -- thanks to both mike s and rvbuilder2002 for the suggestions.

So, far, the insurance company is asking that I do the leg work, but it's only been several days since it occurred. Due to the damage to the roof and trusses, I don't think I can safely open the bifold hangar door, but I think I can get the wings and canopy through the man door.

Yep still active, just flew down your runway last Thursday, one week ago today.

Lots of good suggestions from the guys here, you should be back in business soon 🤞

Dare I suggest that you do the repairs yourself? The wing kits go together very quickly and the canopy is not all that difficult to accomplish -- building is part of the experience! I gather that most insurance companies will reimburse you for your repair labor -- perhaps you can negotiate a mutually acceptable arrangement. Good luck and hopefully you'll be back in the air soon.

Very sorry to hear of your misfortune.

This is not the time to be emotionally attached to your aircraft. If in your position, I would do everything possible to get the insurance company to total your RV-12. This is most likely a real possibility considering the replacement of wings and canopy....very large labor costs in addition to parts. If repaired it will have some serious damage history in the logs. It is probably better to get a check for the plane and go find you a fresh RV-12.

Best wishes for a satisfactory resolution regardless of the path you choose.

Last edited:
Without seeing the damage it?s tough to give advice, but if the wings had significant damage I?d check the bulkhead behind the seats where the spars attach and make sure there is no damage there or where the skin attaches to the bulkhead. The canopy frame is probably warped too, and I?d check the crash arch. Probably stuff you have already thought of, but thought I?d make the suggestion.

Thanks for the additional input. My hangar is going to be out of commission for an extended period of time. The lead time for replacement roof trusses is into January.

The damage is not extensive enough to total. Other than the broken plexiglass canopy, there's no damage to the fuselage. A part of a roof truss hit the r. wing tip forward edge glancing off and hitting the canopy. An 8' overhead fluorescent light fixture fell onto the top of the wing. The rest of the damage consists of the right wing tip forward of the spar, two parallel cuts through the wing skin forward of the spar a crease in the skin at the spar interface and assorted small dents on the top of the wing and three sharp dents along the trailing edge of the right flaperon. On the left wing, a crease at the rear spar interface and several small dents on the wing skin.

I've contacted Metal Innovations for an estimate.

Russ, your (Lee's) RV4 must have been going too fast --

My hangar is going to be out of commission for an extended period of time. The lead time for replacement roof trusses is into January. That's irritating

The damage is not extensive enough to total.
I've contacted Metal Innovations for an estimate. Excellent

Russ, your (Lee's) RV4 must have been going too fast Maybe:) -

Thanks for the additional input. My hangar is going to be out of commission for an extended period of time. The lead time for replacement roof trusses is into January.

The damage is not extensive enough to total. Other than the broken plexiglass canopy, there's no damage to the fuselage. A part of a roof truss hit the r. wing tip forward edge glancing off and hitting the canopy. An 8' overhead fluorescent light fixture fell onto the top of the wing. The rest of the damage consists of the right wing tip forward of the spar, two parallel cuts through the wing skin forward of the spar a crease in the skin at the spar interface and assorted small dents on the top of the wing and three sharp dents along the trailing edge of the right flaperon. On the left wing, a crease at the rear spar interface and several small dents on the wing skin.

I've contacted Metal Innovations for an estimate.

Russ, your (Lee's) RV4 must have been going too fast --

Prepare to be shocked when the labor estimate arrives for replacement/repair and paint to return your RV-12 to the condition it was prior to the damage. Again...very sorry you are having to deal with this situation...I know you had rather be flying and based in a sound hangar. :)

Thanks Sam,
I followed your RV-6 build and now see that you've got a D. VII -- beautiful! Have you had any dog fights?

Thanks Sam,
I followed your RV-6 build and now see that you've got a D. VII -- beautiful! Have you had any dog fights?

Haven't had to dogfight...those pesky SPADS see the D.VII coming and turn tail and scamper for friendly territory. :D

Thanks for the kind comments and hoping you have a good resolution.

Don't be surprised if it is cheaper to build a new set of wings than repair your damaged wings.

When you add in the shop labor rate, fixing things can get expensive in a hurry.

It is all speculation of course with none of us having actually seen the extent of the damage in this case, but I will say that there is probably not an aircraft constructed of aluminum that is any easier and quick to repair as the RV-12.

Replacing a couple or three wing skins (including professional shop labor) can be done for a fraction of the cost of just the parts to build one wing.

Thanks for the feedback, Scott. Marcus from Metal Innovations will probably be over to Van's on Monday or Tuesday to check on parts.

Glad to see you have a path to resolution John.
Give me a call if you need some grunt as we spoke on the phone.

Looks like another Gorge wind event today. It's strange that we had no wind here and you had massive gusts just a few miles away.

I saw your hangar door open a couple weeks ago. Did you get your airplane out ok? Did you find a place to get it fixed, are they working on it (the airplane or the hangar)?

Russ,

Metal Innovations picked up my RV-12 on the 5th and trucked it to their facility at Aurora. The repairs are projected to be completed around the 3rd week of January. Looks like I'll be able to store my plane in my next door neighbor's hangar until my hangar is repaired. I'm waiting until spring to do that.

Russ,

Metal Innovations picked up my RV-12 on the 5th and trucked it to their facility at Aurora. The repairs are projected to be completed around the 3rd week of January. Looks like I'll be able to store my plane in my next door neighbor's hangar until my hangar is repaired. I'm waiting until spring to do that.

Excellent!!!

wow what an unfortunate sequence of events. hey, if the plane is going to be out of service unexpectedly, I suppose the cruddy months like Dec & Jan would be the best time to have it happen.. best of luck.. but it sounds like you got some quality people on it now.

rcarsey, you're right about the timing. I just got word this morning that the flaperons have been reskinned, the left wing top skin and the work on the right wing is done except for the wing tip. The major work will be on the canopy, which should start this week.

Back