VAF Forums

VAF Forums (
-   RV Building Tips/Techniques (
-   -   The Unhappy Cracky Club (

Scott Chastain 01-11-2018 12:26 AM

The Unhappy Cracky Club
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
How long shall I take counsel in my soul,
Having sorrow in my heart daily?
How long will my enemy be exalted over me?

Consider and hear me, O Lord my God;
Enlighten my eyes,
Lest I sleep the sleep of death;
Lest my enemy say, "I have prevailed against him";
Lest those who trouble me rejoice when I am moved.

But I have trusted in your mercy;
My heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
I will sing to the Lord,
Because he has dealt bountifully with me.

Psalm 13

wjb 01-11-2018 07:17 AM

Great writeup Scott! All the minute detail is very informative. Looking forward to hearing how it stands up for your next 40 day cross-country trip!

9GT 01-11-2018 07:29 AM

Fantastic write-up and documentation of your repair Scott! A post that will get referenced and studied for years to come I am sure.

Saber25 01-11-2018 07:29 AM

Excellent repair description and helpful pictures. How many labor hours involved?

Every time I look at my 30 year old canopy I knock on was possibly the most difficult part of the construction.

Cheers, Hans

Canadian_JOY 01-11-2018 12:15 PM

Great write-up indeed. I didn't know the Plasti-Fix product existed. Good to know.

Given the highly hazardous abrasive application process you used, I'm glad to see you had canine supervision to ensure you did it right! :-)

Bevan 01-11-2018 01:10 PM

Excellent workmanship, and result write-up. Thanks for documenting it for should it be needed in the future.


jklusman 01-11-2018 01:21 PM

Thanks for the super documentation, Scott. The canopy on my RV-8 has a 5-inch crack in almost the same location. It has been stop-drilled twice and seems to be stabilized. This canopy was installed using machine screws. I didn't build the aircraft, and when I bought it, the crack to the first stop-drill was covered with a decal. After the crack extension, probably caused by temps near zero in the hanger, I paid more attention to closing the canopy and noticed that latching it caused a slight distortion of the frame to the left. So, I now close the canopy the final 1/4 inch when getting ready for T/O by pushing on both sides of the front frame. Don't know if that will make a difference, but it sure can't hurt. I leave the canopy open 1/2 inch when it's in the hanger. I've bookmarked your page just in case...

RViter 01-11-2018 07:49 PM

Kept expecting a surprise ending - a faux Targa strip painted on the inside/outside of the Plexi that would look like a design feature.

Since I'm not an RV-8 owner the position of such a faux strip and the possibility of simply obscuring visibility is difficult to judge but considering the visual effect, would it otherwise work?

Thanks for the write-up and details of a repair option.

moosepileit 01-11-2018 09:08 PM

Could make it look like the SMDC in some ejection seat systems.

Captain Avgas 01-11-2018 09:43 PM


Originally Posted by Scott Chastain (Post 1231382)
As the polishing progressed, small occlusions became visible along the upper edges of the V-groove.

The cause of the occlusions was unknown. Great care was taken to clean the plastic prior to bonding. Nevertheless, whether or not the imperfections would develop into full-blown cracks was yet to be seen.

Scott, a fascinating and instructive post with great pix. However a couple of questions for you.

Can you tell me why you used the PPG DX330 Acryli-Clean to prep the canopy. My understanding from reading the product tech info is that the DX330 is not suitable for acrylic (despite the name). The PPG SX103 might have been the more appropriate product. Is it possible that the occlusions you developed arose through using the wrong cleaner.

I am surprised that when you were using a Polyvance adhesive (ie Plastifix Clear) you did not use the Polyvance cleaner (1000-A Super Prep Plastic Cleaner) to maintain compatibility.

And finally, the fact that the Plastifix Clear was not in reality clear at all (but translucent) must have been disappointing. Is it possible that a Weldon Product might have been more transparent.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:34 PM.