What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Garmin Roll Servo Install

Jesse

Well Known Member
I am installing an auto pilot in an RV-4, but there seems to be a great lack of documentation for the roll servo installation. Any pictures/processes from personal experience would be a great help.

Thanks.

RV-4 roll servo installation

I don't want to remove the floor panel immediately behind the -4 spar for photos, but the long and short is that you attach a flange around the fore and aft control rod under the floor on the bottom side of the tube, with the equivalent of a hose clamp. The servo itself is secured to the floor and a very short actuating rod attaches the servo arm to the flange attached to control rod.

The installation is very tight, but it works fine if the geometry of the servo rod and flange are correct.

Jake Thiessen
Independence, OR

Take pictures when you do it as i recently bought servos for my 4 and havent looked into where to mount the roll and pitch servos. I was thinking the pitch could go behind baggage door and tie into bellcrank there?

Just installed a Trutrak roll/pitch

in an RV-4 ---- Jesse, I just used the install kits and drawings/pics that Trutrak sent me ---- I had previously installed one in my -6A, so, although not the same airplane, not that much different as far as the technique -- I put the -4 roll servo on the rt. side --- of course you have to cut the notch in the floor member, but the Trutrak drawings showed it clearly.

Ron

I am installing an auto pilot in an RV-4, but there seems to be a great lack of documentation for the roll servo installation. Any pictures/processes from personal experience would be a great help.

Thanks.

click on the "fuselage" section of my build. I have pics that show the aileron and pitch install.

Thanks all. I got it installed. Interesting how Garmin and Dynon have nothing for RV-4 roll. Only Trutrak does.

Back