What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show planes cowl

Electrogunner

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to hang the engine and work the baffling and cowl. What modifications need to be done to the vans supplied baffling for the SP cowl at the inlets? I'm trying to avoid doing things twice.

Showplanes cowl

The rear of the baffling can be set up as stock. The intake plenum from Showplanes needs to be set up to the cowl inlets then the baffling ramps will be set to the plenum.

Last edited:
Flyboys rents the tool for $100/mo., It worked great for my cowling installation, even though I didn't have my prop yet due to long MT delivery times. I used the measurements from the MT drawings. Made the job (almost) painless.

cowling

I used a router and trammel to cut a piece of MDF the size of the spinner back plate. Then I used 1/2" ID nylon spacers from the hardware store to locate the disk at the correct distance from the prop flange.

Does the same thing as the jig that they rent. The problem with the jig, when I was doing this, was that it was for Van's 13" spinner...the Showplanes cowl requires a 15" spinner. (I used an MT prop and the spinner blueprint says the actual spinner is slightly less that 15". I called Showplanes to verify)

Back