What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 496 vs Aera 500 series

floridawing

Well Known Member
I am looking at a used 496 vs buying a new Aera 560. The only reason I was thinking about buying the 496 is that I have read the 496 is much easier to read in sunlight? I hate to buy used with no warranty. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Buy the 560. I also debated long before deciding. It was more about the fact that the 496 operated just like the 196 I have had for years and like. After borrowing and flying a 496 on a couple trips, I decided that the 560 was the better way to go. I am very pleased with the 560.

The X96 series is a little easier to read in the bright light but not drastically more so. Borrow both from someone and compare to help yourself make a decision.

Trouble with asking on here is that people will recommend whatever they have since they obviously made the best decision....:p

The reason I went with the Aera was:

#1. I did not want to invest in older already obsolete technology
#2. I did not want to invest in a device that has a flawed backup battery design.
#3. I wanted to upgrade my 296 to something that had weather capability.
#4. At the time, used 496's were going for around the same price as a new Aera with weather.

Last edited:
A couple of months ago I bought a second refurbed 396 to go in my rocket panel. I opted not to go with the 560 since it is not possible to set up the main screen with two columns of data on the right as it is with the 396/496, which is the way I prefer. Judging by the prices of 396's and 496's on eBay it appears the demand for these units is quite high.

I have both. The 496 is panel mounted and the 560 is on an adjustable
mount. They both have features i like better than the other. But I agree
with Brantel, I think the 560 is the better choice. The brightness issue
compared to the 496 is real, but easily managed if you can tilt the screen
in the mount. The 560 is much more compact in size and its mounting system
makes it much easier to manage the power, audio and XM cords. Also, the internal
antenna is very good and the 560 is a great auto GPS.

Last edited:
will the 560 drive the autopilot the way the 496 does?

Hello buj,

Yes, the Aera 560 has an NMEA output like the 496 to drive an autopilot.

Also, one of the most important reasons to choose a 560 over a 496 is the GDL39 ADS-B traffic and weather support. The free ADS-B traffic and weather support on the Aera 5XX unit is superb.

Even though the Aera 5XX only has a single serial port, when you connect a GDL39, the second serial port on the GDL39 acts as a pass through port for the original port so you can continue to drive an autopilot even after you add the GDL39.

The bare wire mount can be surface mounted to your instrument panel without having to buy a third party panel mount, so you can snap the unit in/out with ease (by pressing a button) if you choose to do so.

Thanks,
Steve

496 shows the weather nicely with either XM or GDL39. (I have both)

I use XM for music and GDL for weather on the 496.

GDL is bluetooth to the iPad so that's where I'm looking for charting and traffic.

Is the traffic display significantly improved on the Aera?

496 shows the weather nicely with either XM or GDL39. (I have both)

I use XM for music and GDL for weather on the 496.

GDL is bluetooth to the iPad so that's where I'm looking for charting and traffic.

Is the traffic display significantly improved on the Aera?

Hello Rob,

We are glad you are happy with your 496, but you might want to check your XM subscription. We suspect the 496 is showing XM weather since it cannot show FIS-B weather from a GDL39. This is explained in the Compatibility section of the GDL39 manual.

We support ADS-B traffic on the 496 from a connected GDL39, but it is a bit more limited. As explained in the GDL39 manual, the 496 is limited to showing 8 traffic targets.

The Aera 5XX provides support for up to 30 targets, provides Target Trend information on the traffic page, and shows the Flight ID of ADS-B Out aircraft. Additionally it shows the status of the TIS-B service.

Thanks,
Steve

I have a Garmin 396 currently installed in the RV-8 I just bought with an Airgizmos panel mount and it's driving the Dynon D-180 autopilot.

I also own an Aera 560 with an Airgizmos panel mount. Both mounts are the same, use the same panel hole size and also the same attachment holes so it would be very easy to replace one with the other however then comes the wiring and compatibility issues with my Dynon system.

They both need a database software update.

My plan is to also use the uAvionix Echo which gives me ADS-B OUT & IN and unless one of these two accepts that input to display the weather and targets on their displays I'll most likely use an iPad Mini for that (and as a navigation backup with WingX).

So my questions:

1- Will the 396 or the Area 560 display ADS-B IN from uAvionix?

2- Is the Aera 560 compatible with the Dynon D-180 autopilot servos?

3- Aside from 12+ and ground, how many other wires will I have to end up connecting, 2 or 3 or is it more like a dozen?

AND THE BIGGEST QUESTION is it true that the Aera display is harder to see than the 396 display?

Thanks. I also read somewhere that in turbulence there's nothing like the 396's simplicity pushing buttons versus touchscreen and a few other things easier to use like the NEAREST button.

I know you didn't ask this question but Bobby brought it up ;) The 660 is hands down the best portable GPS I've ever used and i've had them since the GPS 76 model....

i know there are a lot of other units that might be better or worse but the 396 and the Aera 560 are the ones I already own. That's why I'm trying to get info on just those 2, thanks.

I'm lost with your post. As I'm mentioned, I already have the 2 units I just need to know about switching them. I don't want to buy more GPS units or trade these in.

I'm lost with your post. As I'm mentioned, I already have the 2 units I just need to know about switching them. I don't want to buy more GPS units or trade these in.
I suspect he was replying to the original post asking for opinions on the relative merits of the 496 over the 560. You asked a completely new question in the middle of an unrelated (or maybe semi-related), 7 year old thread.

I suspect he was replying to the original post asking for opinions on the relative merits of the 496 over the 560. You asked a completely new question in the middle of an unrelated (or maybe semi-related), 7 year old thread.

Yep it was semi related so I didn't want to start yet another thread just for that. Anyway he deleted the comments so I guess he realized that now. Thanks.

Back