What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 insurance update

Dgamble

Well Known Member
I just got my first renewal on the 12:

"Your rate for the new year went down $175 to $1,125"

I replied:

"That's a pretty good decrease! Do you know if it comes from my having
more hours in the plane (still less than 40), or are RV-12 rates dropping now that quite a few more of them are flying and are proving to be a lower risk than the faster, more complex RVs?"

The response:

"I believe that the rate decrease is a factor of both reasons you list.
Also there are 6 companies willing to write the aircraft so there is
competition in writing coverage for the aircraft. Some of the quotes
are a lot higher than your quote but at least they are willing to write
it which is good."

Make of it what you will - I see it as a very positive improvement.

When you "shop" you generally provide info about your flying history, plane types, ratings, etc. Those affect your quote, and what the insurance co. may want in the area of transition training for you specifically. Someone else would get a different answer.

Great RV12 transition training in the Dallas area is available. Search transition training in the RV12 forum. Contact JETGUY. I was very rusty, no RV experience, and did 5 hours with them - a good choice for that particular case.

Transition training

My insurance company also only wanted a couple of hours. I was not comfortable with this, so I flew with Mike Seager in the Vans 12. He is about 1.5 hours from Portland in Vernonia, Oregon. I made a mini vacation out of it, and after 5 hours felt comfortable with my first flight.

Yes, I have exchanged emails with both John and Mike - I think they are the only 2 LODA's for the RV-12 unless I am missing someone else?

I think it will come down to wx and scheduling. I was just thinking if I end up with 4.1 hours or 3.9 hours will it matter that much for insurance purposes?

Falcon did not require transition training for me. As I recall, the quote was about $1200 which was a little higher than what I pay for my Cherokee.

Two of my previous projects were single seaters which rightly or wrongly made me feel comfortable doing the first flight without type specific training. The first flight turned out to be a non-event, and the hardest part was getting used to the low drag of the 12. If there had been a 12 available locally I would have tried to snivel some hours, but at the time I didn't know of any available for training.

Not too wander this thread but I was wondering what you did for Transition Training?

I have been "shopping", but Falcon said I only need 1-2 hours (which seems scary to me...)

What are most guys doing? I wanna do a 5 hour course, but I am wondering what the consensus is?
My policy was written to require either five hours with a CFI or five hours logged as PIC in make & model.

Back