What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip Nav/Strobe Lights

Sandrews

Well Known Member
What are you guys using for nav/strobe lights in the stock wingtip location? Is there a more economical version than the $700+ kit that Vans sells? I have Landing/taxing lights in the stock location, so just looking for the navs.

Thanks

My plan

My plan is FLYleds and baja design lights. JMHO
I am think of putting the lights in the tips too

I just started flying with the FlyLED nav and strobes and have received comments that people can see me at twice the distance as other aircraft due to their intensity. And this is in bright sunlight.

Very happy with them.

another vote for flyleds. I put them in my RV-4 and they are fantastic. paul is great to work with.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Just finishing up installing them in my 9A tips and tail. Got the wiring mostly run Monday on my project. Still only tested with a 9v battery and they seem very bright. For the price vs performance I am not sure how you could do any better and Paul has been quick to respond to any questions I have had.

aveo strobes....

Very happy with the AVEO nav/strobe performance and at the time, meeting the FAA night requirements was an important decision factor for me. Not sure what the AVEO lifetime warranty is worth, hope I never have to find out....:rolleyes: Having all the aircraft lights on and watching only a few amps total draw...kudos to the inventor of LED technology!!

$50 LEDs pilotlights set of 3 that fit in Grimes mounts, not a sponsor.

Red MSTRBs at $40 Each, one on top over vertical stab fairing and one on belly. superbrightleds- not a sponsor here.

MSTRBs are silent and wicked bright with great coverage. LED Navs do need a toroid clamp magnet on each positive lead, two loops through, near the bulb end in the wingtips. Unshielded wiring existed grounded locally, so the worst case.

Magnatometer, original GRT, is under the fiberglass tail fairing foraward of vertical stab base.

Aero-lites $60 each landing or taxi bulbs in par36 form factor.

$250 and some recycled Grimes housings.

Last edited:
Very happy with the AVEO nav/strobe performance and at the time, meeting the FAA night requirements was an important decision factor for me. Not sure what the AVEO lifetime warranty is worth, hope I never have to find out....:rolleyes: Having all the aircraft lights on and watching only a few amps total draw...kudos to the inventor of LED technology!!

I second Aveo, very happy with the product and great customer service.

+1 Aveo

I have all Aveo stuff, including Herc 30s for my landing/taxi lights in the leading edge. I should look like a 747 on approach. ;)

FlyLEDS

Just in process of assembling the FlyLEDS from PAul and so far the customer support has been great! Missed the skinny board on order form and Paul helped me get them.

Still assembling and so far so good, however, he needs to update the photos in instructions.

Way less expensive option and i have heard great reports on brightness.

Dave

A question on the FlyLEDs...

They offer a tail LED. Is that a tail strobe, tail position light, or a combo light like what you would buy from Whelen. I built my own wingtip system and it was very affordable, but the tail strobe I had to buy. Some day I want to remove the strobe pack in my RV-10 and stick a combo LED in the tail. If FlyLEDs is a combo, I'd consider it, although I'm a bit concerned about water/weather as opposed to a fully sealed unit like the Whelen that I put on the -14...that is a very nice light.

G'day Tim

We offer a stand-alone strobe that operates as a combo position light and strobe light. We also add custom flash patterns to this model for you.
I now coat these units with a protective lacquer, so moisture shouldn't be an issue (nor has it been yet!).
If it fails I'll replace it!

The standard model tail light shown on our website is designed to go with the wing kit. It also functions as a combo light under the control of the central control board, so that the tail light flashes in pattern with the wing boards.

Very nice. I may just have to try that out later this year. It's definitely a lot more affordable than going Whelen, so if it's noise free and reliable it should be a real good deal.

Another +1 for Aveo - got their Ziptips, they are very bright and look great (caveat: I'm not flying yet).

Yup, Aveo has a few different options with the ZipTips being the coolest by far.

For $3K they better be way cool!! That is a lot of avgas.

I've been running AEROLED nav/strobes for five years on the RV-10 and will use them again on they new RV-8 project. Landing lights will be a RUN-D 40W 3" spot LED Cube Pod in each wingtip. This is a well made product and two are just $160.

Carl

Took a very quick video tonight as I tested the Flyleds on 12V for the first time. The camera is bright, but I promise in person you can't look directly at the strobes.

https://youtu.be/LeG35VOrt24

Obviously I am a piece or 2 from flying, but at least the position lights are working now.

very cheap- DIY

What are you guys using for nav/strobe lights in the stock wingtip location? Is there a more economical version than the $700+ kit that Vans sells? I have Landing/taxing lights in the stock location, so just looking for the navs.

Thanks

Its old but works great- the LEDs today are brighter and less expensive but 6 years later they still all work flawlessly. I think it was $20 per side for the whole project
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=37018&highlight=pete+howell

As for the strobes- using old police strobes- from strobes n more- here is an example http://www.strobesnmore.com/Surface-Star-Next-Generation-Self-Contained-LED.html - I dont have these but if I was installing today probably would go this route.

Pascal

EDIT: Hmmm....No idea why this ended up here; it was a response to the thread about a diode on the back of an alternator.....

If you're right, and it is a transorb, then you need to ask yourself why it's blown up. If the alternator went into overvoltage, it would have blown. If the battery was ever hooked up backward, it would have blown.

Note that if installed in a properly configured system (definitely *not* the case in that picture), the transorb (or a zener diode, for that matter) would not blow; the fuse/breaker that's (should be) upstream would blow/trip.

See the data sheet on the Spruce link for proper configuration. It isn't intended to protect the B lead circuit of the alternator, and cannot actually protect anything wired as shown in your pic.

Last edited:
FLYLEDS

Yep another A++ for FLYLEDS.

I have had them for near on 3 years and brilliant.

And support.......second to none. Any issues, Paul is always there to give a hand.

My posistrobe failed and they replaced it no questions asked!

Last edited:
Ended up going with Aeroleds from Vans. After checking out many at OSH I liked their install the best.

Back