VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   Polishing your RV (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Almost ready to give up on Polishing (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=135982)

704CH 03-22-2016 04:43 PM

Almost ready to give up on Polishing

OK, the idea of Polishing is amazing and the parts that I have polished are turning out absolutely beautiful, but, I am really struggling with a few things... I'll try to keep my questions simple..

How do I keep the hangar Clean?

I am using the 3 part perfect polish recipe. Does anyone use something other than fleece wrap on the first round of F7 Cyclo? I seem to go through the fleece fast, and would rather have a cleaner option that wasn't a consumable. For example foam pads, or even cyclo wool pads? Any good recommendations?

For my first round including the compounding it looks like it will take about 100 hours. Does this seem about right? It is really slow going and seems you can't take shortcuts and to get the kind of finish I am hoping for.

More questions to come I am sure. I built a plane, fly that plane and maintain it.. I just hope I can polish it.. Seems a completely different set of skills.

I am finding that going to work with black hands and face is kind of embarrassing.

thx

DaAV8R 03-22-2016 04:57 PM

Polishing

Quote:

Originally Posted by 704CH (Post 1064317)

I am finding that going to work with black hands and face is kind of embarrassing.

thx

When I sit in the Monday morning meeting with stained hands, I can't help but wonder what all those other people did all weekend. You'll get used to it 😀

billnaz 03-22-2016 06:02 PM

Expectation management

I've long ago given up on having the perfect polish job. It requires a level of commitment and dedication that I just don't possess. I have noted that most people that comment on my polish job think it looks fine. They are just not as critical as I am of my own work. A polished plane at any level just looks cool. Just don't park next to "that guy" with the show plane. :cool:

rzbill 03-22-2016 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billnaz (Post 1064331)
I've long ago given up on having the perfect polish job. It requires a level of commitment and dedication that I just don't possess. I have noted that most people that comment on my polish job think it looks fine. They are just not as critical as I am of my own work. A polished plane at any level just looks cool. Just don't park next to "that guy" with the show plane. :cool:

+++++++1

I can't agree enough. I think mine looks like ****, but I get compliments frequently.

David-aviator 03-23-2016 05:54 AM

The only way to have that show stopper perfectly polished airplane is to have enough money to employ at least 2 guys full time to keep it that way. :)

miyu1975 03-23-2016 06:37 AM

I am ready to throw the towel. Starting up piggy bank for paint.

Canadian_JOY 03-23-2016 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miyu1975 (Post 1064442)
I am ready to throw the towel. Starting up piggy bank for paint.

What's the straw that broke the camel's back for you?

I'm looking at polishing but am perfectly willing to accept a "20 foot shine". I'm hoping for something akin to the look of new aluminum, not a mirror chrome appearance. Am I deluding myself? Our aircraft will be hangared and I'll likely continue putting sheets over the wings to keep the dust off...

Snowflake 03-23-2016 08:40 AM

I haven't given up *yet*, but i'm getting there. What's going to do it for me, is that i've got a lower back injury that doesn't let me spend more than about an hour at a time polishing. I can go through a fleece wrap in that time, but I'll pay for it for the next couple of days with soreness and reduced mobility.

I don't really like the rate that fleece wraps are consumed either... Washing them and re-using isn't an option for me, I don't have a spare washing machine or dryer and I suspect it would only double their life at best anyway.

There has to be an easier way... Oh, wait, there is... Paint! :)

TomVal 03-23-2016 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David-aviator (Post 1064437)
The only way to have that show stopper perfectly polished airplane is to have enough money to employ at least 2 guys full time to keep it that way. :)

When I had my PT-22, I eventually hired a guy to come in quarterly to polish. It was worth the money and my time.

azrv6 03-23-2016 10:16 AM

Has anyone tried foam pads and a DA polisher on their aluminum? I used such a system to polish a fabric airplane this year and it worked very well. The paint manufacturer recommended using a wool bonnet and a traditional rotary polisher, but I went the DA/foam pad route instead. At least you would eliminate the flying wool syndrome. You still need to maintain/wash the pads but I didn't find that a problem. The DA polisher weighs a lot less than my big Milwaukee rotary polisher and doesn't put the strain on the lower back.
I'd guess that if you are a purist and need that special show plane mirror finish, this won't work for you. But, if you are just trying to maintain what is to you an acceptable level of polish, it might be an alternative worth looking into.