What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gouge on Pompano Beach

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
We're flying down the last week of June to KPMP for a week at the beach and then over the Ft Myers to be with my in-laws for the 4th. Any PIREPS on KPMP and/or the local Pompano area?

The main PIREP is that Palm Beach is class C, but thinks they are class B. They will vector you all over the place if you are IFR. Also, several airports there have 2 runways the start st the same point and the traffic can be a little crazy. Just stay aware. Also, watch for presidential TFRs.

If you don't want to talk to anyone, just stay west of highway 27 and enter PMP from the west. On the ocean side, just stay above 4500 and you clear all of the air spaces. As stated, watch for tfr's.

The main PIREP is that Palm Beach is class C, but thinks they are class B. They will vector you all over the place if you are IFR. Also, several airports there have 2 runways the start st the same point and the traffic can be a little crazy. Just stay aware. Also, watch for presidential TFRs.

Thanks! Do the Palm Beach issues you mentioned have any significant impact on Pompano which is just outside Ft Lauderdale Class C when coming from the Orlando area?

Also do you know if they tend to issue STARs for non-turbine aircraft when inbound IFR?

As I said, they think they are class B. They send people as far out as lake Okechobee. If VFR, then you can go where you want.

I think KPMP is class D airspace just outside Ft Lauderdale class C. Arriving from the west makes the most sense to me!

Plan your flights for the morning hours. In June thunderstorms pop up like clockwork every day. Flying over the shoreline is usually smoother than inland.
Don't know about IFR but VFR Palm Beach will have you go over the top at 2000 or 1 mile offshore at or below 500.

I used to be based in Pompano, the controllers there are very nice, you won't have any issues.
The usual reporting points for Pompano are the Landfill (northwest) and the Light house (north shoreline, between Pompano and Boca). Look those up on the sectional.
There's a lot of flight training going on in the Coral Springs training area about 10 miles NW of Pompano. They talk on 123.45. Avoid that area if you can or check in early with Pompano.

Lenny # Anthony
How hard is it to fly the coast from St Augustine to Miami? does your airport have any over night hanger parking? going to be there for a week the first of April.

Tim,

It's not that hard. Daytona's airspace is pretty much similar to what i wrote about Palm Beach above. Lots of flight training there.
Lots of traffic following the shoreline too. Get flight following, or if you are down low (which is really nice) just keep talking to the class D towers. It makes for good practice and they call out traffic for you.
To get through the restricted airspaces around the Kennedy Space Center, just follow the interstate I-95 down and you'll be out of them. Check their schedule https://sua.faa.gov/ before you leave.
It's all great down to Pompano and maybe Ft Lauderdale. Miami will likely not talk to you, so you'll need to go under their airspace, which still puts you close to the shore. Even more traffic there, helis, banner tows, para gliders so be careful. It's easy to get distracted.
Use your ADSB traffic but know that there's more traffic than it shows.

The hangar and tiedown situation in Pompano may be different now than when I was there, because of the TFR madness in PBI. They used to have overnight hangar space, but it's not cheap. My hangar rent there was $850/mo a year ago. Give Sheltair a call to make sure.

Airglade 2IS

Stop at Airglade SI2 by lake Okeechobee on the west side to buy gas, was cheap the last time I was there...then 50 miles or so to PMP. Bought 4 gallons at PMP and they gave me a free night tie down. Good people and you get to see the GoodYear blimp which is based there.

At Airglades, beware the finicky credit card reader at the self-serve pumps. I got the message, "Transaction Not Approved." The bank had no record of the event when I checked later that day.
Bring additional cards just in case.

At Airglades, beware the finicky credit card reader at the self-serve pumps. I got the message, "Transaction Not Approved." The bank had no record of the event when I checked later that day.
Bring additional cards just in case.

+1000 on this one. Stopped with a work plane after dropping the owners off in Key West - thought I'd be nice and top off with some cheap 100LL. Middle of summer, 1000 degrees, and get to play stump the chump with the cc reader. I finally just give in and use my personal cc and it works. Decide to go 'in' to cool off and file for my next leg. 'In' is a couple of stools in the corner of a maintenance hangar; in the shade, but just slightly cooler than the ramp. After sweating all over my iPad, I'm filed. I crawl my sweat-soaked body onto the plane's nice leather. Oh Airglades...never again...:D

Back