What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

forward top fuselage skin missing rivet

Greenley

Well Known Member
The build manual on page 41-9 has you leave out two rivets on the rear lower corners of the forward top fuselage top skin. They are marked "not riveted in this section". Well I am way working on panel and engine wiring at this point and have not seen when I am supposed to put in those two rivets. Please help me find what I missed. I have searched and searched.
Thanks

The build manual on page 41-9 has you leave out two rivets on the rear lower corners of the forward top fuselage top skin. They are marked "not riveted in this section". Well I am way working on panel and engine wiring at this point and have not seen when I am supposed to put in those two rivets. Please help me find what I missed. I have searched and searched.
Thanks

You've got me stumped. I even spent five minutes looking at the plans too. To be honest, I can't remember. It's been too long ago.

I'd be inclined just to rivet them now. If they get in the way of something later, just drill them out. If you have problems sleeping at night, then give Van's a call.

Door alignment

I think they are used for aligning the doors when you mount them to the cabin top. That's why you leave them open for now.

Vic

And...

I had the same question. I went through the plans and was not able to find ANY section that had you rivet those holes...so I riveted them..

Doors done, so will rivet. Sometimes rivets are left out to attach something later, could not how that could be the case here. Thanks for the advice. I have missed things before :)

Doors done, so will rivet. Sometimes rivets are left out to attach something later, could not how that could be the case here. Thanks for the advice. I have missed things before :)

That's why I can't remember. I didn't rivet this assembly until much later than the plans called for. This allowed me to take out the whole upper assembly and work on the panel much longer into the build.

If your talking about the rivets fire and aft of the door openings don't rivent them until you do the doors. These holes are used to orient the doors and hold it to the fuselage to glue and fit the doors in the cabin opening

Back