What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing wire run hose in fuselage

ctennis

Well Known Member
In 29-15 step 4 it says to enlarge the hole in the side skins for a snap bushing to accommodate wires and pressure lines coming from the wing. It also says that because it's an odd size, the bushing is not included in the kit but can be purchased from Vans.

However, it never says what size to enlarge the hole to, or which bushing from Vans it refers to.

Does anyone know offhand?

In 29-15 step 4 it says to enlarge the hole in the side skins for a snap bushing to accommodate wires and pressure lines coming from the wing. It also says that because it's an odd size, the bushing is not included in the kit but can be purchased from Vans.
However, it never says what size to enlarge the hole to, or which bushing from Vans it refers to.
Does anyone know offhand?

That's going to depend entirely on what you intend to run through it. You will need to determine how many of what size tubing, wires, etc. you will be using, put them together in a bundle and see what size snap bushing you will need.

This is the point in the build where you make the transition from kit assembler to builder.

Van?s cannot foresee all the various permutation of how builders will configure their projects. Look at what other people did, decide what you like, modify if/as needed, then make some decisions.

For the side, I used rubber grommets on the side wall lighting holes for conduit runs, three on each side, one one each side for the associated wing, two on each side going aft. I ended up with one unused condition the right side - so something to have if I do a mod down the road. Stein has a nice selection of grommets: https://www.steinair.com/product-category/cable-management/grommets/

For running wires forward, you will quickly run out of room on the left side where Van?s says to run wires. Run on both sides.

Carl

Okay thanks guys. Makes sense.

I slow built an RV-8, so I understand the builder vs. kit assembler part. I've also found that sometimes when you assume something in the plans that isn't clear, you find out later you shouldn't have, which is why I like to ask to make sure before I start cutting holes. :)

Back