What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap actuator bar

Would anyone send me a photo of their flap actuator bar installation? I'm doing electric flaps but doesn't matter- what I see is conflict with the angled gussets on the rear wing spar carry through bulkhead. The actuator bar, when installed in the blocks, will strike both sides of the angled lower part of this bulkhead when extending flaps. This must be very simple but I'm not sure if trimming these angles is ok. I'll call Van's if necessary but a photo or description will certainly work for me.
Thanks for any advice.

Gusset contact

Wyn,
I am just building my 4 and will await answers also. I ASSUME the gusset is the lower limit of travel corresponding 40* flap and the arm comes UP for 0*.

Doesn't seem to be that way on mine. I've installed the nutplates for the blocks and temporarily fitted the actuator bar (I have the manual and the electric bars) and rotating them downward as needed for flap extension I contact the gussets well before 40 degrees.

Yes, the triangular gussets will have to be trimmed to allow full travel for the flaps. I remember seeing this noted somewhere and may be in the ?Builders Manual?.

Ross Scroggs
RV4. #3911
Finishing stage

Wyn, this was early on in the build. I can send you some more pics tomorrow. I’ve git the floor plates pulled and can get you finished pics. One thing I’d do different is the floor plate. I did platenut it down, but I’d cut out around the nylon hold down blocks because you will be taking this off and on many times fitting things. The two piece floor plate would be a lot easier if it was in more sections. Your original question- I did have to cup out the flange on both to get full down on flap bar

fod63b.jpg

I had my grandson print these flap rod fairings on his 3D printer. I covered the top with aluminum and a leather slit out. I should have printed the top also and then cut out the peanut shape for the flap rod. A piece of foam glued to bottom seals up around rod nice.
1zflz61.jpg

Last edited:
Back