What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT HRx and Garmin 430w

Maverick972

Well Known Member
Good evening, my new to me RV-7 has a GRT HRx and I am really starting to get the hang of it but the learning curve is very steep.

My the airplane also has a Garmin 430 WAAS GPS which is IFR certified. (When I purchased the airplane the owner made me promise I would get my IFR cert. so that is the plan but down the road.)

The HRx talks to the 430, but it also has the GRT remote mounted GPS, additionally I have a switch in the cockpit and the Trutrack Digiflight II auto pilot will talk to the HRx or the 430.

I wont get into adding a flight plan into either of them as I am learning that also, but what should be my primary navigation source? Meaning should I just input flight plans into the 430 and not the Hrx? What have others done?

I want to get the most out of my system but as a newbie need to tackle one issue at a time.

I will add that I have one more transition training lesson to do then I will have a little over 10 hours of training, that and my membership here is the best money I have spent. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT

Use the 430 as your primary input location for flight plans, you want the muscle memory to be there as you do your IFR training. Use your last hour of transition training towards that end.

Use the 430 as your primary input location for flight plans, you want the muscle memory to be there as you do your IFR training. Use your last hour of transition training towards that end.

+1. Likewise use the HXr to control the autopilot. But, for emergencies, make sure you can also run the autopilot from its own controls, connected directly to the gps.

Like others have said, primary should be the 430W. But let me throw a couple cautions and suggestions your direction.

1. It is very easy when your just starting out to become ?equipment fixated.? Therefore do not scrimp on CFI/CFII instruction. Remember if you?ve got your head in the cockpit trying to setup equipment for some navigation purpose your not paying attention to what the aircraft is doing, where your going and whose around you.

2. Spend time learning how to operate your equipment on the ground before trying to fly. For your Garmin 430 there is a great UTUBE instructional video that I recommend you watch at least ten times and then continue to review it until you can almost repeat in your sleep it?s dialogue and switch movements. It?s called ?Garmin GNS 430/530 Non WAAS Training.? While yours is a WAAS gps this video is still very appropriate.

3. There are some GRT sponsored tutorials by Jerry ?Widget? Morris that are excellent for teaching you how to operate your GRT HXr system and give some excellent operating techniques. Those videos can be accessed at http://grtavionics.com/home/video-tutorials/

An acquaintance flew his airplane into the ground a while back because (several of us believe) he was fixated on setting up his new Avionics equipment in semi-instrument conditions for an approach to an alternate airfield. The equipment was recently installed. Being new and different from what he was use to (we think) contributed to fixation and inattention to the aircraft?s flight direction. The accident resulted in two fatalities. He was a 4,000 hour pilot so it can happen to anyone.

Know your equipment! Always have a backup plan and be ready for the unexpected. When things get tight is not the time to figure out ?how to enter a change in flight plan, setup an approach, or operate a piece of equipment? in a manor you haven?t tried before, thoroughly practiced, and can implement with minimal equipment input. Safe pilots spend a lot of time studying and preparing themselves for the unexpected.

+1 on Jim's post.
Modern avionics have amazing capabilities. But with that goes a certain amount of operational complexity. Do not underestimate the time you will need to spend reading manuals, on-line, and in the hangar with an external power source, figuring all this out.
One of the early RV10 fatals happened with 2 pilots on-board: the owner, who was not IFR rated; and his friend, who was IFR rated. Since they were in actual IMC one can presume that the friend was acting as PIC. But according to the NTSB report, the friend had no experience with modern glass panels. The NTSB report makes clear that they had trouble and/or were unable to get the avionics "set up" to display what they needed for an approach.
When you start your instrument training, it is best if you can find a CFII who is familiar with your particular equipment. That may be hard to find. It may be necessary for you to educate your instructor in the use of your panel, prior to entering actual IMC.

Back