What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tip up with a wet compass?

Wet compass is not required. A "magnetic direction indicator" is required. If you are installing glass instruments, that will include the required indicator. I do not have a wet compass in my plane.

Before I cleaned up my panel, it was top center of the panel, to the right of where the old six pack used to reside.

Rephrase

I guess I should have phrased the question better. If you put a wet compass on the glare shield of a tip up when it is raised it tilts the compass to close to 90 degrees? Does that hurt the compass? Thanks

I guess I should have phrased the question better. If you put a wet compass on the glare shield of a tip up when it is raised it tilts the compass to close to 90 degrees? Does that hurt the compass? Thanks

I put a cheap automotive compass I bought from walmart up there when my FAA inspector insisted even though my EFIS has a magnetic indicator.

anyway, 8 years later and its still there and I've noticed no negative effects of the tip up. but again this is a $10 walmart version not a more expensive aviation model.

I've had one of these on the glareshield of my tip up for 10 years with no issues at all:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/Nav2400Campus.php

The other posters are correct that it is not required. But some kind of magnetic direction indicator is.

Last edited:
I Velcroed a compass to my glairshield and as soon as the inspection was over, I sent to Doug for hisn next project.

Would like to hear where those with tip ups put their compass. Thanks

Mike,

My Whiskey is on the panel. At the time of certification it was the only directional indicator I had. My DAR required it. Everything on the panel hurts this wet thing of the last century. However, flying Day VFR x-country the wet compass is pretty stable. Calibrate it (crazy deviation though) and the instrument will work as advertised. Once I had a bright kid in the right seat I demanded his iPhone off for 20 min. During those 20 minutes he was aviating using wet compass. Was very proud to see the aircraft only 1/2 mile off the track CJ may confirm. :)

Last edited:
When I started my instrument rating my instructor pointed out that in a glass cockpit, with a total electrical failure a whiskey compass will still work. If you don?t have one because you were technically correct about the rules, that will be small comfort. We equip our planes to our own risk tolerance. I tend towards the overcautious ?cause, hey, I know I can screw up and I know stuff happens.

Let's see, I have tow separate Dynons with separate magnetometers, backup batteries, backup alternator, Garmin 496 with it's own battery, iPad and iPhone. I'll risk flying with no wet compass.

Back