What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Come Roll on the Grass - 9VG fly-in

Louise Hose

Well Known Member
The Shannon Airport breakfast crew headed over to Weirwood, Virginia on the "Eastern Shore" for the Come Roll on the Grass fly-in at Campbell Field Airport. What a great event! Apparently, Gordon and Christine Campbell open up their farm/airfield every Sunday that they are around and the weather is good. The weather was fabulous today and about 30, maybe more, aircraft flew in. (I think there were a half-dozen drive-ins, as well.) The Campbell's served hamburgers, hotdogs, chili, chips, cookies, sodas, ice tea, ice cream, and more. They ask for a $5 donation per mouth. The field has a webcam, controllable by viewers over the internet, so we had fun calling family and friends, then waving at them. Although we didn't take advantage of it, the field allows....nay, encourages....overnight, primative camping 365 days a year.

Photos from the event today (and the flight over and back) are at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/DrKarst/CampbelField070107

Information on Campbell Field Airport is available at:
http://www.campbellfieldairport.com
You can sign up for notices on upcoming fly-ins.

This place is a real jewel. If you're in the area on a Sunday (in particular), check it out! Just watch out for the powerlines on approach to 21 and keep your nosewheel up.

Last edited:
Soup on Sundays

I have flown into Campbell field for Soup on Sundays a couple times. It is a great place to go if you like to stand around and talk airplanes with bunches of other like minded people.

Gordon is a great guy (though he is building a plastic airplane).

The webcam is also good for checking out conditions on the field since it is accessible via the internet 24x7. It even does IR so you can see the place at night.

It is fun to talk to the broad range of people attracted to Soup on Sundays. There are a few "professionals" (cropdusters) and generally an ultralight guy or two.

You probably need a GPS to find Campbell since it is a bit hard to see from the air. I was about a mile from it when I spotted it the first time I flew in there.

As Louise said there are powerlines off the approach to the south end. There is also a bit of a hump near that end that makes a bit of a long touchdown advantageous. Overall the field is in good shape and safe.

Bruce
N297NW
RV-8

Cool Web Cam!

So I'm sitting here in Houston in my study, and it is raining - has been all morning long....the phone rings, it's Louise.

"Go to your computer and bring up this web site, and look for the web cam!" She says....and there she is! Now that's fun....especially when I figure out I can pan, tilt and zoom it, and they're all waving. Nice airplanes too, and I like the pictures you put up on Picassa.

I'm just glad someone had nice weather - and it really looked gorgeous. It certainly wasn't nice here - just good enough to go get a clearance with Houston and log a couple of approaches...

Paul

Back