What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F1 Rocket (or F4) under the floor flap actuator

vfrazier

Well Known Member
Formerly found in:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=154557&page=5

Moved here due to thread drift.... this topic deserves a home of it's own.

One of our builders modified his flap torque tube to fit beneath the floor. Here's his description:

Here's my flap torque tube--it runs under the floor. I measured incorrectly and have a small 1/2" or so bump in the floor for the top portion of the 970 washers I used. Just

saw the Tom Martin post. You can use these if you would like to post them, just identify me as "one of your builders". Close enough. 300 hrs, no problem. The arms are adjustable because this was the

prototype, but if I were to do it again I would make them fixed.

New%20Torque%20Tube%202009%20001.jpg

New%20Torque%20Tube%202009%20002.jpg

flap stuff under the floor

I tried to post some pics of my set-up but no joy. I have plenty of patience for designing and making but not for pics and computers.

I also put all of my flap stuff under the floor. The torque tube is under the floor with the actuator running for/aft thru the aft-spar carry-thru. The "bearings" are billet-machined pillow blocks that bolt to the aft-spar carry-thru just inside the side skin and house delrin bushings. This torque tube extends thru the side and the arm is in the wing root area. This effectively seals the flap actuation in all configurations and nothing is in the cabin. Its a clean set-up but did require a bit of work.

Evo flap system

The Evo also uses an under-the-floor system - very easy to install and ALMOST bone-head proof (I have to protect against myself, ya know). The Assy Manual is dated Sept 2007, so there has been plenty of testing done on this system.

This system uses robust spherical bearings (all metal) on each side (so no alignment problems) and three levers drilled in attachment to a torque tube (one for the actuator; two for the flaps).

I would expect that the levers might need tuning to work with the Sport wing = no big problem there.

The actuator has limit switches to keep things easy, and it is available on the internet for $114

http://www.dcactuators.com/Detail.asp?Product_ID=302.130_6104T

Vince can get a look and post pics if desired: Fuselage chapter, page 99-111.

Back