What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nord-Lock washers

gossend

Well Known Member
Anyone consider using Nord-Locks on the main landing gear attach bolts? You know, the bolts you check every year and find them slightly undertorqued - again? Guarantee the Nord-Locks will fix it!
Given the peak stresses seen at touchdown, I'd even consider their new X-series washers. They would handle the momentary bolt stretch on the front-most bolts. Check out the videos on the Nord-Lock site - They'll make a believer out of you!

Nordlock

Hi

Then washers are super against vibrating, I used it on the four engine mounts.

But Sensenich doesn't know the system. Because the bolt reduce part on the engine is a washer. A turning part !

Hello from Switzerland

Daniel RV -12 #120383 330 hrs

Nord-Locks are great!

I use 1/4" Nord-Locks to hold my brake discs to the wheels, with the approval of Matco. I also use 7/16" Nord-Locks to hold my 4" prop extension to the crankshaft with my own approval ;)

Since installing the landing gear modifications in 2013 my landing gear bolts have not loosened at all, and I don't use Nord lock washers.

Nord-locks

Since installing the landing gear modifications in 2013 my landing gear bolts have not loosened at all, and I don't use Nord lock washers.

Good to hear that. About how many hours have you put on the airplane; and more importantly, roughly how many landings. And is that mostly on dirt, grass, or pavement?

No Nord-Locks. Torque still the same (just did my maintenance).
160 hours. 200 landings. 50% grass/pavement.

Good to hear that. About how many hours have you put on the airplane; and more importantly, roughly how many landings. And is that mostly on dirt, grass, or pavement?

UL Power

UL uses N-L washers throughout their engines and they work great. They are little pricey compared to a common lockwasher, but when you absolutely want to be sure that the bolt is locked in place and don't want to use red loctite, they're great.

Hi

Then washers are super against vibrating, I used it on the four engine mounts.

But Sensenich doesn't know the system. Because the bolt reduce part on the engine is a washer. A turning part !

Hello from Switzerland

Daniel RV -12 #120383 330 hrs

While I applaud the use of N-L washers on your engine mount, I hope you also used cotter-pins. They're great lock washers, but pins are the bulletproof retainers I'd recommend for critical items such as your engine mount; use both and have the "belt and suspenders" approach. Nothing like a military grade nuclear option :D

Back