What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Compressor size for the 12

Dmadd

Well Known Member
I took the weekend build class at Synergy and am now stocking the garage with the tools. Im wondering what size compressor is recommended for the 12?
I will be buying the pneumatic rivet puller like the one used in the class, but do NOT see myself painting this thing, so tailor recommendations with that info.

Thanks
Dennis
Camas, WA

The answer to your question will depend upon what tools you intended to run. An 8 gal unit which I had prior to deciding to build worked well for me, but I essentially only used a rivet puller on it. I used an angle grinder briefly, but the compressor ran too much to keep up with the air demand. So, if you?re not planning on running more than a rivet puller, 8 gal would be more than adequate, and could probably even get away with something a bit smaller. If you?re planning on running an air drill or other tools, someone else can probably give you better direction.

Tool usage will really determine this. In my case I bought a 21 gallon compressor and REGRET it almost anytime I do drilling in the garage. I love my Nova air drill but man I wish I had gone with a 60 gallon compressor. Those can even be had for around $600 new. I rarely even try to use my die grinder anymore because the compressor can't keep up, I do however still suffer through it when I need to. In short, there is too small and not too big when it comes to compressors in my mind.

I completed my RV-12 with a 29 gallon HF compressor (29 gal. 2 HP 150 PSI Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor) which worked well for me. The advantage here was that this runs off a standard 120 house current, where I think some of the larger units run off 220. I ran a dedicated line and kept the compressor in the basement. I just ran a flexible line up into the garage. This helped keep the garage quiet and reduce water in the line during summer/winter months. The belt drive oil type compressors are much quieter than the oil-less compressors and I've heard that they last longer. I hooked up an inline filter system and painted the interior with PPG concept without issues. Good luck and enjoy the build.

MJ
Flying RV-12 (50+ hrs and trip to Oshkosh 2019)
N418MJ
Warren County, OH (I68)
[email protected]

Suggest you focus more on the compressor output rating (typically cfm @ 90 psi), as that is the more important factor in how useful it will be for your build. You will find that compressors with the same size tank can have very different compressor outputs. A larger tank will help with high volume but short usage, but not for longer usage.

If you do a search for air compressor here on VAF, you will find a number of past discussions regarding compressors.

Good luck with your new build.

a lot of tools that are driven by air can be bought really cheap in electric and i don't know why i would want to drag an airline to where the electric cord goes. i hardly ever used an air drill as portable drills have come so far. the electric grinders that i have from hf are still going strong. most of my air was for riveting and as others have said it doesn't take much for that. if you're bucking solid rivets you won't even notice the noise of the compressor.
besides putting air in my car tires and an impact gun i don't have much use for air after the build is done so besides having no use for a big compressor i would rather have my money in electric tools, not air.

Suggest you focus more on the compressor output rating (typically cfm @ 90 psi), as that is the more important factor in how useful it will be for your build. You will find that compressors with the same size tank can have very different compressor outputs. A larger tank will help with high volume but short usage, but not for longer usage.

If you do a search for air compressor here on VAF, you will find a number of past discussions regarding compressors.

Good luck with your new build.

This is always my recommendation. However, that comes with some caveats. Tool ratings aren't really standardized and compressor ratings in SCFM are always at 0 psi. You'll find that an air drill is rated at like 5-6 CFM but can really use 15-20 under load! Same for die grinders and other tools.

If all OP wants to do is run a riveter, IMHO, get a quiet compressor with wheels. It won't drive you nuts and it will run the riveter and fill up tires and do your cylinder checks come annual.

I have a 5hp 80 gal Ingersoll Rand compressor in the garage that I use for painting/priming and everything that needs lots of CFM. And I have a small Kobalt that I use to do 80% of everything else on the plane. It will NOT run a paint sprayer for any real amount of time (1-2 sqft max).

FWIW, I got a "cheap" one from Harbor Freight.. As long as it lasts a couple years for a build, I'm good. I had a smaller one from Home Depot, but after a year, the cylinder destroyed itself..and was super noisy.

I decided to get an oil based compressor as they are quieter than oil-free ones.. though you probably shouldn't spray paint/printer.. at least not without a good filter.

4.0 CFM @ 90psi for $200

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-compressors-tanks/20-gallon-16-hp-135-psi-oil-lube-vertical-air-compressor-64857.html

Thanks for all the info. Glad I asked. I didn't know what I didn't know... :)

I ended up going with a "HULK" 2 hp 10 gallon unit. It fits under the bench on the wall. :)
It puts out 8.39 @ 40psi and 5.77 @ 90psi (whatever THAT means)

The BEST part (IMHO) is how quiet it is.(42 db) it's VERY quiet. My wife cannot hear it running in the garage, from just inside the kitchen door.

As I said I am only using pneumatic rivet puller... and inflating a new motorcycle tire occasionally...

The neighborhood has a million kids and Dads that are looking to be involved in this adventure...

Here we go...:D

Honestly, thats one of the reasons I'm doing it. Ive been incredibly lucky/blessed to have a life in aviation, and kids today just don't know HOW to get there...so I figured I'd try to lead as many as I can over to the fun side of that chain link fence...

That, in itself, is almost enough reason to build an RV-12.:)

I agree with jcarne

Tool usage will really determine this. In my case I bought a 21 gallon compressor and REGRET it almost anytime I do drilling in the garage. I love my Nova air drill but man I wish I had gone with a 60 gallon compressor. Those can even be had for around $600 new. I rarely even try to use my die grinder anymore because the compressor can't keep up, I do however still suffer through it when I need to. In short, there is too small and not too big when it comes to compressors in my mind.

I bought a 20 gal Northern Tool compressor from which is in adequate for painting, drilling or die grinders. If you want to do those things, get a 60 or 80 gallon compressor. If not, I recommend small and quiet like a California Air Tools 8 or 10 gallon.

My 2 cents.

Patrick

Back