What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Purchased wing kit 85% done info please

Neal Trombley

Well Known Member
I was sent great pics and feel comfortable with the purchase.
I spoke with vans on transferring serial numbers etc all is good on that front.
Issue now is getting the fuselage SB version from vans.

I keep reading that there is a center piece that has to line up or work with the wings? I'm confused on this.

When I do order the fuselage is there anything I need to do or request from vans?

I really wanted to SB my wings but the savings was to great to pass up.

As usual thank you in advance.

Should be Included

The fuselage center section that you are referring to actually ships with the wing kit and the matching spars. The wing kit also includes the fuselage longerons, so be sure those are included as well.

Serial #'s may not match the center section with the wings. At least they didn't in my -7 shipped from Vans. But you should have the center and the longerons with the wing as mentioned before.

According to the older project builders this used to be a quite critical dimension, that the wing spars would have to be matched by serial to the center section - but in 2008 when I was building my wings I was one of a handful of builders that got wing spars that had the flanges incorrectly bent, and ultimately had them replaced. http://websites.expercraft.com/airguy/index.php?q=log_entry&log_id=30034

During conversations with The Mothership they informed me that my concerns about the close match on the spars to the center section were no longer a major problem, the current machining process was adequate to mix/match the serials without an issue. They shipped a new pair of main wing spars and sure enough when it came time to mount the wings, no problems were encountered.

Perhaps Scott can throw some historical clarification on that.

Bought quick build wings and built a SB fuse and bought a center section somewhere else, you can mix and match no worries.

Yes, I agree with the consensus that the center section does not have to match.

I ordered standard wing kit and a quick build fuselage.

When the fuselage arrived, it was a clunker :eek:.

Returned it to Van's and picked up a new fuselage...

No concerns about matching spars and center section.

Back