What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy track lube?

Nothing.

We take the wheels off from time to time and use some molly on the shaft. Other than that we keep the track clean by wiping it out with a cloth. The roller wheels will need replacing as they wear down over time along with the rear slide block. All of this is just a visual inspection and on the PM list of things to check. Just what we have found over time. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Like Robert I just lube the roller shafts with a light oil occasionally. Biggest thing to me is keeping the dirt out of the track. Larger particles tend to chalk the wheels.
The rear slide usually causes the greatest resistance. A little synergism from other experiences comes to play here. Some years ago a tech rep for vinyl windows on my home recommended Lemon Pledge to clean and lube the sash tracks. Worked great. Many use the same product to clean plexiglas. So after cleaning the canopy I dampen the cloth with Pledge and wipe the track on the turtle deck. Once out of the latch well the canopy will slide on its own.
Cheers.

FWIW, I occasionally spray some SailKote on the track. I used it in the track of our main mast to help the delrin slugs travel more smoothly through the track in an aluminum mast.
David

The problem is where?

As I note on my ship - the spine track gets sticky or scuffed or just angry with our treatment of it on some odd timeline. I polish the upper sfc with Rolite and it's good to go for a while. Lots of buffing makes no difference in how long the job lasts.

I'm trying to think of how long a 'treatment' lasts - maybe 90 days or so? I notice the change when I turn around & taxi back - does the canopy thunk into the stop (also on the track - FYI - don't ask the trucks to absorb that shock load for any extended period of time especially on the T/D ships) or does it need some particular words to be uttered?

I clean the tracks yearly at the condition inspection.

I highly recommend that airplane owners talk to a paint shop about the effect of silicone contamination. Using a product like silicone lube or Pledge may make your aircraft difficult to paint.

What's worse, your aircraft may contaminate other aircraft in the paint shop.

I use carnuba wax on my spine track to lubricate and protect.

V

Back