What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bottom cowl closeout glitch

woodmanrog

Well Known Member
We just finished our 1st Conditional Inspection at 150 hours on N199MJ. I'm happy to report everything looks like new except for this glitch with P/N FF-00003A (bottom cowl closeout). I would suggest using a doubler to strengthen this thin aluminum where the bracket is riveted. Happy New Year to our RV family from Roger and Myra.
oaj.jpg

Last edited:
Is that a crack I see? Roger , where abouts are you located in Fl. I’m in Clearwater for a week and would love to meet up if that would work out?
Ron

Last edited:
The photo shows the crack that is actually broken all the way through the aluminum. Last night I was thinking about my advice on the use of a doubler when perhaps a standard round rivet would work rather than a flush rivet. The bracket that is attached to the closeout is actually working like a doubler so I'm not sure another piece would be an improvement. Maybe a doubler on the OUTSIDE surface would be a solution or maybe just a heavier thickness of the cowl closeout.
Ron, I'm located in South Florida at HWO near FLL international. Email me at [email protected].

We just finished our 1st Conditional Inspection at 150 hours on N199MJ. I'm happy to report everything looks like new except for this glitch with P/N FF-00003A (bottom cowl closeout). I would suggest using a doubler to strengthen this thin aluminum where the bracket is riveted. Happy New Year to our RV family from Roger and Myra.
oaj.jpg

Has this airplane had a dynamic propeller balance done?

This is the first instance of this that i am aware of.
The RV-14A prototype is approaching 900 Hrs and still has the original part installed.

We haven't had a dynamic balance yet but I have to say that this aircraft is the most vibration free of the 4 I have owned. The prop balance has been on our list but we just haven't had the time. Thanks for the input, I know vibration can rear it's ugly head in strange ways.

Cracks are not spontainious but happen with vibration and force

I am wondering if it broke as a result of contact with the nose gear over a few assaults of landings or rough runway. Would this occur if the new one were trimmed away from the nose gear an eighth of an inch?

Doubling does not solve your problem, nor does changing rivet type. Look for chafed areas adjacent to it on the landing gear .

Good suggestion Bernie. I didn't notice any marks on the nose gear fairing but I Will check. Thanks.

I am wondering if it broke as a result of contact with the nose gear over a few assaults of landings or rough runway. Would this occur if the new one were trimmed away from the nose gear an eighth of an inch?

Doubling does not solve your problem, nor does changing rivet type. Look for chafed areas adjacent to it on the landing gear .

Good eye, aluminum is displaced in the bottom of the Vee.

Back