What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Traveling Light to OSH

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
This will be my third consecutive year to fly to Oshkosh in my 7A. My son, all 6?-3? of him will be flying with me. We plan to camp by the plane. Has any of you ever boxed up and shipped your camping gear to OSH? If so, how is it done ie where do you ship it so that it can easily be picked up and carried to Home Built Camping? I?d like to keep the plane as light as possible for the trip there as he and I are about 400lbs worth of the useful load.

We've done it for the last several years but last year I had sticker shock for the cost of shipping. FedEx from Texas to OSH was $70 but return was $240 :eek:. I asked for the least expensive shipping but think I got snookered as I didn't wait for a receipt and trusted GES Services. Planning to save money on shipping by building an RV-10 so we can carry everything we want.

Last edited:
I have done it for years. The GES shed is right next to the EAA headquarters building and if you time it right, the welcome wagon can get you there and back easy peasy.

Just make sure you ship it with enough time to get there by your arrival and realize that if you arrive after the GES closes, you are hosed!

Last year the weather delay caused me to have to sprint to the GES shed on foot! Good thing I am a jogger!

Thanks guys! That?s exactly the info I was needing! I knew it might be a few $$$ but beats sleeping in the rain.

Last question, how far ahead of the show should we ship the gear? I?m in SE corner of New Mexico. Is a week ahead sufficient?

Last question, how far ahead of the show should we ship the gear? I’m in SE corner of New Mexico. Is a week ahead sufficient?

This is what it says on the label you are to use for shipments:

"SHIPMENT SHOULD ARRIVE ON OR BETWEEN:
Thursday, July 18, 2019 after 8:00 AM - Sunday, July 21, 2019 by 5:00 PM"

If it arrives early, they will turn it away and ask the carrier to deliver it within this window. They did that to my box one year. It all worked out though.

So it depends on where you are, what service speed, and your carrier as to when to ship it. From East TN, I use UPS and ship it on Tuesday and it gets there on Thursday. I usually pick it up on Saturday.

One more thing....

While the EAA website says no USPS services on the field, there is a large post office on the North side of the fence by the FBO. Never tried to use it though.

I pack a return shipping label and tape in my box and apply before returning the package back to ges services.

I've never been charged more for return shipping.

This year I am traveling with whatever fits in my fight suit pockets - everything else is going by “Tundra”....hope Louise doesn’t get delayed enroute! ;)

Last edited:
I predict Brian and I will be on the same Welcome Wagon to go pick up our "box" :).
We don't ship stuff that we can't live without for a night or two. Like the tent!

Also, don't forget, most major and minor emergencies can be easily solved with a short walk across the street to Target with a credit card.

Also, don't forget, most major and minor emergencies can be easily solved with a short walk across the street to Target with a credit card.

Second this one.... Target is an easy trip and the welcome wagon can help make it easier.

I predict Brian and I will be on the same Welcome Wagon to go pick up our "box" :).
We don't ship stuff that we can't live without for a night or two. Like the tent!

Shipped the "survival kit" to Osh yesterday. Came in at 49lbs. :eek:

I guess we are committed now! :p

One thing I noticed was that the UPS Store will replace the absent FEDEX tent that was missing last year. Last year we had to drop off outbound shipments at the GES shed. I like that better (UPS Store) since the GES required me to fill out some form with my CC info on it and tape it to the box :eek:.... that did not seem very secure....

Last edited:
Shipped the "survival kit" to Osh yesterday. Came in at 49lbs. :eek:

I guess we are committed now! :p

One thing I noticed was that the UPS Store will replace the absent FEDEX tent that was missing last year. Last year we had to drop off outbound shipments at the GES shed. I like that better (UPS Store) since the GES required me to fill out some form with my CC info on it and tape it to the box :eek:.... that did not seem very secure....

Yep, the CFO shipped our tub yesterday too, but ours only came in at 34# !! I must be doing something wrong :p See ya on the welcome wagon!

Our rough plan is a Saturday early morning arrival. Hoping for moderate IFR weather and a reservation :).

Hey, Jerry, that means you'll be in high demand Saturday for the initial beer run!

Last edited:
Back