What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Austin TX ??

pilotkms

Well Known Member
Anyone have suggestions or experience with the airports on the north side of Austin? Headed there next week on first cross country after Phase 1.

I haven?t been there in the RV, but Austin executive KEDC has plenty of runway and an excellent FBO

I have been there several times over the last 2 years, and can recommend it.

Austin has Uber and Lyft again, so getting downtown is straightforward.

I landed at Executive last year and it was great! Not much traffic and a very interesting jet engine display in the FBO.

I use Austin Exec all the time for overnight tie-down ($10/night) for our trips to Austin, but the fuel prices are way high. Georgetown Muni KGTU has fuel in the mid-$3?s, and it?s only a few miles northwest of there. Their ramp rates are as reasonable.

Whatever you do, DON?T drop into Austin Bergstrom. The landing fees, tie-down fees, and fuel prices are insane.

T74 - Taylor TX

Best BBQ in Texas, or so it is told. Grab the crew car and have at it!

T74 does not have the traffic that GTU does...until their students come to T74..

Right traffic landing S; fuel at $3.70 or so this week.

Last edited:
Best BBQ

Best BBQ in Texas, or so it is told. Grab the crew car and have at it! ...
Hey Mark, you're going to need to be a bit more specific - are you saying that all the BBQ places in Taylor are better than everyone else's, or is there a specific one? You might get into a bit of a tussle with the Llano and Lockhart guys in any case on best BBQ. :D

Dunno!

Hey Mark, you're going to need to be a bit more specific - are you saying that all the BBQ places in Taylor are better than everyone else's, or is there a specific one? You might get into a bit of a tussle with the Llano and Lockhart guys in any case on best BBQ. :D

Used to be Louis Mueller's was the top dawg. Not so sure anymore - the current operators have changed things up. Vencil Mares' place is lethally good, as is Davis BBQ.

Ed's Place has a great big ol' hamburger and fixins if you prefer that over BBQ. Randy's Ice House is another one in the lethal category.

I've 'been around some' and I have yet to find bad BBQ anywhere. Coopers in Llano is also one of the lethal places, unless they are out of cobbler...which never happens...

Haven't been to Lockhart lately, but I used to keep my C-140 down there when I lived in S Austin...BBQ was a normal thing then.

There are more!

Plenty of Good Options

We're based in Austin. You can't go wrong with any of the options listed, EDC/GTU/T74. It's mostly where you want to be. GTU and T74 will get you the best fuel prices, but EDC is the best option if you want a full service FBO.

If you need full service, Austin Exec (EDC) is excellent. Their SS fuel is less than the FBOs at GTU. I've been in there for PnP missions and have never been hassled or charged a ramp fee. Plenty of ways in and out by car, but the main highway is a toll road if that is a consideration.

GTU is also a great option if you don't need a car (Uber/Lyft/friends) or don't mind the enterprise game. There are some transient tie-downs by the terminal building / fuel pumps. The controllers are easy to work with, and it is easy in and out. There has been some construction recently but not a problem. Of the three, it is the only one with more than one runway.

Taylor is a nice quiet muni airport. The runway is good, but just taxi a little slower than usual on the parallel taxiway. It is a bit wavy in some places that can catch one by surprise.

Regarding BBQ - Hard 8 at KSEP is our favorite and is worth a stop if it isn't too far out of your way. Walking distance (or they will pick you up), where Coopers in Llano requires a car.

Lakeway?

How about Lakeway 3R9? I have a need to go to that part of town. Any info appreciated.

Thanks

snip

Taylor is a nice quiet muni airport. The runway is good, but just taxi a little slower than usual on the parallel taxiway. It is a bit wavy in some places that can catch one by surprise.

snip

The taxiway at T74 is NEW and smooth. The taxiways have changed around on the S end, but not too much. The ramp 'has not changed'...new hangars are done, but not yet occupied.

Tanya - you gotta get out more.:D

One caution

How about Lakeway 3R9? I have a need to go to that part of town. Any info appreciated.

Thanks

I haven't been there personally, but I do know they take their no ops between sunset and sunrise rule VERY seriously (civil twilight does not count at Lakeway).

Great Info

Thanx for the info all. Sounds like southern hospitality (and BBQ) abounds near Austin. I'll post my experience here after my trip. If anyone has more info on Lakeway 3R9 please post. That is the closest to my destination. And NO plan to go into A-B.

Keith

Used to be Louis Mueller's was the top dawg. Not so sure anymore - the current operators have changed things up. Vencil Mares' place is lethally good, as is Davis BBQ.
Ed's Place has a great big ol' hamburger and fixins if you prefer that over BBQ. Randy's Ice House is another one in the lethal category.
There are more!

Thanks Mark, took the RV to T74 today and the crew car to Davis', would never have found that place if not for your post, it's off the beaten track, going to try the rest in the near future.

Cheers.

Austin Exec

Completed my relocation flight with Warner Robins GA my final destination.
Left Cable airport in SoCal at 7am. Made 2 fuel stops - Marana regional (KAVQ) AZ. Very nice airport with a cafe and self service pumps. Then on to San Angelo (KSJT) TX. Lots of jet traffic which got most of the ramp attention. I'll just say that I dont plan on stopping here again. Landed at Austin Exec at 5:45. They took care of me and the plane even with jet traffic arriving. Very good service. Reasonable self service gas and Low overnite parking of $10. Had great BBQ at the downtown Coopers.
Left the next morning with varying cloud layers and had to stop in Natchitoches (KIER) due to IFR. (Pronounced "Nak u tish" for us non-locals). Another nice GA airport with good service, a courtesy car and nice people. Actually spent the nite in the pilot lounge. Departed at 7 into clear skies.
Stopped for fuel in Moton (06A) AL. Great little airport with good service. Plan on going back to see the Tuskegee museum. Landed at final destination Perry Houston KPXE Georgia at noon with a welcoming party.
Had a great series of flights, great adventure and almost perfect experience for 2000 miles in 3 days with my son Kyle. The RV is a magical machine.

Back