What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One or two steps

RVdreamin

Guys....I purchased a left and right step for the 9A, but I got to thinking if I could get a way with one on the left side (Realize none are required). The single passenger could simply enter on the left side and step across to the right side. Bottom line if you want a step will just one work fine? Is there an advantage to having two?

Install both. I put only one thinking of an occasional passenger. Couple hundred riders later I wish I've installed another one :)

One will work. I put in 2. The advantage of 2 is when you want to get in on the other side so you don't have to walk around the plane while your working on something inside the cabin, or you and passenger get in or out at the same or nearly same time.

I'd probably put in 2 again.

Jim
RV9a

Just always be aware to assure that both are not used at the same time.

Both...

Absolutely both in my opinion. Silly not to.

And yes, one time, without thinking I and my passenger were on the steps at the same time. Almost banged the tail, but I stepped off quickly.

Michael-

fall off

Put on two, then the one on the passenger side will vibrate off like mine and so many others did, so you will be left with one. I haven't fixed mine and one works fine.

Mod is reinforcement of the welds on standard steps. They tend to crack over time if not reinforced. Easier to do before installation than after.

When I got the 7a it only had one installed. I had a second installed on the pilot side. It was a PITA and expensive to have the second installed (I'm sure most around here could do the work, so it would probably be cheaper/easier).

I definitely would recommend the second step!

Jim

Just always be aware to assure that both are not used at the same time.

+1 !!! Diane and I learned the hard way. Fortunately we jumped off in time before the tail hit the ground. :eek:

Very careful about that now. :rolleyes:

Steps

I didn't install any on my -9 and sometimes wish I had of. Seems like to me, given the history of cracking, that this is one area that could be improved somewhat besides the welded gusset. Maybe a removable step or one without all those rivets on the outside. The design works but it's ugly. 😄 Both steps on my -6a cracked out. Resonance frequency does some weird things. Rambling done.

I have one, and I don't use it. Tens of passengers, never an issue not having one on that side of the plane, except for those over 80, where I doubt the step would have helped enough (used a step stool).

Back