What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Meet Sully

petehowell

Well Known Member
Things are a bit slow around the office, so when the call came in asking if I could help transport a boxer from Indy to Minne, it was an easy YES. If the weather was good, I could swing it. The Boxer ladies had coordinated a 2 hop flight from Eagle Creek Airpark to Minne to help out the saddest case I have seen yet, Sully. Allegedly, Sully was caught in the middle of a fight between a married couple that were not getting along. One spouse left and the other took it out on the dog by not feeding him for several weeks.

Here is how he looked when they first got him. It was touch and go to see if he would make it thru the night.
sully%201.jpg

Hard to ignore that one. He is emaciated beyond belief.

WX stunk on Monday, so we scrubbed, but Tuesday was beautiful. Mike out of KEYE and I agreed to meet at 1:30 at Aurora, IL to exchange the pooch. The flight down was great - Approach cleared me into the bravo right up to 7500 for the trip down. That's Minne - way down there....
Sully%20Transport%20002.jpg

Yep, it is cold down there. Comfy in the cockpit with the sun on me, tho. Past Winona, this is over the Mighty Mississippi just north of Lacrosse, WI. The bluffs are on the Cheesehead side of the river.
Sully%20Transport%20018.jpg

Mississippi south of Lacrosse...
Sully%20Transport%20025.jpg

Ice chunks in the Rock River over Rockford.....
Sully%20Transport%20035.jpg

10mi SE of Rockford, Approach turned me loose and I descended to land on an ice covered runway at KARR. The nice people at Lumanair allowed us to bring Sully in to warm up. I met Mike and Sully, paid for my gas, and we were off. Given some food, this will be a gentle giant of a dog.
Sully%20Transport%20039.jpg

Very good natured, he put his head on my lap as soon as the O-320 started purring:
Sully%20Transport%20048.jpg

The only way to fly!
Sully%20Transport%20069.jpg

The trip home was very quiet at 6500. The winds had dissipated, so we made pretty good time. I dropped Sully off at Red Wing to meet his foster family. They will fix him up real quick and find a permanent family for him.
Sully%20Transport%20093.jpg

I departed Red Wing and hustled home to Anoka to beat the sunset and and the chill it brings on.........
Sully%20Transport%20095.jpg

It was a great trip! I brought the IPod Touch along and it worked really well while working with ATC. My son uploaded the latest EP(the Open Door) from Deathcab for Cutie the other day. Don't tell him, but I really, really enjoyed it. A little JT, REM, Springsteen and Jimmy Buffett rounded out the playlist.

I gotta tell ya, a sunny afternoon over the frozen Midwest with a Boxer head snoring in your lap, while singing along to the iPod is about as good as it gets!

Nice

Your a good man Peter. Glad there are good people out there willing to volunteer time and skills...makes up for all loooooooooosers that treat a great animal like that. Amazing that a human being could treat a creature like that.

Happy Holidays and Thanks for doing what you do.;)

Last edited:
First off Pete- good for you to keep helping out, moreso with cases like this.

I'm surprised he is being moved around like that, i'd think the local DA would like to prosecute for neglect on something like that, and they usually keep the animals around as "evidence".

maybe the couple relinquished him and its on the hush- hush, but people shouldn't be allowed to do that without a little punishment in my opinion.

edit to add- I've actually been accused of neglect, and the legal part is not something i think anyone should go through, without good reason. looking at the hips/ pelvis and ribs, i think there is very good reason to bring charges. i wouldn't be surprised if someone "rescued" him with part of the deal of voluntary relinquishment that LEO aren't involved so its hard on the boxer rescue folks, but something like that should get someone a serious legal talking to.

Last edited:
Legal Stuff

Danny - No idea on the how the rescue group handled the legal issue, but what he went thru certainly appears criminal.

First off Pete- good for you to keep helping out, moreso with cases like this.

I'm surprised he is being moved around like that, i'd think the local DA would like to prosecute for neglect on something like that, and they usually keep the animals around as "evidence".

maybe the couple relinquished him and its on the hush- hush, but people shouldn't be allowed to do that without a little punishment in my opinion.

edit to add- I've actually been accused of neglect, and the legal part is not something i think anyone should go through, without good reason. looking at the hips/ pelvis and ribs, i think there is very good reason to bring charges. i wouldn't be surprised if someone "rescued" him with part of the deal of voluntary relinquishment that LEO aren't involved so its hard on the boxer rescue folks, but something like that should get someone a serious legal talking to.

Pete, you are doing a great service there!

It is beyond me how anyone could neglect such a wonderful creature as a Sully! (or any pet for that matter)

I am very happy for Sully and know that he will now be taken care of in the way that I take care of my dogs!

Great work and a greater post!

:) CJ

Wow, what a great story. Hope I can find ways to volunteer my time and skills with the airplane when I'm done.....in 1.....3.....5.....10.....or 20 years. :D

?

Pete good work.

OK, you are a pilot, so you had to ask the question too. Does the dog's name have anything to do with the illustrious aviator? I'm guessing the dog is a little too old and that if you did ask, you didn't get the answer. Still, it is an unusual name?

WOW again

Pete,

WOW! I can't wait untill my 9 is done so I too can do some good things for Pups.

Great Job & Great Inspiration.

Thanks Pete

Sully and Pilots and Paws

Pete good work.

OK, you are a pilot, so you had to ask the question too. Does the dog's name have anything to do with the illustrious aviator? I'm guessing the dog is a little too old and that if you did ask, you didn't get the answer. Still, it is an unusual name?

Larry I did ask.......

I just got this in my email:

NTRODUCING SULLY, THE 200TH DOG RESCUED IN 2009 BY MN BOXER RESCUE
Sully, a starved and abused 2 year old boxer boy, arrived in rescue today

December 29, 2009 -- Woodbury, MN -- Minnesota Boxer Rescue (www.mnboxerrescue.org), a 501C3 non-profit animal rescue organization focusing on the boxer breed, is pleased to announce their 200th rescued dog this year. Sully, a two year old male fawn boxer, was surrendered last week to a pet day care center, so frail and sick from being starved and abused for who knows how long, that he couldn't even walk. He received emergency care until he was strong enough to enter our rescue and arrive at his new foster home.

Arriving at a local twin cities airport with "Pilot Pete" from Pilots 'n Paws around 3:15pm on Tuesday, December 29, 2009, Sully, named by our volunteers, was met with hugs and kisses from Valerie Current, Minnesota Boxer Rescue?s president, and Stephanie Hansen, Sully's new foster mom. Pilots 'n Paws (www.pilotsnpaws.org) is a non-profit organization bringing together pilots willing to donate their time and personal aircraft, and animal rescues like Minnesota Boxer Rescue. The organization transports animals to their new homes, and have been a great help in making a difference in an animals life.

"Sully is extra special to us here at Minnesota Boxer Rescue for many reasons", stated Valerie Current, president of the rescue. "His name represents the heroic efforts of Capt. C.B. Sullenberger (aka "Sully") when he landed the plane in the Hudson River earlier this year, saving many lives. While our Sully hasn't been that kind of hero, his story -- one of abuse -- has had an affect on everyone who has met him. Even after being abused and starved, he was willing to forgive and trust his new caregivers with wags of his tail and kisses. Who else besides an animal could have that much love and forgiveness inside them?"

Sully's starvation and mistreatment came at the hand of an abusive husband, getting back at his wife for taking the children and leaving. While we don't know the details, we do know that Sully is now in great hands. Stephanie Hansen, Sully's foster mom, plans on nursing him back to health and showering him with love: "For the past couple of days Sully has been on a diet of boiled chicken. That is all his stomach will allow, having been without food for so long. We plan on feeding him many small meals and then adding rice as he can handle it. When I first met him I wanted to cry at his condition. But he wouldn't allow me to, showering my face with kisses instead. He needs to gain at least 25 pounds before he is at a weight that is healthy for him. We will definitely take good care of him now."

If you are interested in adopting a boxer from rescue, please visit www.mnboxerrescue.org for more details. Sully won't be available for adoption for many months, but there are so many others out there that need a loving home, too.

About Minnesota Boxer Rescue: Minnesota Boxer Rescue was established in 2006 and has grown by leaps and bounds since its humble beginnings. We are proud to announce the rescue of 200 boxers this year! The main goal of our organization is an all-volunteer effort to rescue, rehabilitate, and re-home unwanted and abandoned Boxer dogs. When boxers are in need, Minnesota Boxer Rescue?s dedicated volunteers respond. Our mission includes hands-on rescue, as well as education. Many of our beautiful boxers have had a very ?ruff? start, for various reasons. We have dedicated ourselves to helping as many of these dogs as we possibly can.

About The Boxer Breed: The Boxer's most notable characteristic is their desire for human affection. Their spirited attitude, square jaw, and cleanly muscled body suggest the well-conditioned middleweight athlete of dogdom. The Boxer is happiest when they are with people...especially children!

Their short smooth coat, handsome chiseled head, and striking silhouette never fail to excite comments from passersby as they trot jauntily by your side with neck arched and tail held erect. Yet the Boxers' greatest wish is to be with children, watching protectively over their play. They are truly a "dog for all seasons," suiting the need for household guardian, attractive companion, children's playmate, and loyal friend.

Boxers are the #3 breed in Minnesota for 2009.

For further information contact:
Rebecca Hauptman, marketing and public relations volunteer, MN Boxer Rescue
510-501-0247
[email protected]
or
Karen Niznik, Intake Coordinator, MN Boxer Rescue
763-221-5880
[email protected]

Keep it up Pete! I'm looking to fly my third dog before the work grind starts anew.

Dogs make great passengers!

Had to show my wife the pictures as well. .. She called the dogs in to see so they'd be grateful for what they have. You're doing a great thing Pete.

Mary and I signed up for PilotsnPaws a few weeks ago after reading Pete's write ups. We are eagerly awaiting our first trip. Thanks Pete!

Happy New Year to all.

Great Work

Pete, thanks so much for the work you do and these stories. I'm now looking into the program to see if I can help. My work schedule gives me lots of extra time that could hopefully benefit such a program.

I must admit the Sully story was difficult to read and see the pictures. I teared up looking at that beautiful defenseless dog. Just 5 minutes with the guy who did this:eek:

This appears to be the most dire case you've posted. Can you update with Sully's condition in the future?

Thanks again for your hard work and posting the stories.

Fantastic Pete! FANTASTIC!! I'm with Darwin on how I read the story...there's too many useless people in this world...probably wouldn't take five minutes.

I've been a member of PnP for most of '09 just watching the stories, and waiting for the day that my 7 is done so I can jump in and run as many pups as I'm able to do.

For all that are involved in animal transport, KEEP THE POSTS COMING! :cool::cool:

I'll tell you what Pete, the photo labeled "the only way to fly" (3rd from last in your original post) is the best! What a face! That one should be entered in to a photo contest somewhere.:)

Sully Update

From the foster family:

Good morning everyone! Just wanted to let you all know that Sully did absolutely wonderful his first night. I've already fallen in love with him. He and I snuggled all night together and he even whined aroud 2:00am when he had to go potty outside. He tends to go out, go pee and then want to come right back in. We'll have to work on that since he has had a couple of #2 accidents inside. But...can you blame the poor guy? He's been through **** and doesn't have an ounce of fat on his body to keep him warm! He is eating wonderfully. Audrey did get him changed over to kibble before he arrived, but I am still mixing in some cut up boiled chicken breasts I had ready for him. He chows down! I am feeding him about every 3 hours during the day for now. He's taking his meds from the vet right with his food and doesn't even know the difference. He woke up this morning, yawned a big ol' boxer yawn and then "talked" and "talked!" It was the cutest thing
ever! He just blabbed and blabbed and you could tell he was smiling inside! Not failing this foster (and keeping him) is going to be the hardest thing ever to do.....we'll see how it goes, but I'm already finding myself falling in love with him! :) They are all getting along GREAT and I'm sure Frisbee and Sully will be best buds in no time! Anyways, we have a vet appointment this afternoon at 4 and I have my fingers crossed that everything goes well! Thank you everyone for all the support...I am trying to keep up my best at getting back to everyone! I have donations coming in from multiple people via website or giving me checks made out to MNBR and I cannot thank them enough! Hopefully they keep rolling in! Everyone have a great day and I'll be sure to give Sully and big ol' hug and kiss from all of you! He's a VERY tall boy and will be HUGE once he's filled out!

Boxers are a Great Breed

I grew up with Boxers, they are a wonderful breed. Very calm, very loving and they don't really bark much at all. It broke my heart to see one so emaciated, glad he is in good hands now.

Hans

I must admit, that Darwin was not alone in his tears as he read "Sully's" story. Even though I knew that there would be a happy ending once Sully was in Pete's RV, I could not temper my anger and sadness with the ordeal that this poor soul endured.
I join those who are of the opinion that crimes such as this should carry a huge price including a lengthy jail sentence and hefty fine. However, I do support amnesty to those who surrender their animal to a qualified organization. Without amnesty, many of abused animals would never be given a chance to find a home and would likely be dumped or as we saw with Sully, left to die an agonizing death. Having said that, I fully support prosecution to the fullest extent of the law (which are not harsh enough...i.e that piece of human garbage that plays backup for the Eagles) for anyone who is caught by the authorities abusing or neglecting animals.
My wife and I are supporters of the CA West Highland Terrier Rescue, and once I have my plane(s) back to flying, I am hoping to be able to do some transport. There are many ways that one can make a difference for homeless and abused animals, and we encourage everyone to do what they can whether it be financially, volunteering to foster, transport, etc.

Great job Pete. I too would like to "explain" to this guy how to treat a trusting animal, but looks like I would have to stand in line. I volunteer for Atlanta Boxer Rescue, (www.atlantaboxerrescue.org). I hope you don't mind ,but I have been forwarding links of your rescues on to ABR. My brother and my RV-9A is in the paint shop now and when we get it flying I have already told ABR I'm available for any aerial transport they need.

David Estapa
Woodstock, GA
RV-9A N97KE (flying soon)
Kitfox 5 N97DE (grounded-engine out into a bean field)

Vet Update.....

From the foster family

Hello everyone! One more update for the day! Great news for Sully! He had his appointment at the vet clinic this afternoon and everything went great! They are treating him a little longer for the coccidia and for the giardia, but all in all....great news! His lungs sound great, heart sounds great and our instructions were to finish out his meds and give him tons of TLC....now that won't be a problem! The vet clinic absolutely thought he was beautiful and VERY sweet! They also said that he was the worst case they had ever seen, but were very glad that he was able to be saved......

041.JPG

From the foster family

Hello everyone! One more update for the day! Great news for Sully! He had his appointment at the vet clinic this afternoon and everything went great! They are treating him a little longer for the coccidia and for the giardia, but all in all....great news! His lungs sound great, heart sounds great and our instructions were to finish out his meds and give him tons of TLC....now that won't be a problem! The vet clinic absolutely thought he was beautiful and VERY sweet! They also said that he was the worst case they had ever seen, but were very glad that he was able to be saved......

Great news, Pete! Please do keep us posted. When the day comes that Sully finds a good home, we need to assure that he arrives wearing a VAF bandanna!

Say What??

.....My brother and my RV-9A is in the paint shop now and when we get it flying

David Estapa
Woodstock, GA
RV-9A N97KE (flying soon)
Kitfox 5 N97DE (grounded-engine out into a bean field)

David...I just have to ask! What is the color scheme for painting your brother?!
Even though we are both in our 50's, I have a little brother that I still owe some payback for our younger years!

Mary and I signed up for PilotsnPaws a few weeks ago after reading Pete's write ups. We are eagerly awaiting our first trip. Thanks Pete!

Happy New Year to all.

Hi Dave,
Nice meeting you and your wife last week.
I signed up earlier this week.
Looking for a mission now.

The only way to fly!

I absolutely love this picture. That is one content, happy doggie. I bet he hasn't been that content and happy for a long time. Pete, you have a big heart and I admire your generosity. Seeing Sully's pictures actually got me choked up...I can't believe anyone could ever hurt a pooch like that. After the owners get a divorce, throw the responsible one in the slammer.

I think this pic might just be the Benadryl talkin'.....but it is one of my faves, too!

The only way to fly!

I absolutely love this picture. That is one content, happy doggie. I bet he hasn't been that content and happy for a long time. Pete, you have a big heart and I admire your generosity. Seeing Sully's pictures actually got me choked up...I can't believe anyone could ever hurt a pooch like that. After the owners get a divorce, throw the responsible one in the slammer.

I'll tell you what Pete, the photo labeled "the only way to fly" (3rd from last in your original post) is the best! What a face! That one should be entered in to a photo contest somewhere.:)

I threw this one to Avweb's Pic O' the Week along with the story. We'll see how we do.......

Sully%20Transport%20058.jpg

Pete,
Thanks for taking on this worthy cause. Our family has adopted a retired racing Greyhound and often wonder how he was treated back in his day...
He acts afraid of everything. After three years in a loving home, he is finally starting to act like what you would expect a "normal" dog to act. There is no doubt in my mind that he was treated poorly. The racing Greys are used up on the track and are pulled as soon as their times start slipping. Once they are pulled, they are either quickly adopted, or they are killed by their masters. They make great pets and are quite sedate until they have their daily "mad minute" where they relive their racing glory in the backyard. It is amazing to watch him open up the throttle, and his cornering ability is awesome.
They don't bark, they don't eat much and they are so lazy that they make you want to take a nap...adopt a Grey!

Have to agree with tinman about greyhounds.

Pete,
----- They make great pets and are quite sedate until they have their daily "mad minute" where they relive their racing glory in the backyard. It is amazing to watch him open up the throttle, and his cornering ability is awesome.
They don't bark, they don't eat much and they are so lazy that they make you want to take a nap...adopt a Grey!

Here is a link to a photo album of my greyhounds Windy and Snoopy:

http://windy-snoopy.inselaffe.com/#home

Click on the big image to view.

Rescuing Pups

Pete,
Thanks for taking on this worthy cause....

I will second that about greythounds! I have 2 (had 3, but she got old and passed on). I am thinking about offering my services to the Midsouth Greyhound Adoption Option folks and see if I can get a greyhound in the back of a Cherokee! They do fold up nice and small to be such a big hound dog

Captain Pete

Pete,
What a wonderful rescue mission and selfless activity on your part. I agree with the other comments about the criminal way that some people act. Thankfully there are people like you and the rescue mission that helps make things right. Looking forward to being your wingman on future flights.

The skiing is awesome in Steamboat. Stephen lost his wallet and government issued ID today. Lots of excitement.

Goosebumps!!

....just thinking what our RV's can accomplish:)

That, and genuine guys like Pete.

Blessed, Happy New Year,

Rescued Dog Airlift on New Year's Eve

I couple days ago I read PeteHowell's story about flying the very emaciated Boxer to a new home and better life. I was captivated by the plight of the dog and his chance for recovery thanks to Howell and his trusty RV airplane. I checked the website for the group PilotsnPaws and noticed a rescued dog needed transportation in my home state California. I got excited about helping another of "man's best friend" start a new life.

I contacted the rescue organization in San Diego requesting the transportation for the dog and discovered the dog was a 12 year old, 120 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback that had been abandoned!! Clearly too big for the front, back, or front and back of my RV6A. Fortunately, the owner of the company I fly for part time has a helicopter, loves dogs and flying, and was ready to go.

December 31st in Southern California was possibly the most beautiful flying day of the year. (Watch the Rose parade or Rose Bowl and you will see what I mean) From altitude you could see 120 miles from San Diego to Los Angeles, the offshore islands fifty miles away looked like they were ten miles away.

The gentle Rhodesian Ridgeback "Cooper" was 120 pounds and took up the whole back seat of the Bell Jet Ranger but once we figured out how to get him in, he seemed to enjoy the flight and a few snacks enroute to his new home and expectant new parents near Van Nuys airport including a fly-by of the Hollywood sign.

Flying Young Eagles is always satisfying and enjoyable and this flight was the same. That PilotsnPaws organization looks like a good opportunity for the RV pilot community to help out with some of their transportation needs.

I have some pictures of "cooper" flying I will post when I figure out how to do that.

What a funny video of Sully!

I have had 3 boxers in my life - Peanut grew up with our boys and was probably the finest dog I have ever known. She would talk like Sully if you looked at her and said "mama". She managed to say "mama" a couple of times over the years!

We now have boxer sisters - Sophie and Daisy, said I'd never have another dog after Peanut... Went to look and came home with 2!

I have a tremendous soft spot for this breed and it is GREAT to see Sully with his 2 possessions in the world - new collar and new blanket and in a warm and kind place!

Thanks for the update Pete.

David...I just have to ask! What is the color scheme for painting your brother?!
Even though we are both in our 50's, I have a little brother that I still owe some payback for our younger years!

Mark, The color scheme for my brother is green (because he is financing the project), but it might clash with the red, white, and blue of the airplane. :)

David Estapa
Woodstock, GA
RV-9A N97KE (Flying Soon)
Kitfox 5 N97DE (Grounded engine out into a bean field)

Not Good....Not Fair

From the Foster Family:

Hello everyone! It breaks my heart to have to tell you all this, but I had an appointment for Sully yesterday afternoon, as he was still in pain, still limping and still not eating the greatest...not good news!!! It appears, but has to be confirmed yet that Sully has bone cancer, which appears to have spread to his lungs. Normally the treatment would be to amputate his leg that is cancerous, but in his case since it has spread, they would nota amputate and he would have about 5 months. There is a small chance that it COULD BE a fungal disease, but they are leaning more towards cancer. We are getting a urine sample today to send off the the University of Indiana, as the U of M does not test for that and Blasto (fungal disease) is not common at all in Minnesota. They could do the bone biopsy, but with Sully not being very healthy yet, it would not be a good idea and wouldn't be safe for him. I'm an emotional wreck!!! He does not deserve this! He's been through enough!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I had better news....I should know the results the beginning of next week....I will let you all know ASAP once I hear anything!

Back